Sign in to follow this  
sam hudson

Db Silver Streak 100% Cr-mo?

Hi Guys

I posted this in another thread but i think that thread is old now and not being read.

I was always under the assumption that the Silver Streak was 100% Cr-mo.Now a very well informed fella has told me that the rear triangle was steel.He showed me an early spec sheet that Sandy had drawn up.

Now the thing is,magazines at the time definately stated that the streak was ALL cr-mo,and the fact that the Viper was out at the same time and had the steel rear,says to me that it doesnt make sense to have two similar spec'ed contempary(although different quality construction) bikes by the same company.

Also.On the spec that Sandy sent this guy,it says that the Streak had a three peice crank.Is this a U.S. spec? All the uk bikes had a one piece cr-mo crank.

So i dont know if the spec that Sandy sent was a very early one which was changed later or whether the uk bikes had a different spec to the U.S. bikes.

This isnt life or death :) but it would be interesting to clear it up.

Any help,gratefully recieved :14:

There was some fuzziness towards the mid-80's because of the Pacer500/Super Viper thing, and there are some Silver Streaks out there with small gussets that may have been full chromoly but made in Taiwan as was the Super Streak. But for the most part all of the early (at least through 1983) Silver Streaks were half chromoly half mild steel.

Thanks for posting Willinois!

Thats the same sheet that i mentioned.If you notice,the spec for the crank is three peice,wheras the cranks were one piece.

The streaks were sold as cr-mo and the vipers half cr mo.Its all strange.

Anyone got BMX action review?

Thing is,that spec(above)was from Sandy,and that man WAS Db.

Thanks guys. :24:

Hey Sam..i cant miss this thread..heres my close to factory stock 1984 silverstreak. only difference is the grips and the seat arent correct. they came with fuan grips and an aero seat... db rules!! :)

MVC_778F.JPG

BMXAction never tested the Silver Streak (to the best of my knowledge) The Silver Streak was spec'd to have either a one piece crank (Takagi or Sugino depending on the year) or a three piece Diamond Back stamped three piece alloy (basically a Sugino Maxy Cross), the early models had a regular chainwheel while the later models had a "turbo" style or "F1" style sprocket except it was black.

I spoke with Sandy at length about Diamond Back and he told me that they were always changing parts suppliers as to keep the price down, he also told me that many of the overseas market Silver Streaks were sold as kits and dealers (bike shops) built them any way they felt like it, sometimes with different color combinations other than the standard chrome/black, he said it was mainly in Australia and the U.K. that this happened but there I have heard of some Silver Streaks in the U.S. that were done this way.

My very first "real" bmx bike was a silver streak. I got it for Christmas of 82. Mine had the foam style grips, had Sugino Maxy Cross cranks (mine were stamped Maxy Cross and not Diamond Back). Mine also came with KKT Lightning pedals. But everything else was as stated on the spec sheet listed above.

I don't know if mine was relatively early and they changed or if shops just build them based loosely on the specs.

i have had this conversation before with str1.i remember the silverstreaks in the colored form...i think the db supplier was offering shops the colored kits...i remember installing the red db cranksets on a few streaks.the silver and black was what made me want one......thanks pat........ :)

streakwheels.jpg

Thanks guys.

I recieved a copy of BMX action bike(which was the uk's big bmx magazine).The review of the Streak from that states that its a cro mo frame.

The standard set up in the uk was oakley F1 copy grips and a 1 piece crank.

I guess that the magazine could have been mistaken about the steel rear triangle if DB didnt mention it to them when they delivered the bike.

Its not the end of the world or anything,its still a great bike-i just want to clear it up as i was clearly 'deluded by Db cro mo' as a child!! :6:

blah1.jpg

This is a pic of me on my streak as a kid.I was lucky enough to buy a virtually stock Streak 6 months ago,which originally came from a guy on your side of the pond

rightside.jpg

I wish i hadnt sold my original streak in 1985,not only because it was my first 'real racing' bmx but also because i had the original padset which is worth a LOAD of cash now :22:

Well thanks again for your help guys.If any one has any further items from magazines i think we'd all like to see them.

:jimmy: :18:

I’ll sell you one for $150 if you’re looking.

3A413BBA-C843-4C51-9B97-DDBB2463020F.jpeg