Sign in to follow this  
ronoc101

Short History Of Jad...

so i just got off the phone with Mike JAD and he broke down the history of JAD to me...here is a rough version:

JAD started about 1995. he 1st was talking to his boss who was a biking fanatic, about why all bikes looked the same. 10,000,000 bikes in china, and they all look the same...2 triangles. mike says that if you put 4 engineers on the job to design a human powered vehicle, that is light weight and economic, none of the designs would be the same, and they probably wouldnt look like regular bikes. so his boss asks him what kind of bike would he design (enter foot into mouth). so armed with only a chopsaw and drill, mike gets the materials together and builds the first JAD bike held together with bolts after a month. he then takes the frame to a friends and asks to use his welder and welds it together. when i asked him about the design he said: "how do you bend only one big tube...one tube design = no flex..."

so someone hears about his frame or something, and this guy ?Muller? some nuts rider wants to test it, and there happend to be a bmx plus photographer there, and so this Muller guy is trying his hardest to break this frame, riding as crazy as possible, and ends up hurting himself before anything happens to the bike. pictures were taken, and next thing mike knows, he and his frame are in the magazine, getting all sorts of hype.

so he goes into the bike making business, and hes wondering what to name the company. his wife comes to him and says JAD. hes like whats that mean? the "J" and "A" are his kids initials and the "D" is for their last name. he thought it was great and it stuck. he builds a machine shop around the company and takes off.

the crank idea came from a JAD rider Eric Simmons, who as Mike says "went through cranks like breadsticks" so Eric asks Mike to make him some cranks that wont break, and off Mike went and designed the cranks. He says he drew them up on a napkin "that they bring you that horrible food on", while in the hospital getting his annual checkup, and now we have the cranks you see today.

he once took the machine that he tested the frames on to Interbike in Las Vegas. the machine took a frame, fork and wheels, and applied 250 pounds of pressure (to imitate a rider) and slammed the bike up and down from 5mph-30mph to see if it would break. so a guy from a company in the UK comes up to him and says he wants to buy this machine. Mike says i sell bikes not machines, and the guy says that his company spent $1.5 million to build a machine that did the same thing and didnt even work half as well...i dunno if he sold it to them though...

around 200 of each sized frames were made: 20", 24", 26" race frames, a flatland/freestyle frame called the "Sherman" and 12 mountain bikes. they also made forks, cranks, hubs, stems, bars, and maybe some other stuff.

he was in business for 5 years, and finally gave it up when he received a fax from a company in China, that had gotten one of his frames. they sent him a drawing of the frame and said that they would sell him frame and fork sets for $25 each built and painted. now, he was spending $80+ on each frame in materials alone here in the US. i guess this drew the line and he called it quits around 2000.

Mike JAD seems like a REALLLY cool guy, full of information, and stories. he was telling me about how he got burned by a guy who said that he wanted some cranks in each size he made for examples for his company. he gave him the cranks, and never heard from him again. when he finally realized hed never get paid for them this is what he said: "I finally let it go, because I realized that if you maintain hatred in your heart, it will poison everything around you"......word...

so this is what i can remember from what he just told me, if anything else comes to mind ill add it later...

conor

Very cool info there Ronoc. Thanks big time for sharing all that. I have always liked JAD stuff. Now I like it even more. Great information there. Love those kinds of details.

I was completely out of BMX by 1990. So the JAD name meant nothing to me when someone would talk about it here. I oftened wondered what the story was behind it. That was a pretty good run down of it! Thanks for the info. I now have a little respect for the name. Even though they weren't around BITD.

:18: Great thread! I love stuff like that.

Thanks

SB

JAD started about 1995.
??

BMX Plus! july 1993 : A new bicycle company in San Diego has come up with its own version of a high-performance race bike: the Jad. Take a good look at the photo and you will see that the Jad is a tad different than ordinary garden-variety BMX bikes. No top tube, a megasized down tube and incredibly long Harley-style fork dropouts are some of the most noticeable oddities. Jad also offers custom stems, handlebars and crank arms (angled outward). The complete lad prototype weighs in at about 20-1/2 pounds and they claim that it is ready for some serious race action. For more information, write to Jad Bicycle Mfg., 10824 Explorer Rd., San Diego, CA 91941 or call (619) 581-6512.

This just popped up on Facebook, could this be one of the long lost Jad mountain bikes?? Sure does look like one.

Jad mtn. bike.jpg

JAD MTB frame I am guessing (I agree with ya Brett).  I have seen one of these somewhere before.  Though the stays on this one look different than I remember.

JAD started about 1995.

??BMX Plus! july 1993 : A new bicycle company in San Diego has come up with its own version of a high-performance race bike: the Jad. Take a good look at the photo and you will see that the Jad is a tad different than ordinary garden-variety BMX bikes. No top tube, a megasized down tube and incredibly long Harley-style fork dropouts are some of the most noticeable oddities. Jad also offers custom stems, handlebars and crank arms (angled outward). The complete lad prototype weighs in at about 20-1/2 pounds and they claim that it is ready for some serious race action. For more information, write to Jad Bicycle Mfg., 10824 Explorer Rd., San Diego, CA 91941 or call (619) 581-6512.

I now own the prototype that I won from a fab raffle page for a $100 spot I got one number out out of 25. In the posting of the frame it was posted the frame was made in 1991 and showed at the Vegas show and found in a crawl space. My plans are to build it as a rider how ever not ride it. And so far I need to find crank arms that clear the real of the frame yet still line up with the freewheel. I have been contacted but the new owners of JAD and they want to frame set. But we will see when that happens. Everything about this frame is crazy from the dropouts to the hand made headbadge. EEECD95E-D5E1-401B-9FA0-EB53894D6A5D.jpeg525908B3-0B92-408A-A371-59F2BDE3B5FD.jpegDD67B95D-1A39-406D-94AB-55CC6C2C14B1.jpeg83EDB1F9-06C1-4340-BA68-01D7C99152DC.jpeg89207ABA-67A2-40B9-AF4E-9A5A2CC0E523.jpeg