Sign in to follow this  
SYCLONE0182

Need Help From The Experts. Diamondback Turbo?

So long as it was marked and the buyer was aware. I doubt he could fix it and have it rechromed without losing the etching. I'll pose this question again. Has anyone gotten a Five Gold painted with the DB logo? I guess that one will go unanswered since someone seems to think a real seat might be worth $1000. Know what? I'd rather buy the $125 Five Gold and have a $50 logo professionally painted on it. Then I could spend the leftover $800 finishing my Turbo. That is if I had a Turbo.

You guys are making me drool... Please tell santa that I want one of those....

for now I will just have to live with these lower end models...

http://www.conwaycleaners.com/files/bikepics/formula1.htm

:24:

sk8bones, I never said that a near mint suede Turbo Seat was worth near $1000, I just know that someone has paid near that amount for one of these seats.

I applaud all of the restoration attempts on these Turbos, but let me stir the pot a bit (not to ruffle feathers) do any of you guys see anything wrong with re-popping any of these Turbo bits, or taking a regular suede Kashimax 5-gold and turning it into a "Diamond Back Turbo" seat? Or using a chrome Turbo-lite sprocket when the original Turbo Cranks had a brushed aluminum sprocket with no markings? Re-doing the smoke finish on a wadded up frame? Heck one could get a Senior Pro, have it smoked with re-pop decals and the right (or near enough) parts and you have a Turbo, that was never really a Turbo to begin with.

Sorry seems the Tim Cook in me is coming out, my Turbo is as original as the day I brought it home from the bike shop 21 years ago, but even though it is beautiful and the original finish is 99% intact, I still cringe knowing that it has white B1B sleeves instead of grey, (though I see many pics of Harry and Eddy running white sleeves) and green label Comp IV's (couldn't stand the rainbow III's).

Anyone?

I know there is nothing like the real thing, but real just ain't always a reality. I thought Turbos had special tires too. I read they had little ribs between the knobbies. I would love fake cages for these, and I'm going to look into having the deck repainted too. There's no way I'm paying $200+ for the real thing. Whether I win the lottery tomorrow or not. I'm a cheap azz, and if that makes me a cheater so be it. I would never tell someone they were real, but I'm all hung up on this being honest thing. It seems to be in rather short supply.

titrons.jpg

RICH....do you by any chance remember where you got the stickers at? And if so do you know if they have some still available. And if your interested in selling the seat drop me a line. Thanks. :32:

scary leary,

My post was not meant as a "whine" as you put it, or to ruffle any feathers. You are doing and excellent job restoring your bike, as is that beatifully restored specimen you buddy did in the U.K.

Me having an intact Turbo is not a luxury, I had a couple of bikes that were stolen from me in late 83 (out of our garage) and my parents put in a claim on their homeowner's insurance policy, they recieved a check and my brother and I were allowed to choose ONE bike each with the rest of the money going to our college fund (what a joke). I picked a Turbo and fortunately or unfortunately soon after I got it bmx kind of fell by the wayside for me and she was put in my closet where it sat for almost 10 years in the dark. I don't think it's a luxury anymore than Rich Farside having those awesome gold "Team" Turbo decals.

I suppose my post was meant more to see if I could get a reaction out of the anti-repop crowd, (which I am a closet member of) but again, it seems we only are against repopping certain items from certain manufacterers while others are fair game.

I didn't mean to offend you with the comment about the chain wheel, and yes I do know that the chain wheel is stamped "Sugino 44T" or whatever size it was (I think they came in 42, 43, 44, and 45T in the crank set kit) I was the one who pointed this out in a previous post about Turbo Cranks. What I meant was that they were devoid of anything that marked "DB" or "Diamond Back".

The Diamond Back Turbo like the Hutch Pro Star is a very unique bike in that it had many model specific parts and it is nice to see them as "original" as possible. A Turbo-Lite sprocket while not "correct" at least is the same shape and actually says "DB" so it beats putting just any sprocket on there (though Harry ran a regular black Sugino sprocket many times). That you are going to be able to get the seat foiled with the "Diamond Back" logo is amazing.

I am one of the lucky one's, I bought one brand new and it has survived for over 21 years. You guys keep doing what you can to realize your dream bikes whether they are a Turbo or a replica of Stu's Huffy Pro Lightning. All that matters is that you are happy with your aquisition or restoration.

Again I offer my apologies if anyone was offended.

As far as the tires are concerned, the early Turbo's had a Comp II like skinwall made by IRC with the Diamond Back embossed in raised letters on the side, later in 83 Diamond Back switched tire sponsors to Mitsuboshi and the Turbo (and Silver Streak)

came with (at first yellow label) Comp III's. When I got my Turbo in 84 I pulled it out of the box and it had green/yellow label Comp III's. By the time Mitsuboshi changed the label to a blue/grey Comp III the Turbo was long gone.

Sk8bones, I am curious to read the same thing you did where the Turbo had special tires with ribs between the knobbies as the only tires that had that were the Mitsuboshi Comp IV and the Turbo (at least from what I know and what Sandy has told me) never had those as an OEM part. I did read in an 85 BMX Plus! when they did a test on the "new" turbo (the grey non loop-tail) that Harry was running a Comp II-like skinny rear DB tire and a Mitsuboshi Comp IV fatty up front.

By the way, what is an "mk1" Turbo?

The "floval" shaped piece connecting the rear triangle with the bottom bracket was on all of the Diamond Backs through 1983, why the hole was there who knows. my Silver Streak came with a kick stand but it was mounted on the rear axle. By 84 this piece was gone and the rear ends on the lootails were 2 piece and the F1 and Turbo Lite, and subsequently the Super Streak and Viper models went away from the looptail to a four piece rear.

The "new" grey Turbo also went to a four piece rear end in 86.

No need to apologize Ramon, send me a DB turbo frame pad and we'll call it quits…:12: :32:

I refer to the large gusset turbo as a mk1.

Edited by scary_leary

OK, so I was wrong on the tires. Thanks for clearing that up. Did IRC make Kuwahara labeled tires too? Were the manufacturer labeled tires Racer X-1's?

I have a Diamond Back restoration question. My buddy has his childhood Silver Streak, and I would love to help him restore it at some point. The anno is faded on the cranks and the pedals are scratched up. If they were to be re-anno'ed how would I get the silver to show in the appropriate places on the cranks? Is there an acid I could use, or is it something that needs sanding/blasting?

db1.jpg

sk8bones, IRC did make the "Racer X-1" tires, and they also made the "Z-1" tire which is what the Diamond Back private label tire was based off of. Kuwahara also used IRC tires as original equipment/parts.

As far as the annodizing for the pedals and the cranks, any good annodizing shop can strip them and then mask what you want to leave silver while annodizing the rest.

Does anyone have a copy of any magazines from 84 or so with a test of the 84 turbo in it or have it where they could send me a copy of it. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE. :25:

604472-AA-0-A2-A-493-B-B42-B-1135-E2-F8-Just found my old HLT in storage. It’s been there since the early 90’s. Not really sure if I should restore it completely or just clean it up and leave it as is. 

Very nice!

Leave it as-is and just clean it up. Maybe cables/tires/grips if they're trashed. It's only original once.

Thanks for the advice. I just see everyone doing full restore jobs to these bikes. The bearing need to be replaced. Do I spend the big bucks on NOS Japanese bearings or put on china bearings? 

depends on what you are going to do once it's finished - ride it or just "have" it.  if you're not going to ride it, I'd just clean/lube the original bearings best as possible. If I was going to ride it, I think I'd get some current bearings, but hang on to the originals.