Sign in to follow this  
biggiefl

Blast from the past...Rampar R9

I remember as a kid with my R10 going to Conti's bike shop in Trenton, NJ & droooooling over a light blue Rampar R9 with a titanium colored alloys components and back in 1980 it was $400. Anyone have a pic or know of these? Truly a rare and custom bike being all parts were made or custom made in house in a dull gold color. Again I remember drooling over this as a kid and have NEVER seen one outside the Raleigh bike shop.

Guest BridgeCityBikes

there was a MINT R9 on ebay early this year. Not sure if it is still available in a search of completed items.

I didn't see it until AFTER it was sold. :(

Those bikes were so cool in a time when us average kids were riding heavy mild steel R10s.

this is from the '78 Raleigh's catalog (some drool over eye candy) and i believe the '79 version was similar with some small parts changes ---- by 80 the catalog shows the R-10 series as the only models offered that year along with the intro of the one R-11xl version (reynolds tubing) they're newest top shelf offering (the R-9 is no longer in the line up)

RamparR9.jpg

This was my first bmx bike and i've taken a look at the e-bay aution.

I broke this frame jumping it but i stil get g bumbs looking at it just like you said biggie : looking at it at the bike shop and drool al over it :30:

YEAH....... :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

maybe it was the 79 version Greg, would be my guess -- i have both the 78 and 80 catalogs --- thats the 78 ^ and the 80 only offers the different versions of the R-10 (different colors offered with different equipment breakdowns ie. tuffs or spokes, is basically it)

the R-11xl (w/the reynolds tubing) only sports medicore equipment considering it was a flagship model of that season --- 1 pc cranks (chainguards) ---- unfortunatly its a smaller pic and there is no list of compenents for the model

its the catalog with (i wanna say) Byron blastin' a pretty fearsome powerslide across a 2 page spread

I remember as a kid with my R10 going to Conti's bike shop in Trenton, NJ & droooooling over a light blue Rampar R9 with a titanium colored alloys components and back in 1980 it was $400. Anyone have a pic or know of these? Truly a rare and custom bike being all parts were made or custom made in house in a dull gold color. Again I remember drooling over this as a kid and have NEVER seen one outside the Raleigh bike shop.

There are 3 different models on Ebay right now.

Rampars

Like the one in the ad but more titanium/gold bling. Better plastic seat, twin brakes, quality alloy bars/stem, etc. I mean this thing had it all. The one above is stripped down comparingly. I think all R9's were ice blue in color.

Like the one in the ad but more titanium/gold bling. Better plastic seat, twin brakes, quality alloy bars/stem, etc. I mean this thing had it all. The one above is stripped down comparingly. I think all R9's were ice blue in color.

Been a few years...anyone have some pics, etc? What would this bike be worth today in a 8+ condition?

Been a few years...anyone have some pics, etc? What would this bike be worth today in a 8+ condition?

I found this pic:

rampar.jpg

Posted (edited)

I have a 1978 tR9 Rampar original condition all blue ,cleaned with only water and soft cloth. Only things replaced are the seat and hand grips . Even the tires are original. Needs new tires and hand grips bike in great condition belongs to my son. I bought it for him he kept it in his bedroom growing up. He was about 13 then. He built his own bike for racing and jumping from an old  schwin frame he had cut down and welded and added parts. He kept this one for show. If you are interested send email address for pictures and make “reasonable “ offer. Only 1 of 4 of a kind that I know of still around.

Edited by Bill Thompson
How can I add pictures

IM from Trenton area and the Contis name sounds familiar but can not place the shop. Before I found out about Lawrenceville I tried to get a track open. I went to a few shops with Flyers and had a meeting complete with a film on BMX and no one showed. I have no idea if the shops cared or even left the flyers out or passed them out. I know I did the shop on Olden ave extension? Near Princeton or Pennington rd. I did the shop in Hamilton Square, Bernies Schwinn? but cant picture Contis.

You may be correct about all the R9s being light blue that is how I usually see them pop up. I have a R11XL in my collection. Those Rampar uniforms and team were so great.

This one was mine about 7 years ago

5349D093-2E93-47DB-A7AA-7A777E3E7DD8.jpeg

E51BED61-AF42-487F-AFFC-DA073A97426A.jpeg

• Like 1