Sign in to follow this  
MotoBMX

Webco BMX History

Great to see this thread bumped up! I don't know why I haven't added these to this yet. So now is a good time. :rockout:

1979 Replica model. Survivor.

webco2.jpg

1979 Replica model. All parts original finish.

webco1.jpg

http://www.bmxsociety.com/topic/58343-1979-webco-replica-a-love-letter-home/

• Like 1

bumping so I can revisit later

oh...and here's me on it, DFL. The pics above are when I got some "race wheels"

10010001.JPG

• Like 3

I remember Lil Rascal I think it was mid 70s about. I lived in Florida but a promo guy, I don't remember his name would send me stuff all the time. 

On 3/5/2019 at 11:31 AM, wmkent said:

10010001.JPG

so clear....the timing, the radness, etc.

This pic is amazing on so many levels.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:31 AM, wmkent said:

10010001.JPG

yep, this shot rules

On 12/9/2020 at 12:51 PM, TrulyOdd said:

so clear....the timing, the radness, etc.

This pic is amazing on so many levels.

Exactly, we’ll said.

Whoa! This is fantastic! Haven’t been here in a while and decided to drop in tonight... I’m glad I did! This is the core stuff I love. Thank you. 

Thanks fellas. Good ol Pentax K1000 and a roll of TRI-X 400.

I was just hoping to meet Oz...or Windy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Adding a picture of my own Webco frame to this thread to keep it growing. This thread alone is a great Webco resource, which I have frequented over the years. I believe this is a 76 frame based on all the great info to be found in here. The "dot" in the serial stamping looks like it might have been done over a W? Looking inside the bottom bracket it appears it might have been that Webco brick red originally. This one does not have a drilled brake bridge and will hopefully be built in time for summer.  

Webco1.jpg

Webco2.jpg

webco3.jpg

Edited by rhino2084

Just found this thread reminiscing my childhood

I have a unique webco story.

My father met Bob Hughes shortly after leaving the military in the mid 50's, he moved to so cal and started working for Douglas aerospace. A passionate motorcyclist he started desert racing BSA's on the weekends which naturally he searched out performance parts that led him to Webco. About that time he met his first wife Chiquito who was working in the industry as marketing editor of cycle news magazine. 

Jumping forward to 1977

I'm 10 years old, dad's remarried to my mom and I caught the bmx bug. I know nothing other than my half sister's mom's boyfriend is named Bob also. I'm riding a modified huffy that I keep breaking in half and begging my parents for a new bike so I could be the next bmx superstar. My dad recommended that I sit down and write letters to different bike companies, can't remember exactly who but I do know that Webco was at the top of my list! 

Long story short, I showed up with a pocket full of my allowance money and walked out with a brand new bike and a load of swag for I think $40. I was on top of the world! Found out a few years later from my sister that my dad insisted I pay something for the bike, not sure if it was a life lesson or his deal? I wish he was still around I would ask him.

Wish I still had that bike! If anybody has one they would part with I would love to have it sitting next to my dad's old BSA 

rhino...the undrilled brake bridge make that blue frame a 1975.  :ThumbsUp:

On 7/1/2021 at 9:38 AM, rawxrider said:

Just found this thread reminiscing my childhood

I have a unique webco story.

My father met Bob Hughes shortly after leaving the military in the mid 50's, he moved to so cal and started working for Douglas aerospace. A passionate motorcyclist he started desert racing BSA's on the weekends which naturally he searched out performance parts that led him to Webco. About that time he met his first wife Chiquito who was working in the industry as marketing editor of cycle news magazine. 

Jumping forward to 1977

I'm 10 years old, dad's remarried to my mom and I caught the bmx bug. I know nothing other than my half sister's mom's boyfriend is named Bob also. I'm riding a modified huffy that I keep breaking in half and begging my parents for a new bike so I could be the next bmx superstar. My dad recommended that I sit down and write letters to different bike companies, can't remember exactly who but I do know that Webco was at the top of my list! 

Long story short, I showed up with a pocket full of my allowance money and walked out with a brand new bike and a load of swag for I think $40. I was on top of the world! Found out a few years later from my sister that my dad insisted I pay something for the bike, not sure if it was a life lesson or his deal? I wish he was still around I would ask him.

Wish I still had that bike! If anybody has one they would part with I would love to have it sitting next to my dad's old BSA 

cool story.