Sign in to follow this  
adrock

Haro Freestyler 85

Hi I got what I think is a pretty original Haro Freestyler 85 (white) this weekend. I want to retore it to its original glory and wondering what where the componants that the bike came with... Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Adam :24: :24:

would help to know what haro it is, is it the sport or master,, post a pic if you can, someone will be able to help

graeme

Welcome Adam ! I just finished an 85 Haro Master so I know what your about to go through ! I used some parts that weren't avalible till 86 but it doesn't bother me. In 85 you would want to run a Diacompe MX hinged post clamp, an Anlun post, a Dominator seat,Dia-Compe FS 880 front brake,Dia-Compe FS 880 with a quick-release feature in the back,Alloy hub Tuff wheels or Peregrines or 36 spoke Ukia wheels,85 Haro bars, Sigino 400 redline cranks, MKS graphite pedals, no Rotor or Gyro, Red Line Forklifter stem,Hatta head set,Oakley B-2 grips and Dia-Compe Tech 4 levers. I hope I covered everything ! Here check out this site ! You can look around and this will probable help you. Brian

Old Haro.com

Here is a pic of mine that I just finished

Midlantic_BMX_Gathering061.jpg

That bike is just too B E A UTIFL!!!

:14:

Doh... Yeah sorry guys its a Master... and here are some picts (I was in a rush to get the question out!). Anyone out there with some white or blue skyway tuffs or white Haro bars to sell (or donate!?) please contact me... iwantthat1@hotmail.com.

Brian... that bike is SICK!! Awesome dude! Thanks for the parts run down and the link to the site.. most helpful!

DSCN0016.jpg

No Problem ! Glad to help ! Keep us updated on the progress and try to get a better pic. Thanks for the kind comments on the Master guys !

Brian- That Haro link is DOPE! Kewl stuff, thanks for sharing!

Please don't restore that bike ! I'm begging you ! That is the cleanest all original 85 Master I have seen yet ! That bike $hits on mine !

killer bike...i know brian is crying right now...cuz i just got home from his house...keep that thing original...why u might ask??? CUZ THEY ARE ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!! Ask anyone...but some do like their bikes looking like they just got out of the bike shop...your choice...still a killer bike!!!

Jon

Guys... I'm keeping it as is! Might very carefully clean up the chrome.. but thats it... I love the original look too.

Thanks for all the coments and advice. I went through the list Brian, and its all there... it even has the original Oakley B 2's, white Diacompe break pads (which are mint!) and the original National Panaracer Freestyle tires. The guy I bought it from must have had riden it a few times and then stuck it in his garage for the last 20 years!

What would this Haro be worth in this original condition? I'm just interested... I am not selling it as this was my favorite bike when I was younger.. untill some C**T stole it!

Time to concentrate on the GT now!

Adam a bike is really only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But in your case I would imagine that would be a whole lot ! $2000 range ? That's just my opinion but I'm sure someone will blast me for it LOL That bike is just in great condition and all the parts are there. Anyone can hunt down parts and build a bike but that bike had the parts picked out for it by the Man him self "Bob Haro"or someone close to him. You have to think, in 85 Freestyle was still young and a lot of people were buying F&F sets not complete bikes not to mention how many kids got the complete bikes and ripped them down ! That is one rare piece of Freestyle history ! Please cherish it till you can hand it off to an offspring or something ! Brian

That Haro is full OG, and GEORGEOUS, if you change a thing, we will kick yer @$$!!! J sorta K ;)

If ya ride it much, I would allow stand in tires and brake shoes, but please keep that in one piece! That is a total piece of history, and havent seen on as nice since I built em up in my LBS in 1985.

Great find, enjoy it, or make a mint off of it, I don't care either way, just DON'T MESS WITH IT!

Drew

:13:

Dont worry guys its not going to be touched! Just riden with love!

I only asked about the 'worth', just to put my mind at rest that I didnt pay too much for it (as I am broke at the moment!)... and prices are always higher in the UK.

Good point about people just buying the frames and forks when it first came out... or getting the bike and changing bits and pieces... thats why I could believe nothing had been touched!

As for selling it... I doubt that will ever happen... its now a family Heirloom :) ... but if I do go mental... prior to being locked up, you guys will get first refusal!

Cool Stuff ! I'm glad to hear that yet another survivor will survive ! What did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking ? Brian :40:

Brian... I paid £302... which is roughly $650 (in real money!) The guy was selling it on ebay in the UK. One s**t picture and no real discription. It was listed as a 'Haro Freestyle', and didnt have BMX in the title... so I guess a few people missed out on it. I took a punt and it seemed to have paid off. Its not about if I am going to make anything on it.. I've just got a nice bit of BMX history... I'm so happy about it I cant stop looking at it!

Pulled a 180 bunny hop first time on it, after 15 years off... so yeah I'm hooked again!

Next is to build my bike.. I think I've got some nice parts... I feel another question coming on...

? Need I say more ?

I agree with all of the above posts! Both bikes, Adrocks' and Newguy's look great. I'm an avid 80's Haro fan myself and I am the original owner of an '87/'88 (I believe '88) Haro Master, mint green and turqoise (sorry no pics as of yet). I can kick myself for being young and replacing some of the pieces, b/c now I'm trying to restore it as original. Anyway, just wanted to chime in. Re: the purchase price or value worth ?, I think you got a great deal. I've seen good/mint '80's Haro Master frames go for @ $450 to 500, and complete good/mint Haro Masters go for upwards of $600 on eBay and other sell sites. Since that one looks pretty much as mint can be, I'd say you got a great deal. I wouldn't even ride it since it's in such great shape. How many 20 y/o bikes can you get in factory/mint condition, and on top of that it's a Haro Master AND in a specialty genre that was just taking off at the time (see http://www.vintagebmx.com/). I applaud you for the find!

I also share your sentiment about the theft. My best friend at the time, had a '87 red/black Haro Master with all the "Team" version goodies stolen out of his garage in the early 90's... That was a sad day. It was either someone who knew what it was and what it was worth, or some thug who didn't give a crap and it's now rotten or rusting away in someone's garage/basement...

One question, what's up with the UK prices on Peregrine 48s??? There's a set on eBay right now for GBP price of 150 or 120, which is currently about US $263 or 211... Astronomical prices, although the wheels are mint/nos, but still... Geez! LOL