Sign in to follow this  
PandaProAm420

All Things Panda

That was a really cool video.  I had an older neighbor that was a big Panda fan, but I didn't see many other Panda bikes in my area.

The first thing that struck me was the seat tube angle on that bike.  It makes more sense once it was explained that it was made to put the seat over the rear axle like a motorcycle.  The shocks, the drum brakes, the first freewheel, the oversized bearings, etc., damn that bike is really ahead of it's time.  I couldn't help but think, WTF, the guy came up with all those cool technical ideas and innovations and he doesn't have a proper bike stand for that thing?  :ROTFLMAO:

I really enjoyed the video though, I wish we had more videos of bicycle designers from the early days who could explain to us how they came up with their ideas and the improvements they were trying to make.  Good stuff.  :rockout:

:13:

I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS SUPER COOL THAT THE HEADSET, CRANK AND WHEEL BEARINGS WERE ALL THE SAME SIZE. MADE IT EASY TO PACK A PIT BOX

from Jan/Feb 1975 issue of Bicycle Motocross News

Jan_Feb_1975_BMXnews_Panda_Crop.jpg

way cool article, ill be sue to shoot that to Randy

That's a great video and of course that MX-4's a classic. One thing that I'm a little confused about is when exactly Carlo Lucia made the later Panda frames?

Great question! It is my understanding that Carlos made the ProAm's since their inception, and later the Boss and L/S frames and bars. You can just look at a Pandas welds and see if it was an assembly line bike, or a Carlos creation. Byron Friday can confirm or dispel this, he apparently wielded a torch up there in NorCal for Randal way back when as well.

Thanks for the lead. I'm trying to decipher the serials on Carlo Lucia-made Pandas but fear that may be as difficult as dating his Boss frames!

Pretty sure dropouts with serials were dumped in a bin and pulled out randomly. What frame are you trying to date?

Am interested in the 20", non-gusseted, Pro-Am frames from the early 80s and have seen a couple with the serial number E****. Any ideas?

Wow, hadn't seen this thread in a while. Lotta video rewriting of history going on here, sad.

I believe Carlo made all the Elites and Pro Ams. The last Pro Ams were the looptail Boss'.

I don't know if anyone saw it, but one of the Carlo-made, looptail frames popped up for sale over on the Museum this week. It was stickered up as a Boss and had quite a bit of chrome loss but was nonetheless tempting. Sadly somebody else snagged it whilst I was deliberating! Snooze and you lose, eh! Here's one of the sale pics:- 

Panda 11.jpg

Yeah, I regret not getting it when I had the chance. The extra cost of shipping to Japan always makes me more circumspect, and I was asking questions of the seller when someone pressed the BIN button. Maybe next time!

Edited by Mikku

EDIT, I looked and did post the pad but not any pictures of the Raider. Sorry that I can't get to it. I haven't got a chance to go through this whole post and I don't remember if I have posted it up but I have a 26" Panda and handlebar pad. Can't get to the Panda to take pictures though

Edited by mrraceinc

Below is another '82 Pro-Am frame (serial E1778) that recently popped up (and quickly sold) over on the Museum. Yes, I like these frames!

Panda 20.JPG

& just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, another killer Panda comes along!! Matched with Tange TRX forks, this one's currently for sale over on the Museum, and very nice it is too! If I hadn't well and truly blown my BMX budget this month, I'd be all over it!!!

IMG_1244.JPG

wmkent, NICE first post !!!!!! pure OS right there !!!!!

Few more. The one time I’m leading a race someone took a pic, and from a photo shoot for the paper promoting the AquaFest race. One more of my daily this last summer. Yeah, I know, the seat is high...

0878B3B7-8C6A-496C-AA7B-C433BB59134B.jpeg

E144F7ED-558F-4228-AB43-D87E86E70830.jpeg

ADC1ECD8-D48E-4BFE-A3FA-CBD9B809F13A.jpeg

Edited by wmkent
  • Like 4

Welcome to the site Kent. Great pics!!!

• Like 1

Some more Panda BlingSmiley.gif 26 in cruiser

according to the boss guys thats a boss cruiser with panda stickers. a panda should have the small patterson style b/b brace

Brian, I still shed a little tear every time I see her

• Like 1

This is my what I'm reasonably sure is a 76 MX, but after conversations with TrulyOdd and Mr.Panda, it's not quite rigged out right.  I have been able to find vintage triple clamp forks, but they are with the shock. I am lacing an Atom drum brake hub up for the rear. Working on some better bars. Still, it's a fun ride and kids at the track seem truly baffled that anyone would race it.

IMG_9627.JPG

IMG_9630.JPG

• Like 3