Sign in to follow this  
GREG_HANNA

Robinson Info.

Heres what I remember based on all the Robinson framesets I had owned. I think while collecting I had around 10 different framesets.

Chuck Robinson was involved with LRV before Robinson came to be. It is thought that in 1977 Chuck had been selling off LRV frames with Robinson decals, though I have never seen an LRV with Robinson decals.

1st design Robinson built frame: built in late 1977 until early 1978. Frames had 1 triangular shaped hole in each gusset plate and sometimes a small round hole in one of the gusset plates, flat brake bridge, Small or large BB (small seem to be more common), flat brace behind BB. Colors available were Candy Red, White, Candy Blue, and Chrome. Decals consisted of a Rub-on downtube and seat tube decals, and prismatic headtube decal with Van Nuys Ca. on the bottom. Forks were typical Robinson with the round bend at the tops of the fork legs and rub-on decals, have seen both with or without brake hole. I owned serial #1, which is NOS and blue in color, found in Ca. owned by a former shop owner that had no idea it was frame #1. The shops decal was still on the seat tube and allegedly that is the shop that Chuck once owned.

Frame_Robinson__1.jpg

2nd design: built in early 1978 to late 1978. Frames had 1 round hole in each gusset plate and sometimes a small round hole in one of the gusset plates, flat brake bridge, small or large BB, flat brace behind BB. Colors were Candy Red, White, Candy Blue, and Chrome. Decals consisted of a rub-on downtube and seat tube decal, prismatic headtube decal with no city/state desigantion. Forks were typical Robinson with the round bend at the tops of the fork legs and rub-on decals, have seen both with or without brake hole.

3rd design: built in late 1978 to early 1979. Frames had 1 round hole in each gusset plate and sometimes a small round hole in 1 gusset plate, flat brake bridge, 1 round hole in each dropout, small or large BB, flat brace behind BB. Colors were Candy Red, White, Candy Blue, and Chrome. Decals consisted of a rub-on downtube and seat tube decals, prismatic headtube decal with no city/state desigantion. Forks were typical Robinson with the round bend at the tops of the fork legs and rub-on decals, have seen both with or without brake hole.

Bike_Robinson_Red.jpg

4th design: built in early 1979 to late 1980. Frames had smooth gusset plates with no holes and no "R" stamp, flat brake bridge, small or large BB, flat brace behind BB. Colors were Candy Red, White, Candy Blue, and Chrome. Decals consisted of a rub-on or red white blue downtube decal, rub-on or red white blue seat tube decal, prismatic headtube with no city/state desigantion or red white blue headtube decal, red white blue gusset plate decals. Forks were typical Robinson with the round bend at the tops of the fork legs and rub-on or red white blue decals, had Brake hole. Decals use on these framesets were transitional with all different combinations possible. Also of note, rear dropout slots may be angled downward or not angled.

Bike_Robinson_Smooth_Gusset.jpg

5th design: built from 1980-1984. Frames had gusset plates with the famous R stamp, flat or round brake bridge varied based on frame sub-contract manufacturer, small or large BB, flat, round, or no brace behind BB varied based on frame sub-contract manufacturer, Top and Downtubes tubes increased in diameter. Colors were Chrome and ???????. Traditional red white blue decal scheme on frames, on Pro sized frames sometimes a small pro decal will also appear on downtube. Forks were typical Robinson with the round bend at the tops of the fork legs and red white blue decals, had brake hole. Optional "Pro" Fork came out sometime in 1982, had typical round bend at the tops of the fork legs and larger dia tubing on fork legs, red white blue decals and sometimes a small pro decal will also appear, had brake hole but it was useless because of larger dia legs.

Bike_Robinson.jpg

Bike__Robinson_83_pro.jpg

6th design: 1985-late 1986. don't know alot, but no gusset and beefier dropouts. Forks had the straighter bends at tops of fork legs and beefier dropouts. Decals were typical Robinson Scheme.

late 1986-?????? Semi loop frame, new fork, and all new decals.

pictured: THE GRANDADDY OF ALL ROBINSONS....#1. Currently owned by Tim Cook.

More pics of different models soon.

• Like 1

Robinson Handlebars came out in early 1979 and were THE FIRST "kneesaver"!!

They were extremely narrow at the stem to provide more knee room, no kurling at stem area, 1 red white and blue decal on handle bar not crossbar, no stamping anywhere!

Around 1985 they began knurling the stem area and also around that time began stamping an R with no decal, though I have seen Knurled bars with the decal and no stamp.

Edited by GREG_HANNA

5th Design: ...Traditional red white blue decal scheme on frames, on Pro sized frames sometimes a small pro decal will also appear on downtube. Forks were typical Robinson with the round bend at the tops of the fork legs and red white blue decals. Optional "Pro" Fork came out sometime in 1982, had typical round bend at the tops of the fork legs and larger dia tubing on fork legs, red white blue decals and sometimes a small pro decal will also appear.

I recently bought a frame/fork/bars. The decals have the little "Pro" decal on them as well and the forks are the larger diameter. I'm really excited about this project.

:rawks:

:break: I love old school science class...

Thanks Greg. you filled in some gaps for me. Got anymore pics of RRP stuff you had? I can host em.

Here is a set of Robinson Bars that i aquired from the same shop i got my Loop PK from...(3rd owner of the shop now) There is more there...i just gotta get him at the right time! These are GONE now...

PICT0010-1.jpg

PICT0012-2.jpg

Jon

eightyfive

IMG_5363.JPGIMG_5359.JPG

Edited by BMXROB

Please note that I have edited more photos that Greg sent into the first post. Thanks again Greg.

:cheers:

When I think Robinson, I think chrome...but I'm tellin ya, these colors are even sweeter! DMG's late 70's white....Awesome! Red and blue are ultra-cool too.

Wow!!

Thanks for posting all that Greg. :32:

I have been trying to figure out a year on this one.

RobbieA.jpg?t=1170534402

From what you've posted it helps but it's still a guess to an exact year,that may not be possible but I'm happy with the years

guessed between. :)

Thought of as an 80/81,it looks like a Gen 5 80/84.Alan's bmx UK was a Robbie dealer,I have asked & shown him the pics & he said probably an 82.

The decals may not be original either,I just got it off ebay a week or so ago.

Here's some more pics.

Flat brake bridge & flat chainstay brace.

RobbieE.jpg?t=1170534676

Stamped R under the decal.

RobbieI.jpg?t=1170534708

Fork non-drilled.

RobbieB.jpg?t=1170534676

Serial on bottom bracket,no way to date by serial???

RobbieJ.jpg?t=1170534744

Wow - this helped out a lot Greg. Thank you for the info! I think that makes this the 21st frame they made and in original condition w/undrilled fork. I am lacking a headtube sticker. Anyone have one of the correct ones?

It there any meaning to the R L H ? I think I can figure out the "R" part. Glad to find some info!!!! Thanks again Greg for taking the time.

Rob021.jpg

Rob021a.jpg

Rob021b.jpg

Fantastic thread...

The R gusset Robo is one of my all time fave bikes... still quite rare in the UK.

One day, you will be mine....

Now that I got all this GREAT information it inspired me to build this today. Lightweight f/f and a killer blue color choice from Robinson.

Thank you again!!

CompleteRob.jpg

Good info but I think the time frame is a bit off.

Chuck did not leave LRV until early in 78. Summer of 78, the team was still using LRV with Robinson decals as the Robinson frame was still a protytpe

LRV_RRP.jpg

The bike in the pic is Ruminer's personal ride (LRV with Robinson decals) The guesset and the drop-outs give it away as an LRV.

I really enjoyed all the information I've read. Thank you. Its always great to learn about the history of bmx. I recently found a '78 Robinson at a local swap meet here in Southern California. At the time I had no idea what I purchased. The euro BB and the looptail caught my attention. By the time I left the swap meet I found out it was a 1st year Robinson and after getting it home and sanding it, I realized it was originally candy blue and Numbered 031. It made my find that much better. I'm thinking about starting over with the original blue finish.

med_gallery_11403_710_526321.jpeg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_6049.jpg

Edited by comedianmike
  • Like 1

nice one, there's a swap meet thread here if you haven't seen it.. check it out  :rockout:

• Like 1

nice one, there's a swap meet thread here if you haven't seen it.. check it out  :rockout:

Oh cool!! I’ll check it out. Thanks for the help

Don't have any Robinsons in the stable anymore, but I sure do like em. Your Number 031 is sure a nice low serial number find!!!