Sign in to follow this  
Skyway4Me

Race Inc. History

I know this is an old thread and I am new to the site. I am on a bunch of other BMX sites but it seems I have found more info on Race Inc. here. I had one back in about 1981-82 but traded it for a GJS because the frame just didn't fit me even at the time. Back then we did a lot of trading back and forth. I think I had it about a week or two after it didn't fit me for racing. I was looking for a new frame late last year and was going carbon but came across the new Race Inc. frames, I hope this doesn't upset anyone and I know this is about old school and not new stuff. I just couldn't help but tell you about it. The guy that now owns the name is Chris and a nice guy for sure, I purchased the Race Inc. RA16 and love it and race it every weekend. So, let me get back on point.....I started to look up more info about the original Race Inc. to find out everything about it and here we are.  

Welcome to the site Scotty.

Do you happen to have any old pics of your bikes?

Not too many old pics, back then my mom rarely took a camera to the track. She has some in her attic, she says, but my mom is in her late seventies so it may take some time to find and go through them. I am an old schooler and raced until '87 and took a break for a long while. I came back to the sport 7 years ago and have been racing ever since. I came back to racing and showed up on a PK Ripper Retro with yes....Tuff Wheels! I wondered why everyone was looking at me so funny, well that and I could be described as a hippie, think I was wearing a Grateful Dead shirt. I bought a set of wheels that week and came back....the rest is history. I raced the Retro for 3 seasons and moved up to PK Ripper Elite XL until I purchased the Race Inc. I found the Retro was just to flexible coming out of the gate. Thanks for the add to the site. Hope this gets this thread stated back up! 

Yes we are aware of Chris's venture into starting a bike company using the Race Inc name. He's a nice guy. Sal (from SE fame) is his welder/fabricator. Glad you like your new frame. Welcome to the site.

Ya, leave it alone. It's a part of Race Inc's strange history with Bill Bastian who was a GREAT inventor / fabricator, but obviously had no morals dance.gif

Can you tell me what in the world this is? I bought it as a demo from a shop in Ohio in 1981. It looks like a Blazer frame, but it had Race Inc. stickers on it, Race Inc. forks, pads, handlebars, and seat post. Not sure what to think of this.

attachicon.gifDSC04277.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC04278.jpg

DSC04282.jpg

DSC04280.jpg

Jesus!!

• Like 1

Blazer?

He had the original reciept. It was a "Race Inc". Bill must have bought Blazer frames when they went under or something...

It never stops getting more interesting with that guy.

I know that dating these is a bit of a shot in the dark, but anyone have an idea of what RM50241 might be? I know it's an RM2, but it would be nice to know the year. Thanks in advance!

RM2.jpg

2xxxx = mid 1979
3xxxx = 1980
4xxxx = 1981
5xxxx = 1982
6xxxx = 1983
7xxxx = 1984

Thanks gentlemen! I'd seen that list or something like it somewhere before but couldn't remember where, so thanks for posting it.

I love learning the history of these old bikes . My research led me to joining this group . Here’s my 1976 Race Inc  RA7 . Building as a old beat up vintage rider ..9706CF3E-0947-4EB6-BE53-990A55EE00B0.jpeg

6E5CB6E1-1DB9-44DD-8A52-92E875D9D7F1.jpeg

C8376A58-944E-4DA7-8B82-B71457C3A3AF.jpeg

219C17E3-82ED-4A59-A3BB-292826A46022.jpeg

• Like 1

My Bastian fabricated Rampar that Brian Hays was kind enough to authenticate for me.

R7.jpg

R8.jpg

• Like 1

Love this stuff. Great bikes guys. My Foiler top tube original finish and decals 79 RA7.

20200418_171057.jpg

• Like 2

I thank you again Brian Hays for telling me what bikes my 2 frames actually wer and I def appreciate the time you spent posting the info . Since last weekend I stripped the race inc decals off the gold frame . I have the correct decals coming for the blue frame . Now where can I find a set of Laguna GT decals for the gold frame ? 

8 hours ago, VallejoPalBMX said:

Anyone know if FMF and Race Inc were tied together in manufacturing? Their frames and bars were identical to me back in the late 70’s. I rode a Race Inc for half a year and it’s the only frame I truly didn’t like. I was only 11 but before my Race Inc. I had a Redline Squareback in 77, then a G-Boy, R&R, and Panda. Scored a nice deal on a Race Inc. Flipped it for a tricked out XR75 and sold my Panda and ended up with a Harbor Lite through the shop’s support team-it was more just a marketing deal to sell Harbor Lite gear and frames, but it rode nice.

nope. nothing to do with each other :Frustration:

On 5/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, VallejoPalBMX said:

Anyone know if FMF and Race Inc were tied together in manufacturing? Their frames and bars were identical to me back in the late 70’s. I rode a Race Inc for half a year and it’s the only frame I truly didn’t like. I was only 11 but before my Race Inc. I had a Redline Squareback in 77, then a G-Boy, R&R, and Panda. Scored a nice deal on a Race Inc. Flipped it for a tricked out XR75 and sold my Panda and ended up with a Harbor Lite through the shop’s support team-it was more just a marketing deal to sell Harbor Lite gear and frames, but it rode nice.

Did you bother to read the thread? Yes Race Inc made Race Inc, FMF, Cycle Pro Foiler and Spoiler, Laguna GT, Peugeot CPX500, , Rampar, and all SE alloy frames (from 1977-1982). Race Inc made only Race Inc frames in 83 and 84 and then went belly up. Before Race Inc started in 1976, Bill Bastian Jr worked for Triple A Cycles who made the Rascal and Kawasaki mono shock. When Triple A went under Bill stole the frame design and all these bikes were based on the Race Inc RA7 and RA8. 

On 5/1/2020 at 10:03 PM, Twjs17 said:

I thank you again Brian Hays for telling me what bikes my 2 frames actually wer and I def appreciate the time you spent posting the info . Since last weekend I stripped the race inc decals off the gold frame . I have the correct decals coming for the blue frame . Now where can I find a set of Laguna GT decals for the gold frame ? 

Good luck finding Laguna decals. My only suggestion is to contact member Waza. He does alot of reproduction decals. They used two different styles.

dsc05345-1024x76856711a563f_blowup.jpg

dec_8612_blowup.jpg

As far as whoever asked to see a Laguna GT expert, I had a gold ano frame with no decals but the Laguna could clearly be seen "stained" into the ano on the head tube and down tube.