Sign in to follow this  
dynoJ

88' Master Queston

I am an auto mechanic by trade, so I already have the air compressor with a water separator attached. Not to mention the connections to get the paint and such at a decent price. I bought a name brand IR spray gun for $40 and the blaster was a gift from my wife, about $40+$15 for media. I have less than $50 in paint, and I have enough to easily paint 5 more bikes. I bought 8oz of each color. The brand and such is listed in my last post. Acrylic base coat that requires a clear coat. You will have some money into reducers, primers and fillers too. It would have cost me about 150-$200 to have it powdered or painted by somebody else. I never do things the easy way. But if you fix alot of bikes this is a good way to learn and do things for yourself. I have another post where I did a whole bike with spray cans, worked good, scroll down and check it out. Justin

Great looking base there Justin...

What kinda of wheels are going on it?

cyclecatt hooked me up with some Peregrine HP superpro's. I can't wait to get this thing rollin' It may be a couple of weeks, I have to go to England this weekend for work :( I hope to get more done this week. J

How's the Master coming along, Justin?

You interested in painting another one? :whistle:

It's coming along, I am waiting for our body guy to bring me some clear coat. Hopefully it will be done and stickered this week. I have it all preped and ready for the clear. I can do yours if you want, I have plenty of paint left over. just let me know. Justin

Cool beans daddy-o! I'll shoot you an email so we can work out the details.

I still owe you a CD w/ some scans on it anyway.... :whistle:

I finally got the clear coat on! After hours of wet sanding and a little buffing, Here she is. I should have stickers on by the weekend, I can't wait to get this thing done!

DSC01577.jpg

FRESH ! Nicely done ! :12:

Looks damn good, J!

Can't wait to see it built up! :Live2ride:

the stickers are on at last, what a pain in the azz! So my colors don't match exactly. The clear seemed to darken the base coat. I sprayed some clear over a tester sticker and it works fine. I think I will clear over the whole thing and see if that brings it together. Alot better than it was!

DSC01579.jpg

It's just amazing how pictures change and distort the colors. It now looks like its blue! :blink:

No matter what, it's a damn site better looking than what it started out as. Great job, Justin. :32:

That's looking really nice! I almost wish I would have done my 87-88 master in the same colors. I ended up doing mine black/blue because the guy I had powder it couldnt get close enough to matching the teal color.

I wouldn't worry about the decal teal not matching the painted teal correctly. The 88's never did, even when they were brand new from the factory. What you have there looks exactly correct!

That's gonna be a hot bike, man!

You ain't lying, Brutha! :nobull: There were not many companies that could match the stickers and the paint!!! :True:

It's hotter than hellsbells. :24:

Still missing some "era correct" parts here and there but it will be rideable by the end of the week! I am not going to waste my time painting the imitation bars. I will wait till I get some real ones

DSC01612.jpg

:14: LOOOOOKIN" GOOOOOOD!!!! :nana:

S I C K ! LOOKIN GOOD !

I had it done at Airline Plating, on airline rd, north side of town.

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!! I had a problem w/ the little arrogant punk behind the counter! They can do a excellent job, when they feel like it, and the owner is cool. Steve

I know who you are talking about! We do alot of business with them, I can't say they treat us the best but you know how it is... BTW the black color on AJK's stickers will bleed when clear is sprayed on them! I figured out a trick, but I thought you guys should know :blink:

I was told that Guss, the owner of Bright Metals, is brothers w/ the owner at Airline Plating. It is a pleasure to do buisness w/ him, and his work is perfect. Steve

Wow, Great job.

I just read the whole post again, it is cool to see the progression from start to finish.

The bike looks just like new now. (I remember those stickers not matching the color of the frames too.) So you actually made it look exactly like the old ones...

Great job.

88 Master is one of my favorite bikes. Love those wrap around pegs on the forks.

One of my riding buddies (Greg Requate) still has both of his, I rode them many times.