Sign in to follow this  
G-flash

Cebe Double Neck Stem

:ebay: Does any Bro no the history on the company Cebe? I have a double neck stem that I want to use on a mid 70's build but have no info on that company. :Live2ride:

i had one in the mid to late 70s on my stroker . i like em . looking for another as we speak .

I think my GJS has one. Check out the October, 1979 BMX Action for a stem shootout, which includes a Cebe stem.

As near as I can tell, at that point, it's basically the Mongoose gold stem, but, came in colors, as mine is red. I think blue and chrome were also offered.

it is similar to a gold stem . as were other double clamps of the time . but side by side they are very different . and yes blue and chrome were offered . i have seen a black one as well . but not sure if his was original finish . i love the more squared clamps on these .

I think there were 2 models. The one pictured above is the earlier model, but, the model in the shootout, and on my GJS I'm pretty sure is identical to a Mongoose.

I'll take some pictures later.

yeah mark . there were actually 3 models . this is the first . and the second looks just like it with the exception the clamps are counter sunk so the clamp bolts fit flush like a tuf neck etc . and the 3rd has the second gen clamps that are counter sunk . but has a different gusset . the first two had a mongoose type gusset. . and the last one had two thin angled gussets like a huffy stem .

I really appreciate the info. here guys... Nice to know there are people willing to help out and that I am not the only old school nerd interested in digging up dirt on these old parts. There are now 3 people I know with these stems and they really have a mysterious past, or at least the company does.

BTW, I looked back into the '79 October Issue of BMX Action and never saw the CEBE included in the "Stem Review/Shoot Out". I often scour through all those old issues and had been through that particular one before, but still don't see the CEBE there. Maybe I missed it? :Idunno:

Sorry, it's the Slimline/Sidewinder stem, which is the Cebe stem. You have to read the * comment which notes the stem is manufactured by Cebe.

Here's my GJS stem. Red, but, identical to the BMX Products stem, top and bottom.

Stem.GJS.JPG

Stem2.GJS.JPG

Stem3.GJS.JPG

I can get better pics later, sorry, was a rookie with macro mode at the time I took those.

Here's a couple more pics. Same general architechture, especially the wedge below. The Mongoose stems seem to have flange nuts. This one has standard nuts and lock washers. Clamps and hex bolts look the same.

Base plate seems to have a bit of a different cut to it. Gold stem sort of a straight edge base, the Cebe model a bit more cut around the edges.

IMGA0921.JPG

IMGA0922.JPG

IMGA0923.JPG

IMGA0924.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to post those pics Mark. :) They really are pretty decent stems and basically look like a copy of the Mongoose Gold Stems. The welds are really nice too, all things considered... Certainly a keeper from the late 70's.

Maybe I'll come across some history on the company at some point... There are so many mags to go through from that era. I'm thinking CEBE was an American company, but still not sure.

I think some Cebe stems were earlier than the Mongoose...or at least about the same time. I have three or four of the Mongoose style and a couple others that are older and I THINK are Cebe and are a completely different style, really heavy. All of them have hex head bolts. Sorry....no pics.

I'll look but I'm pretty sure there are some ads in the older BMX News (circa '75 and '76).

I think some Cebe stems were earlier than the Mongoose...or at least about the same time. I have three or four of the Mongoose style and a couple others that are older and I THINK are Cebe and are a completely different style, really heavy. All of them have hex head bolts. Sorry....no pics.

I'll look but I'm pretty sure there are some ads in the older BMX News (circa '75 and '76).

Cool Michael. Thanks for this... :)

Maybe the Goldstem was a copy of the CEBE then? It's almost as if you need to have a degree in Forensics to get to the heart of some this stuff! Looking forward to possibly seeing those scans you mentioned.

I know a shop somewhat locally where two Nos cebe stems are. I think they are black with silver clamps....pm me if interested and ill get them for cost. Probably $15-$20...not certain though

PM coming kerry ..

Stems spoken for...Mark and Donnie

Check out the new shirt I just bought... :(

if-you-snooze-you-lose!-male-t-shirt..jpg

Here are some close up shots of a Slimline Double Clamp Stem I have. Very similar to both CEBE & Mongoose Gold.

DEC_0102.jpg

DEC_0103.jpg

DEC_0100.jpg

DEC_0099.jpg

DEC_0096.jpg

nice slimline nah.I.mean.gif . where did you get that ? probably a good deal from a really cool dude in burbank .

Donnie,

I did get it from a real cool dude in Burbank. Handsome S.O.B. too!

Good eyes goosedrummer! Just picked it up tonight. It was covered with primer!!!!

DEC_0104.jpg

DEC_0105.jpg

DEC_0106.jpg

Donnie,

I did get it from a real cool dude in Burbank. Handsome S.O.B. too!

Good eyes goosedrummer! Just picked it up tonight. It was covered with primer!!!!

DEC_0104.jpg

DEC_0105.jpg

DEC_0106.jpg

DIBS !!!!! hahah sorry could not help it .

Here is one that came on a Mongoose I picked up back in '97. (a '77 frame.) The clamps and hardware were exactly the same as the the stem in Williams pics. The base on mine was cracked along one of the welds so I ended up using the clamps and hardware on another project. So when you come across these stems look at the welds closely!

DSC04834.JPG

DSC04836.JPG

DSC04835.JPG

DSC04837.JPG

I've kept it because I may still try to have it fixed.

From the 10/79 BMXA shootout, here was the subnote:

"The Slimline stem is exactly the same as the CYC Sidewinder stem. They are both manufactured by the Cebe Company. Only the names are different."

Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent!

Thanks for the info Mark! I always wondered about that!