Sign in to follow this  
AndyDiamond

Looptail Quad

OK, here's the skinny.

I picked up a looptail Quadangle with the rare no-holes-in-the-dropouts forks.

I got this locally.

It looks to be an 82 cro-mo.
Serial number is 3294.

The story behind it is this. A guy I know via collecting, down the line, picked it up at a yard sale. Price is irrelevant as we all know what prices things go for at yard sales... :whistle:

The bike was owned by a 10 year old in the 80s and has sat in his grandma's shed since.
There were no rust spots on the frame and forks, just a couple of pin-hole dings near the brake bridge and downtube.

Here are some pics of how the guy got it (he changed the sprocket...).

LoopQuadOriginal.jpg
LoopQuadOriginal2.jpg

Aside from the fact this is a cool-a$$ looptail quad with LG check out the fact it's CHROME.
I doubt very much it had it's original paint job chromed-over as chroming down here BITD would have been expensive to say the least. Plus (from what I could see in the photos) the chrome job looks pretty original.

According to STR-1 Quads were never available in chrome:

Everything that I have ever read says that SE did not factory chrome any Quadangle. Supposedly some factory rides were chrome but from all that I have read from Scot and Mike D they never chromed one at SE. Mike D said that he never liked the chrome on the Quadangles he said that it was too busy. What is the SN on yours? Where did it come from? That fork looks like it is some variation on Landing Gear. There are many odd things that have come out of SE over the years. Pretty much nothing would surprise me.

So what's this all about then?

Now, when the guy got the Quad he decided to powder it white (he always wanted a white Quad).
I was gutted to find out, especially if the chrome was OG.
However, he sent me an email the other day asking if I was interested in buying it as he needed some cash.
Of course I said yes!

So, this is what it looks like now.
Sorry about the pic quality but I don't have the frame set yet, it should arrive today.

Let's discuss!

LoopQuad.jpg

#SEracingQuadangle  Chrome Quadangle

Wow Andy! Great story and even better score! I love those things! So did you ever really find out about the chrome? I must say it does look a bit weird in chrome. But cool nonetheless!!

I haven't found anything out about the chrome and doubt I ever will.

Was white ever a factory colour on the early Quads?

I only recall blue(s), red, black and tan.

Thing is there were actually a BUNCH of looptail Quads raced down here BITD.

I have video footage from 83 showing guys racing them - rad stuff like baby blue looptail Quads running graphite Tuffs with campy hubs etc.

Still gotta be outthere somewhere!

Also flocks of loop Flovals and dime-a-dozen PKs.

With all that stuff potentially down there, you might want to start kicking in shed doors! I can't answer the white quad color question, but may i suggest doing it up in baby blue? That has to be the sickest looking color for them!

Or maybe let me tempt you with a ton of great stuff to trade you for it!! :)

Baby blue is my favourite SE colour.

I don't own any other SE stuff - I sold my broke loop Floval to SE Mark.

I have been working on finding this stuff.

I do know where the is a broke Hutch Al mini etc etc.

You'd need to be trading the family jewels for this matey - lol

Oh well, worth a try! I'll just have to keep this NOS JMC AP F/F and bars for another trade to someone else. :lol: Yea right! You would oweing me then!!!

I have one family jewel to spare!!! Now let me get that quad, u can keep the LG's!!!..... Andy nice Quad and little story behind it on how u got it!!! I have a 1982 chromo Quad...but its not a looptail...its sloooooowly getting finished original paint and stickers (like my Loop PK) We need Pat in on this one!!! maybe set us straight a little more.

Nice Grab Andy!!!

cannot wait to see it done...in whatever color ur going to do it in, ITS GONNA BE SICK!!!!!

Jon

mild steel if anything...i don't think quads were ever made chromo in looptail...correct me if i'm wrong.

Oh well, worth a try! I'll just have to keep this NOS JMC AP F/F and bars for another trade to someone else. :lol: Yea right! You would oweing me then!!!

lol

Yeah mate - and then I'd have to build it!!!

:CashMoney: :CashMoney:

Great find Andy.

speakin' of great finds, we got a thing here in Australia called kerbside pick-up. You put all your unwanted junk out on the footpath and the City Council collects it for the scrap pile. Anyway get a phone call last night from a friend, driving past a pile of junk and sees a Frame sticking out of some heap, pulls up gets out to have a look and it turns out to be a ........ wait for it ........................... Nickel Plated Jag.

Nice find buddy ..............

Just to set the record straight, the guy who got it first time had the 'score'.

I paid him some serious money for the set - his gain.

(I usually term 'score' as in 'having to fork out as little cash as possible' - lol).

That's really sweet. :)

There's at least one person to ask,you may have to wait awhile to get an answer though. :whistle:

If it turns out that there were some done in chrome,I'd get that powder removed asap. :lol:

That's really sweet. :)

There's at least one person to ask,you may have to wait awhile to get an answer though. :whistle:

If it turns out that there were some done in chrome,I'd get that powder removed asap. :lol:

I hear ya on both accounts there!

I read that on Vintage. I am pretty sure. Nothing with SE ever surprises me though. Here is what I have learned to be as true. When there was a change in a frame SE/Scot (?) would start SN's back at one. The first run of looptails were SN's that started with a zero. Then SE went to the chromoly tubing and the SN's started with a one. Yours starts with a three. That could be an odd frame. Back in the early SE-Race Inc-Etc days whoever was available to weld was who welded. Maybe a little tighter on the aluminum but there were a few people that welded those early Quads. Too bad Rob got burned out on the scene. He is way knowledgeable. I think that there used to be an interview with either with Scot or Mike D or both. Been a long time. They said something to the effect of not liking the chrome on the frames at all. They said that they didn't remember any factory chrome frames. What the riders did with their frames after that was their deal.

I do know that my frame was originally blue because it was bought at the same shop as the one that I bought. The rider's name was Orlando something. It was built huge. He was really tall. It had 185 Profiles. He notched the frame for the bolt. Anyway when I got mine off of layaway finally this spoiled abused (funny combo huh) kid in the neighborhood told his Dad about my new ride and he went down to get him a bike and Orlando had just upgraded and his ride was on the floor complete. His Dad bought that and had it chromed out here in Denver in about '81 or so. It road sick smooth. Bolt through Phils on polished 7b's. Had Agressors on it. Man it was sick. Dark blue. Chrome Cycle Pro fork. I can remember damn near everything that bike but what bars and stem were on it. I owned the bike in '83-'84. I had it for one month to the day when I got set up at a job I had so this rock chaser could get his hit. Bike was gone. Forward 20 or so years later. I get on these sites and hook up with this local guy named Scott Raines. Scott was into Old School BMX when it was a side bar to the Stingray's. We got to chatting one day and he told me how he came upon the frame. It was traded for a Torker at a known place for shady crap. I am really feeling this frame. I check my SN. Guess what? Same frame. Scott feels weird about it and I tell him no sweat it is in good hands. Forward a few later. Scott calls me on the phone and tells me to come get it. I shoot up there and feel rushes getting it back. It will only be built right and exactly as it was period. If I ever figure out who Orlando was maybe he can tell me the bar stem combo.

Sorry for the long winded story but not really.

Too late to post my only pic of mine??? Tired of seeing it? TOO BAD !!! Gotta love an instant camera picture from 1980 don't ya?

Cool story!

NB: The chrome built bike in the pic above I would assume would be an earlier one.

Brian Hayes mentioned the cross braces in the downtubes near the BB were removed on later models so that chrome one may be a mild steel loop?

that makes since str...as my # starts out XX-T...thats it-2 numbers and a T...cool story!

Couple PS's. Here is a scan of an early Quad test. It shows the Colors as Gloss ?? Black, Brown? Brown, Blazin Blue and Rippin' red. Sorry the scan sucxx.

I have seen that fork in early SE pics. I say yeah it fits the frame.

TIM is really hip to SE stuff and colors etc. Maybe he has an opinion.

the scan with the stats on it...that would look good on a red t-shirt...and in black-on my back. :thanks: