Sign in to follow this  
Rod Miles

Prodyne 26" school me please!

prodyne made one moutain bike out of a cruiser frame. larry brazed on all the necessary guides for the brakes and shifters. also mounts for a water bottle. the rear dropouts are modified campagnolo units. i hope this bike is still out there.

img283.jpg

• Like 3

here is another pic of the factory ride. classic gear of the day. the "n" at the end of ricks rear was the end of "wildman". this pic was taken in the grass section of the nba national at long beach veterans stadium, 1982 i believe.img206.jpg

• Like 2

That MTB would be easy to spot if it is out there.

Campy drops on a loop tail, something you don't see everyday.

The collar between the seat tube water bottle screws is odd.

Very helpful info and pictures. Thanks!!!!

More Please.

Important shots you have there. We are lucky to be able to see this stuff. Thanks for posting, Bryce.

here is a batch of prodynes gettin ready for paint. i can't really tell what size the bottom brackets are. so here are at least 22. maybe one is yours:)img282.jpg

Cool photo!

If you enlarge this shot you can see an American BB.

good call on the large bottom bracket . i do see that now. the collar on the seat tube between the water bottle mounts was to accomodate the front deraileur(spelling?) since most road bikes had a larger diameter seat post.

Larry is also the one responsable for putting together and hosting Jim's retirement party held at his welding shop which was at that time located in El Monte , CA. This was just prior to Jim's departure to Missouri.

Here's my scanned invitation for that event

jim melton farwell1.jpgjim melton farwell2.jpg

• Like 1

That was such a fun evening. We had wheelie drag races and a bunnyhop contest, which we used the forks of a forklift as the mark to clear. Thanks for posting this as I have never seen this, but it is worded in my dad's style of content and the map is in my dad's handwriting which I have not seen in a bit. It warms my heart!

• Like 1

Dragging this thread up from the basement. Bryce, does anyone know how many 26" and 24" frames your dad made? I read digging through the internet that approx 18 have been accounted for.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:02 PM, brycebarker said:

I never knew the exact amount. My best guess would have been a couple hundred at the most.

I guess that's more than I expected. Local friend of mine has a 26" he just pulled out of storage.

Oh man. I have a 26 that I was getting ready to sell or scrap. I’m so glad I found this thread. Now I’m going to refurb and keep it forever!

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:42 PM, JoshChi said:

Oh man. I have a 26 that I was getting ready to sell or scrap. I’m so glad I found this thread. Now I’m going to refurb and keep it forever!

Are you serious????? or are you fishing for drama?