Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Johnson

Dirt Slinger Factory and Factory Team

I've had quite a few people ask me what Dirt Slinger is or was.

Dirt Slinger was a company that was originally a brand out of San Diego that made a frame, fork, stem, and I believe grips as well.
The company started back in the mid 70's. By 1978, it had faded away into obscurity.

In late 1983, a San Diego distributor, Bicycle Parts Pacific (a.k.a. BPP) bought the name and had a company in Taiwan build a complete Dirt Slinger bicycle.
They were shooting after the market that Diamond Back had done so well with the Silver Streak.  Bicycle Parts Pacific also was a distributor for OMAS road, track, and BMX products (hubs, headsets, and bottom brackets).  BPP built a team of San Diego riders to help promote Dirt Slinger.

The 1983 Dirt Slinger/ OMAS Factory Team (with a co-sponsor from Zumwalt's Bike Shop) was Bill Parisen (17x), Jimmy Taylor (16x and cruiser), Johnny Johnson (15x), and Mikey King (14x) and Jeff Little (14x).  Jeff Little was the youngest and biggest guy on the team 6 feet tall and 210 lbs. He quit BMX a month later to pursue Varsity football football as a freshman.

The first team appearance was King, Parisen, and Taylor at the ESPN Pro Spectacular in the Burbank Esquestrian Center Nov. 28, 1983.  The second team appearance was myself, Taylor, and King at the 1983 Jag World Championships in Burbank Ca. Mike King got a third in 14x.

We got hooked up with DT spokes (t-shirts and decals too). They had a distribution deal with BPP.

DID I RUN THE FRAME?-- I ran the Dirt Slinger frame for a few weeks. It was too short for me.  I raced a Pro sized Hutch frame, forks, and bars with D.S. decals on the head tube, down tube, seat tube, and seat stays, bars, ect.   Everyone else on the team ran the Dirt Slinger frame.

MIKE KING--

Mike King was on Dirt Slinger from November 1983 till Mid March 1984.

Huffy team manager Bob Hadley, approached Mike at the CW Racing sponsored NBL War Of The Stars race at Devonshire Downs (North Ridge, California).

He offered King a full sponsorship with Huffy. Eight months later, Mike became the ABA national number one amateur.

1984 BMXA/ NBL Del Mar Nationals

Pat Lierly (Inky's), Johnny Johnson (Dirt Slinger/ OMAS), Dex Arcibald (starter)

dirtslinger22uvly1.jpg

Johnny Johnson (Dirt Slinger / OMAS), Dex Arcibald (starter), Timmy Taylor

dirtslinger16msno4.jpg

Mike King (Dirt Slinger), Tracey Tsuda, and Scott Mitchell (SE) at Kearny Moto Park.

Early 1984. Newspaper article.

kingdssouthbaytodaynewsvo3.jpg

Mike King (Dirt Slinger) running over Doug Davis (Diamond Back) and Carl Butler (JMC).

Also in the photo Peter Casano (Tioga), Darwin Griffin's foot (Mongoose), Robby Taft #4 (GHP)

and Tosh Muriviov (hidden behind King)

1983 Jag World Championships. Burbank California. Dec. 1983

kingds83worlds4tubv5.jpg

Couple more photos

Mike King, Johnny Johnson, and Jimmy Taylor at Kearny Moto Park early 1984

diertslinger1984pic29prog2.jpg

Mike King (Dirt Slinger) and Michael Dikes at Kearny Moto Park early 1984

dirtslinger1984pic49phqa9.jpg

Mike King at Kearny Moto Park early 1984

dirtslinger1984pic53uaau5.jpg

Johnny Johnson out of the gate at Kearny Moto Park early 1984

dirtslinger1984pic88vxhu4.jpg

The 1983 Dirt Slinger advertisement

I don't know if it ever ran in any magazines.

If you saw it published, let me know.

dirtslingerpromo19832gzda1.jpg

Mike King at the Dirt Slinger photo shoot. San Diego 1983

kingdspromoshot19839lriu0.jpg

Reilley1's first generation Dirt Slinger. I believe it's 1976 or 1977.

ds1ey3.jpg

:32: Great pics and history as usual. Love learning about some of the companys I never saw around here.

I always appreciate it when knowledge is dropped on me, coolness.

I'm bumping this topic up for a friend.

Any of you collectors find a 83' Dirt Slinger frame, fork, decals, or EVEN photos

please let me know.

I don't think i ever got a chance to see one of theose f/f but sounds like they had some heavy hitters ridding for them.

I use to own a dirt slinger when I was 13-14 it was a good starter bike later got into free styling and turned it into a trick bike but the DS had too much rake, bought a Haro Master that’s DS f&f laid around my back yard for years, not sure what happened to it, wish I still had it, bought it at Finish line bike shop in El Centro Ca 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 11:28 AM, Hdawg said:

I use to own a dirt slinger when I was 13-14 it was a good starter bike later got into free styling and turned it into a trick bike but the DS had too much rake, bought a Haro Master that’s DS f&f laid around my back yard for years, not sure what happened to it, wish I still had it, bought it at Finish line bike shop in El Centro Ca 

You got the Haro or the Dirt Slinger from the Finish Line?