Sign in to follow this  
Just..Me..Chillin'

so wheres all the pioneering f/s builds/replicas

bumping as post bait to new members

I'd love to do an early Wilkerson replica (early Freestyler with RL forks). That would be cool. Well down on my to-do list however. Someone needs to do that so that I don't have to wait 2 or 3 years 'til I get to it. :lol:

I'd love to do an early Wilkerson replica (early Freestyler with RL forks). That would be cool. Well down on my to-do list however. Someone needs to do that so that I don't have to wait 2 or 3 years 'til I get to it. :lol:

This one Lee?

good choice!!!

wilkerson_pre_haro.jpg

That's the one, rat traps and all! :)

it's hilarious to see tires dry rotting even back then

Look at Ron's ST's and you'll notice the side walls are all dried out

crazy

Cool thread! Thanks. This is exactly the era of bmx I fell into. I wasn't a racer although I raced occasionally for fun. I was into hanging with friends, looking for jumps and other places to do tricks (even before we saw them in magazines) Freestyle was a natural progression of what kids were already doing. Homegrown mods were the rule, before 'ready made' bolt-ons such as platforms, pegs, etc....I enjoy seeing these bikes especially. I wouldn't think twice about seeing a bike with 1 tuff and 1 spoked rim...not everything needs to be balanced, pretty, polished, and matching to qualify for props...keep 'em coming.

I was working on a bike to enter for this year, but sadly I'm still just a couple small details/parts away from having it finished. As they say, the devil is in the details. For sure it will be ready for the OS show next June.

I liked some of the tribute bikes I saw, but shouldn't RL's bike have a coaster brake on it? I didin't think he went to FW until around the mid 80's?

one of these things is not like the others :lol:

wow.jpeg

Classic bitd shot right there, Jeff.

The OM at Saddleback

OM_1975_Saddleback_Bonzai_sm.jpg

BW-OM-DG-1.jpg

The King

00027-5Small.jpg

EK-1.jpg

EK-6-1.jpg

Bobby Encinas Redline

BOBBY1.jpg

Encinas2007.jpg

BOBBY-RL.jpg

and my favorite

pamcobel19784lqLarge.jpg

pam-1Large.jpg

when I grow up, I'm going to build a transitional era freestyle whip to put in this thread...

Well I started this thread how many yrs ago to motivate my dream and only now has it gotten to the final stages .... I was hunting parts down all this time, but this yr is the one finally hope to have it mocked up inna few weeks and ready for the show(s) this yr.

It's been arduous but I hoping it was worth the effort and my peers appreeciate it as much as I hope to.... Hard to say its been 8yrs - damn ! Funny how you rehashed this thread just now.

So again I ask - where they at ? Bring it boys !

Three years later and I'm still thinking about that Wilkerson bike... one day maybe. :lol:

You need to get on the ball, Lee.

You need to get on the ball, Lee.

You know it -- Two other projects slowly in the works though (as they have been for the past year or so...).

Hey guys,

Almost have this pioneering freestyle build complete. It's a 78 team frame with redline forks, etc. Sorry about the crappy pic. I'll take more/better once it's complete.

Cheers,

Boone

WP_20130326_001.jpg

I dig it, Boone. That looks just right.

Bump for freestyle forum.

Stoked on this era and thread! The way riders repurposed their race bike into a trick machine is creative and interesting. Let's see more...

Well here is what this thread was about (for me) all this time....

What drove me

image.jpg

Built in my style, as tribute.

As if to say, I would have been a 6th member of that team...

image.jpg

I know most can't grasp it - but that was the challenge - personally I felt saddened no one had touched on the fact prior whic made me wanna address that fact all the more

Hope you can jive with it :wink: