Sign in to follow this  
dkpdgs

what is the best gearing for a cruiser

I hear so many riders say that 41/18 is the best for cruiser I would like to hear from other riders that race.I'M NEW TO THIS SITE . I REALY DIG ALL OF THE STUFF ON HERE THANKS. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Edited by dkpdgs

I run 43/16 on mine but it's just a rider. I think it all comes down to personal preference. Welcome to the site bro!

I'd say anything from a 3.21 to a 3.70 would be good gearing for cruisin'.

Oh, wait a minute... wrong board / wrong gearing!!!

Seriously though; I use a 41/18 on my Redline Cruiser. It seems really easy to ride with that ratio.

Also, welcome to the maddness!!! LMK if you need anything around here!

Sean

it depends on the type of tracks your on (for some riders) i use a 42/18 on my Floval at all the tracks i race. the 18 is supposed to give you quicker starts and quicker jumps out of the corners. good luck and welcome to the site!

Welcome ..... and yes madness it is

I'm Running 41/17. But may go to a 18t rear, but likin' it for now.

So all of these ratios that you guys are suggesting... one could use a different gear combination but as long as the ratios end up being the same it's basically the same thing? or is there a genuine advantage to running an 18t rear over a 16t?

Edited by midijunky

yeah the gear ratios match up, but from what i understand the larger in the rear is an advantage with starts for some reason. could just be a myth but i race by it.

Yeah, lower gearing seems to be the key, spinning like crazy...at Nationals anyway as I found out the hard way. I raced the Blackjack nationals this year. I usually run 43/18, sometimes 41/17, at my local track and usually do well with it. This gearing did NOT hold up at Reno. I got beat so bad I was almost ashamed to be there. I later asked one the other guys in my class what gearing he was using. He said that most use a 40/18 or go up to a 41/18 and it's typical to be spun out by the second jumps going into the first turn. I'm thinking..."Move up to a 41/18?....You spinning fools, HA HA..Well, he did make the mains and did well. This was the 36-40 cruiser class, a lot of you in that class know it has one of the larger turnouts at any given national.

So, my goal...or hey a New Years resolution....yeah that's it.....is going to be to drop down to a 40/18, get my spin down, work on my cadence. I'm not expecting to win any nationals, but making it to a semi or even the main would be satisfaction enough. :32:

...and Thank You Bob Coover for the insight.

Wow, I know I've heard the "spin to win" mantra quite a bit, but for me it's more like "spin until I can't feel my legs anymore, and it's only the second straight." But that may be my lack of conditioning more than anything, but I've raced on 44/18 gearing for the past 3 years. My local track is pretty long, so the snap I lose out of the gate, I make up for in the second straight. I tend to catch people there.

That being said, I have an '07 Floval on order for my race machine next year, and I believe the gearing will be somewhere in the 41/17 range, so I will see how that works out. Besides , I'll be racing on a shorter track next year.

I hope I've helped, but then probably, not too much.

I just checked the SE website, and the new Floval has 39/17 gearing. I'm curious to feel the difference at the track!

I'm running 39-17 on my cruiser at the moment but I'm thinking about trying a few other combinations like 41-16 or even a 36-14.

I'm running 39-17 on my cruiser at the moment but I'm thinking about trying a few other combinations like 41-16 or even a 42-16.

I'm running 39-17 on my cruiser at the moment but I'm thinking about trying a few other combinations like 41-16 or even a 42-16.

I seem to spin too much with a 41-17 so I go with a 41-16 and seems to work real nice for me. I think mainly because the second and third straits at my local track are downhill.

Would a 42-18 spin easier than a 41-17?

DSC086921.JPG(me and my son ridin)

I am ridin 39-17 as well right now

Some things no one really touched on was indoors or out? Angle and length of starting hill, length of track. Clipped in you want to spin there is no doubt about it! For the normal sized guy 41/42 x 18 works really really well clipped in. The larger rear does help with acceleration as it works in conjunction with the roll out.

For those not clipped in and riding outdoors 41x17 is a good starting point. Then alter the ratio to your ability and track. You might find yourself stuck between a good start or trying to close at the finish.

I assume that NEARLY all-if not ALL of you guys are racing 24" bikes? I've always raced 26" bikes-well,when I DID race-and always used either a 17T or an 18T SunTour freewheel! I preferred the 3/32"

chainwheels & freewheels,and always ran either a 39,40 or 41T with the 17T freewheel and either a

41,42 or 43T with the 18T freewheel! The Gear Inch figures for these combos are "pretty close"...so it boils down-again-to running what works best for you! I had a friend that won a Nationals Race one year held indoors at the Cow Palace in Daly City,CA. and he ran a 39x20 gear in that race-also on a 26" bike!

BITD...when Wade Nomura was still riding,he used only 2 gear combinations! As an Amateur-on a 26" bike,in the 27 & Over class-he always ran a 34x20 gear! As a PRO-on his 24" racer-he ran 34x17...talk about spinning!? His bikes all used a front brake as well...I never liked a front brake setup myself...too much to "think about!" "When to use the front..when not to use the front?"...I just preferred to "always use the rear"-or "not brake at all"-my Littlejohn Lowboy 26" racer always seemed to "shed speed pretty well" even without braking at all!

All the guys I raced with were "real amateurs"-just BMX Dads looking to have a "good time and get some exercise"... ALL you guys are "way better" than any of us were...most of you "grew up on BMX bikes-and gravitated to the bigger bikes" as you got older! You all "knew how to ride" when you "got to the Cruisers"...we had to "start from scratch"-and LEARN how to race the big bikes! Most of us "were too old" when we started racing to "actually ever get REALLY good"...sounds like "most of you" are NOW where I was when I started racing!...AND you've actually got REAL classes to ride in! We had only an Adult Cruiser class originally-which was more or less an "unofficial class" to begin with! We did it for fun...YOU guys sound SERIOUS! Wish I was "your age again"...we'd have us some fun! Enjoy your youth...and your bikes!

The average gear ratio is 44/16 on a 20" or 14.39' traveled per crank

If you add a tooth in the front it will feel a tad harder but you travel a tad more also.

If you drop down it will be easier or less travel per crank.

When you go from a 18t down to a 17, then you are adding adding two teeth in the front.

41/18 is 14.30'

39/17 is 14.40'

In BMX racing it is easier to get "snap" out of the gate with a larger front sprocket, 41/18 vs. 39/17

On Freestyle bikes they ride a 28/10 or 14.65' They don't need snap but to flow around the park a 44/16 works for them.

Crank size also matters here too!

185's are going to snap you more than 180 or 175's

Usually the big guys would ride 185's with a 43/18

If you have 175 or 180 cranks I would recommend 41/18 for snap on an average track.

Have a 42 for a longer faster track

Have a 40 for a shorter/twisty track.

Have these gears and experiment.

As for Normura's gearing 34/17 is 12.56' per crank or a 38/16 on a 20", that's spinning more than Greg Grubb's!!

Posted (edited)

I just got a sunday high c 29 inch cruiser.  I am just trying to use it as a fun form of exercising and to learn how to wheelie again.  I live in Kansas City wich is quite hilly.  What would be a good gear ratio to help me navigate the hills better and learn wheelies better?

I feel like my bike could use some more torque than the current stock set up has.

Edited by philyt

Posted (edited)

If we are talking about 24” wheels I run 40-18 everywhere and I love it. That is with a 24 X 1.50 rear tire. But I must admit I’m a spinner and for me it’s all about the start, HOLESHOT!                 If you want to build leg speed get a nice set of rollers and spend a lot of time on them. Rollers not a free standing trainer.

Edited by Papa Wheelie 03x

On 2/24/2007 at 2:50 PM, BOMAT_1 said:

All the guys I raced with were "real amateurs"-just BMX Dads looking to have a "good time and get some exercise"... ALL you guys are "way better" than any of us were...most of you "grew up on BMX bikes-and gravitated to the bigger bikes" as you got older! You all "knew how to ride" when you "got to the Cruisers"...we had to "start from scratch"-and LEARN how to race the big bikes! Most of us "were too old" when we started racing to "actually ever get REALLY good"...sounds like "most of you" are NOW where I was when I started racing!...AND you've actually got REAL classes to ride in! We had only an Adult Cruiser class originally-which was more or less an "unofficial class" to begin with! We did it for fun...YOU guys sound SERIOUS! Wish I was "your age again"...we'd have us some fun! Enjoy your youth...and your bikes!

I quit racing at around 24 and I was racing pro. I came back about 4 years later and got re-classified to amateur so I could race cruiser. The class was 26-30 and I soon found out that all the guys I raced against in the pro class did the same thing. The class was super fast. The next class up was 31-35 and more age groups The 31 and over classes were just like you, dads who were already at the track so why not race. The difference in speed was huge but it should be. Then the riders got older and the 31-35 class was fast and so on. Now you go to a national and guys like Billy Griggs are racing 46-50 and Harry Leary and Turnell Henry are racing 61 and over. The days of an ez, slow, old guy cruiser class are gone. Just think about it. When you were a kid at the track would you have ever thought there would be a 61 and over class. I remember a full page picture in I think it was BMXA with the caption “cardiac cruiser“ and the riders were all around 26 year old.

I could not imagine getting into a cruiser race at 50+ and the guys I’d have to race against are Billy Griggs and Harry Leary.  That would suck! Lol

Ya, I saw last week in AZ at the National that Eric Rupe and Harry Leary were racing 50 and over cruiser. Those guys were flying!!