Sign in to follow this  
jramirez

Sundance Cycle

I actually never made it out there, being from the south side, but my friend Tony just gave me these last summer. His old Hutch used to be non-drilled forks, that he drilled out way back then for front brakes. He's got a Sundance sticker just like it on the other side too.

DSCN5939.JPG

Pictures? (would be nice to see)

I stole this picture from Steve. I never seem to think to take pictures.

Grant at SeaTac.jpg

This was 10 days ago, not 30 years ago. Grant raced, on this bike, with the seat that high and won.

Edited by cwstnsko

Thats so awesome! I really wish i could get my hands on a set of pads. By 92 they stopped making them.

Grant's bike;

gt pro bars and seat post.

black pro neck

redline flight cranks w/hadley b/b

DX pedals

stainless phils on 7x's

mx1000's w/finned mathausers

zeronine pro xl f/f

comp 3's and a saber plate

^^^

That's way cool that Grant found his way back to the track. His family was very involved in volunteering at all the local tracks, and I am pretty sure his dad, Jerry, ran the Elk Grove track.

It's funny, because that Elk Grove track was always kind of a "B" track -- Not as cool as Itasca, nor did it have the rider count -- BUT, looking at the tracks today, we need a track like Elk Grove for the beginners and dads our age who want to get back into it, but still have to work on Monday.

Got a chuckle out of abozny's reference to Westchester Wheels. I am pretty sure Bill Bimmerle hated BMX, and everything it stood for. He would kick us out out the CABDA (Chicago Area Bicycle Dealers Association) trade show every year (he was their President). We'd get in, through some kind of crack in the system, and he would put his security team on a mission to run us off the property.

Years later, maybe 1986, I was at the CABDA show as Associate Editor of BMX Plus!, and a bunch of us were standing around talking BMX, and here comes Bill. We each looked at each other, and I extended my hand and said "Bill, I don't know if you remember me, I'm..." He cut me off like a guillotine , and said "Yeah, I remember you. I don't need to shake your hand." Wow. That dude was one cold slice.

Back to Sundance, Jim McMahon is a Facebook friend of mine, and Dylan married Sundance Team rider and ace mechanic, Ed Schulz. They live out in Murrieta, CA, very close to Mike Redman, Maris Strombergs and Marc Willers. Ed is still Mountain Biking, and lookin legit doing it.

I would love to do an Itasca/Sundance/Chicago Area BMX Reunion, where we really root out some of the old schoolers. Maybe as part of Ed Nowdomski's winter event next year. Ed, if you got your ears on, Jim McMahon would be an awesome guest speaker for 2013.

Chicago BMX had some of the best times. I'm sure all of you, from whatever part of the country, can also say that of your local scene...but it just seemed a little more special in the 312 (when it was ALL the 312).

Best,

M

Edited by MikeCarruth

Wow Mike, you remember Bill Bimmerle my old boss. You got him pinned. How many stories I have about that guy. I used to have to work at that show, we weren't allowed to go, just set up and stuff.

My Bimmerle stories. I was a mechanic that worked there and it was getting late in the summer. We used to work our asses off making 2.25 an hour. My family was going on vacation to Michigan, but at the same time, the head mechanic, my best friend, was going on vacation too. I volunteered not to go on vacation because I was such a great guy. When the head mechanic and my family got back from vacation, Bill layed me off. So I was out of the job and the family vacation!

Another one.... At the CABDA show, we, that is me, the head mechanic, Bob Revolt and Bill Bimmerle and prob my other friends who were only part time mechanics, ran into Jim McMahon at the show. So of course we knew him and were like, HEY BRO, WHAT'S UP!!!! And Bill was all confused and said, "You know my mechanics???" Jim's response : "Of course, they come to my shop every week and blow their paychecks!!!" We just laughed... And Bill wasn't too happy.

Bill hated BMX and we could never get him to stock any parts. The shop sucked, but had a good location, right on the Bemis bike trails. Tons of repairs. We were ace mechanics. Bill made all his money off of us.

I always hated that guy too. How the hell he ever got elected to be president of anything, I will never know. But as I recall, the bike shop owners in the Chicago area were a bit difficult/shady all over.

ELK GROVE TRACK:

That was my favourite track. It was not as nice as Itasca, but the atmosphere was really mellow and we had some great times there. It was great chillin on the infield of the track and jumping the creek after the races.

I wish I knew more of the Chicago scene. The only other guy I knew (outside of our group of four-five riders) from Chicago was a guy named Lance who everyone knew because he had the Raliegh outfit like Henderson and Bottema. So did my friend Bob. Those guys would race against each other, no one could miss it. They looked like factory riders with their kit. This was 81-82. Lance was from some far away suburb and he had cash and was really nice. He used to sell us his old high end parts after he went through them. I got his non-pinch flights which were stolen along with my Redline, Bob got his Campy Graphites that he still has to this day and are on his Raliegh. Anyone know that guy?

If you look at the pics in my profile, I have some Itasca pics posted. I have some more, I should post them too. Also, my pic in this thread is me jumping my redline at Itasca. I had just started BMX, was like 14 or 15 - no air :-( - that came later.

this was a double post, please delet. sorry don't know what happened...

Amateurs :P

My buddy Brian Price that sold Donny his PK recently rode for Sundance for quite awhile. He still has a bunch of Sundance pads and plates.

I love hearing all the old stories. I wish I was old enough to see and ride the itasca track.

Here is a pic from Itasca, this is the first berm. I think the rider in the lead has the first gen Advanced Trickery jersey. Correct me please if I am wrong.

I am surprised that there are not more pics on the net from the old days. I wish I took more pictures and had them. I guess it is amazing what has survived all these years because I have been dragging my photos with me everywhere I go for the past almost thirty years, and I have been all over the place.

My friends have more pics I took of them, but they won't send them to me to scan in.

itasca-3.jpg

I wish I knew more of the Chicago scene. The only other guy I knew (outside of our group of four-five riders) from Chicago was a guy named Lance who everyone knew because he had the Raliegh outfit like Henderson and Bottema. So did my friend Bob. Those guys would race against each other, no one could miss it. They looked like factory riders with their kit. This was 81-82. Lance was from some far away suburb and he had cash and was really nice. He used to sell us his old high end parts after he went through them. I got his non-pinch flights which were stolen along with my Redline, Bob got his Campy Graphites that he still has to this day and are on his Raliegh. Anyone know that guy?

Those Bimmerle stories are classic. I could totally see him doing all that, especially laying you off after sacrificing the family vacation. He always struck me as the guy who would put a tack in an old lady's tire, outside the market, then offer to fix it, for a price.

Anyway, enough about that sour puss. I definitely remember Lance--he rode for The Bike Rack in St. Charles--the absolute headquarters for Campy hubs back in those days. And you are absolutely right, Lance had his whole situation fully-dialed. He was more "Toby" and Toby, sometimes.

Here are a few random Chicago BMX Photos

bmxa_sundance_rl.jpg

RL gettin "big air" at the Sundance BMXA Trick Team Show

elk_grove_first_turn.jpg

Me getting put over turn one at Elk Grove. I think it is Todd Novak doing the honors :D

donny_and_mom.jpg

Donny Atherton poses with my moms at Schaumburg Schwinn the day after the Itasca WOS

denny_owens.jpg

Denny Owens (RIP) at the 1981 ABA Land O Lincoln Nationals in Springfield

(the day after I quit High School in order to go to this race)

I have a few more, but don't want to gum up the works here (it's a Sundance thread, so apologies for the mini-hijack)

Hope y'all enjoy them.

Best,

M

Here is a pic from Itasca, this is the first berm. I think the rider in the lead has the first gen Advanced Trickery jersey. Correct me please if I am wrong.

itasca-3.jpg

Definitely Advanced Trickery. I think that is either Roman Soprych or Billy Champman

*Mods: if you'd rather have this non-Sundance stuff in a "Chicago BMX" thread, feel free.

Edited by MikeCarruth

Anyway, enough about that sour puss. I definitely remember Lance--he rode for The Bike Rack in St. Charles--the absolute headquarters for Campy hubs back in those days. And you are absolutely right, Lance had his whole situation fully-dialed. He was more "Toby" and Toby, sometimes.

Best,

M

Yes that is right, St. Charles. I remember when I got the flight cranks from him. We made the deal at a race. He said, just come by my house some night this week. I won't be home so they'll be laying on the front porch. Just put the cash in my mailbox. I remember taking the cruise out their in Bob's pick-up. It was an hour's drive. When we pulled up to Lance's house, then I knew why he had all the hot parts. There they were, my flight cranks with BB sitting on the front porch. That is how we did things back then. He was a good guy for sure.

Do you remember the two Raleigh racers duking it out in the 16+ class? The other guy was my best friend Bob who was the head mechanic at Wheels. I remember one race at Elk Grove they got 1-2. Bob was second. Here is a link to his bike over at the museum. The mags are from Lance.

Bob's Team Raleigh

I will dig out the scan of Jim McMahon racing in the 26" class and post it to the thread to keep things all SUNDANCE.

Scan2-2.jpgWhen I was still in it, the uniforms were white, not black. Plus the pants were white and orange I think.

edit: found a link to a pic

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww17/EricEngle67/Scan2-2.jpg

The 1st time Grant DuBois came out to the local track, he was wearing his black uniform, and his son was wearing the white and orange uniform that was one of Grant's from BITD. I'm guessing Grant raced for Sundance for several years since the white uniform was much smaller than the black one he still fits in :-)

Edited by cwstnsko

OK, I dug it out this morning and scanned it in.

This is Jim racing in the 26" Cruiser class in either 1981 or 82. If I had to place a bet, I would say 1981.

Don't know what kind of cruiser that is.

Since Jim was born in Dec. 1944 according to his facebook page, that would make him about 36 or 37 in this pic.

When we raced as kids and saw Mr. McMahon (as we called him back then) out there on the Cruiser, doing his stuff - riding and racing, well we had a lot of respect for him. We thought it was totally cool. That is not something our dads would have ever done! So to us he was much more than a bike shop owner. He was like one of us. Made us want to blow even more of our paychecks at his shop :-)

jim-mcmahon-itasca.jpg

Thats a great pic. Thanks for sharing. If you have facebook you should post it on his page.

I'm looking forward to a Sundance and/or Chicago BMXers reunion!

I raced for them around '90. I was never super-fast, but I guess I earned my jersey by helping them build The Hill. By the way, I was at The Hill a few weeks ago & the place looks great! My video of the first race there showed no roof on the announcer tower yet. It shocked me how well BMX has survived!

Looking to pick up a cruiser & get back at it!

SundanceStChamps83.jpg

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

This thread is rad.

:cheers:

SundanceStChamps83.jpg

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

OMG thats s

o awesome!

Haven't visited for a long time but this thread was great to come back to!! Sundance was definately the s#%^ and have many fond memories from BITD. I moved back to Chicagoland a few years ago and actually drove by a few months back & the mall was there so will have to check it out. My survivor Trick Star was built mostly with parts purchased at Sundance & I only recently was able to pull it out of storage, look for it in next years BOTY survivor class :) When I can find them, I've also got some great old pics of one of the Haro shows there, those were great. At the last one I saw, Dave Nouri was having a contest w/ a rider from another team to see who could collect the most Swatches on tour. I happened to have been wearing about 6 of them & asked he asked me if id trade for one. He gave me his team jersey for it, blood & all after he took a pretty good spill. Still have it, DNA intact! I'll scan some pics in whenever I come across them.