Sign in to follow this  
FreeEnterprise

Rip Colin Winkelmann

Colin Winkelmann died on Sunday August 7th.

My thoughts and prayers go out to this great BMX Legend.

Please pray for his family, the people at DK, and his friends including the guys down there in NC.

wow...

R.I.P. Colin

great rider and a good guy too

Drew

Ouch! Sad news. What happened? Style all his own. Sorry to hear that one. Thanks for bringing it up though.

Peace ahead Colin.

found this on another site:

apparently 3 days ago colin and his girlfriend got into a huge fight and she left. Colin started talking about suicide(nobody took it serious), cause colin was always a happy guy. After 3 days, nobody had heard from him, so alan cooke and his buddy gary nichols were wondering where colin had been. Gary goes over to colins house, and finds all the doors are locked. He gets into the garage and colin was laying on the garage floor with some blood coming out of his nose. The way it seems is that he died of carbon monoxide, he turned on his chopper and sat there in the garage until the fumes killed him.

Justin

Colin was a great rider and probably a great guy, may he rest in peace. With that said, I have to say, shame on him for being so selfish! No one is worth killing yourself over and puting everyone else through that! Think of Gary, and what he witnessed. He will always have to live with that image of Colin. Ok, nuf rantin and ravin, just my 2cents.

If you put your trust/hope/aspirations in another person you will always be disappointed. God is the only one capable of handling those feelings without failing you.

A personal relationship with gee golly is the only way to find true satisfaction and peace from your life, especially when you are going through the tough times in life.

Glenn

Amen Glenn ! Rip Colin ! What a shame ! :(

So ok, 9 years later, I finally figured out who this guy was. I had seen his video's of  madness, jumping like 10 or more cars, being pulled by a motorcycle to atain the speeds. And the famous moving ramp jump he did.... I never knew his name until tonight, surfing the web...

Heres an insight into his demise... He was destined for greatness until this jump ruined his feet..

Crap, I cant seem to delete black background.. Heres his story anyways....

Winkelmann, Colin - this super-talented bicycle distance jumper from Greenville, North Carolina was born on February 26, 1976 in Columbus, Ohio. He owned the following distance world records when he died:

Ramp to ramp, ramp gap: 85 feet over 13 sport/utility vehicles on a DK bicycle at Paramount Ranch, CA in March 2001; Ramp to ramp, total jump distance of 116 feet, 11 inches, same jump; and Ramp to ramp, clear gap, 79 feet, same jump.

His jump over 13 SUVs was also the world record jumping a bicycle over cars. He was a competitor in the X Games, Gravity Games and many other competitions.

He was a professional rider, product designer and developer for DK bicycles and a bicycle mechanic.

The 29 year old innovator was seriously injured in a crash in late 2004 during a best trick contest at Travis Pastrana's compound where he attempted a jump over a conversion van moving head-on and shattered both ankles, dislocated his left ankle, double dislocated his right ankle, shattered his tibia in the left leg and mangled some cartilage, broke his navicular bone and dislocated two other bones in his left wrist, and fractured his L3 vertebrae.

He was just getting back to riding again after months of being bed-ridden and wheelchair bound.

Distraught after the breakup between him and his girlfriend which resulted in her leaving, he committed suicide on  August 11, 2005 when he started his chopper in the garage and inhaled the fumes.

Three days later his friends Alan Cooke and Gary Nichols were curious about his absence, so Gary Nichols went to his house and saw that all the doors and windows were locked, then got into the garage and found Winkelmann's lifeless body there. This heartbreaking event rocked the BMX world to the core. He was a giant of bicycle distance jumping who will be sorely missed.