Sign in to follow this  
MotoBMX

Webco BMX History

Here's a Twomey designed Webco monoshock prototype still owned by Rick

RBS-MON2.jpg

RBS-MONO.jpg

Along with a production one owned by me (has been restored by now)

WEBMONO.jpg

Hm. Very interesting designs. The prototype... it seems like the shock wouldn't have any travel with the way the post is welded in there between the "non break bridge" (what would be a break bridge if they had used something besides coasters) and the lug behind the bottom bracket. I guess the rear triangle could swivel on that behing the bb hinge allowing the whole rear triangle to move up and down a bit.

sb

Does anyone know how Motobmx is doing? :flower: I will try and figure out this post a pic thing! :curses: The Godfather is now the proud owner of a WEBCO made and put together with LOVE by some good bros here on this site! Although I was'nt a part of this happening I was very happy to see the the Godfather happy! :bravo:

G-Flash... Motobmx is back

The Webco presented to Rick, was meant to be on behalf of ALL of us. So... you were in too.

Maybe Kurt V Epp is actually Kurt Van Epp. Could be a Euro as the company got big over there.

It also looks like it has more stamped on the BB maybe clean it up a bit to read it better.

The stamp could be post production. Or maybe it was a Webco/ co factory rider or finally maybe they had sponsored a Bike shop team.

My only story with Webco is around 77 a friend said he knew a kid that had a "real" bmx bike, unlike our modified Schwinn Sting Rays.

He lived in our town but a longggg bike ride from us as we all lived in the country. The kid had moved to Pennsylvania from California.

His bike when we saw it was stunning. He said he raced it in Cal. It was a white Webco frame with white Redline forks. He had Blue Vbars and rims I think. For some reason (probably cause none of us could drive and he lived so far and was my sisters age I think) we didnt become close friends.

I cant for the life of me remember his name. But that was the first real BMX bike I ever saw. Since none of knew what real BMX was or ever heard of NBA etc, I never asked him what class he raced or what his home track etc was.

Edited by Racer

I know a bit about what happened to Webco in the mid to late 80s :naughty:

Another bump for one of the most important BMX bikes ever made...

Note: Did you restore that Monoshock Reilley1? Love to see that baby!

Edited by mongoosedrummer

digin the history/info so I will play heres my webco replica model its nicle most parts are CYCLE PRO brand!

bikestuff556.jpg

bikestuff508.jpg

bikestuff528.jpg

bikestuff527.jpg

Edited by FREESTYLE FREEK

Guest BridgeCityBikes

Rick and Reilley posts are always my favorite.

Rick, your writing triggers my imagination as if I were right there in socal, even though i wasn't.

Thank you guys!

Here is my Webco story:

Early on in bmx in Oklahoma, we rode modified Stingrays like everyone else. Then came the Yamaha Bikes in 74 and the Matthews Mono shortly after that. (I am not related to that clan of Matthews!) At this point we were promoting and hosting races and sometime in 1975 Ernie Alexander from the NBA calls us and wants to promote our track and sanction our events. This of course led to numerous tours coming through Oklahoma as well as the Grands becoming firmly established in Oklahoma. During this same period, MotoMags were making headlines as were some of the new frames by Webco.

Sometime in 1975, we got a call out of the blue from Chuck Robinson (RIP) asking if we wanted to be "sponsored". I recall having to ask my parents permission and we didn't have a clue what sponsorship was. So obviously the answer was "YES" and it was game on for the Okies! I remember those very first WEBCO jerseys and have even modeled today's bmx jerseys after those originals. We were so psyched as we got tons of stuff mailed to us from Chuck. Somewhere in the background was Twomey making things happen as well as Danny Oakley. These guys were all visionairies.

November of 1975 Chuck, Ernie, Elaine Holt, and scores of other people pitch in to bring the Okies to the first ever Grands, N ovember 22, 1975 at Randall Ranch, Newhall, California. It was there my bmx career began to bloom and for that I am so thankful. I met Chuck and Skip and Birtrap and scores of other people. We got to go to the Webco factory and Chuck gave us bags and told us we could fill them up. It was a wild time. There are so many other stories about that trip that I can't share them here, but they are AWESOME! Just the flight from Oklahoma to LA was amazing for this hayseed little boy who was truly living the dream.

Webco was part of that, and never did I feel as much like a Rockstar as when I put on those colors along side with Stu, Bottema, Carey, Raymer, and the other bright lights of bmx who made those early days so awesome.

I just redid an original hard tail Webco mono. Oh man, it is nice.

Great history there Cash! :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]: Lovin' the Webco stuff...

When I built up this Squareback I wasn't quite sure what wheels to go with... I ended up going with Webco Mags because they were of the same era and they actually "lightened up" the bike quite a bit too.

I'm really digging the Webco Mags these days. I remember as a kid wanting them really bad... Now as an old geezer, I want them real bad again! They are so hard to find... :Frustration:

This pair was Powder Coated in "Flat Black":

post_3691_1229402254_thumb.jpg

post_3691_1229402167_thumb.jpg

:break:

O.K BMX'ERS ......... gather round for here is the story i'm puttin' down. it's WEBCO 101 :Liv2ride:

ALL RIGHT SETTLE DOWN. YEA you in the third row. whats your name? "ummm my name is jeff utterback" well pay attention and you will understand why you will be following yellow bikes at all the race tracks. :ROTFLMAO:

a long time ago about 1971/1972 RICK TWOMEY

(that's me) gathered up a couple of neighborhood kids and started a bicycle competition team. at one of our first races in Malibu Ca. we met three guys from DOG TOWN. THOM LUND, DOUG TAKAHASHI, AND JOHN "JP" PALFREYMAN JR.. :32: :32: :32:

WAM - BAM THANK YOU MAM ....... the all NEW and

improved RICK'S BIKE SHOP BX TEAM WAS BORN.

YES i said BX. we went from competition team to BX

(bicycle cross) team. from that time on we have been kickin' ass and takin' names.

in those early years we did not have all the bx parts we needed so i had to make them. cut down motorcycle handle bars, with motorcycle grips.

then my friend RUSS OKAWA (from canyon cycle center) and i talked about using longer cranks. i noticed with the longer cranks the guys were going faster but they were digging the pedals into the dirt, so i raised the crank hanger up for more ground clearence. well one thing lead to another and i modified the 20" frame into a total racing frame. straight top and down tubes, raised crank hanger and different head angle. all for a better handling bike. i guess you would call it a RICK'S BIKE SHOP FRAME.

now i know this thread is about webco and their frames and we"re getting there, but a little history never hurt anybody.

O.K. so you all are in a rush so i'll jump forward a little. the team rode the RICK'S frames to victory after victory, until we were the BADDEST TEAM ON THE PLANET. with help from my friend DON KEMP, i hooked up a team sponsorship with webco and was given a title of bmx advisor. naturally i advised them to build my frames. and THAT my friends is when

WEBCO got started into bicycles. they had been around for 15 - 20 years making and sellng motorcycle parts. so this was late 1973 or early 1974

when WEBCO first started the frames. they were the first co. to make production bicycle motocross frames. jere kirtpatric made the frames for WEBCO.

early 1974 i met a guy who said he had a bicycle wheel that would not break like the spoke wheels.

YES it was SKIP HESS and his MOTOMAG wheels.

just about the time of the YAMAHA GOLD CUP FINALS in L.A. THE MOTOMAGS and the WEBCO frames were

ready for their grand unveiling. we did it at that race.

they were both well accepted and even though we did not win the main that day we did set track speed record. thom lund the fastest and john palfreyman

second fastest time.

so the first series WEBCO frames were a straight tube front end frame with a looptail back half.

this frame can be reconized by the small single gusset and the two cigar size tubes between the crank hanger and the rear loop.

the second series went to a double gusset and a cigarette box rectangle box behind the crank hanger.

from there many models were made an i left WEBCO

to work with SKIP HESS at BMX PRODUCTS MOTOMAG. this was before the MONGOOSE FRAMES.

i will stop here and let you ask some questions and

i will try to answer them best i can.

REMEMBER WE HAVE SOME REAL WEBCO EXPERTS ON THIS SITE SO CHIME IN. THE WEBCO KID AND

BOTH RANDY C. AND RANDY AND ALL YOU OTHER WEBCO FREAKS.

:thanks: RICK T.

did WEBCO make stems

Yes they did. Basically it was a reinforced Ashtabula stem... Do a search here and you can read about them.

I've also seen a plain black double clamp stem being sold that was purportedly made by Webco.

I couldn't confirm if it was or not. Some others around here may know for sure.

WebcoGooseneck_MinicycleAction2_76_1web.jpg

Here is a well placed BUMP!

DSCF0667.JPG

Sweet! Are those the mild steel forks?!?

I have seen a double clamp stem in a Webco ad somewhere but I don't have a copy of the ad. I've also seen an image of a stem that was a Webco "single-clamp" stem...just like a double clamp but....well...single. Not like the "wrap-around" style of the Ashtabula stems.

moving this to trackside

Hey Thanks for asking Mr Webco79guy, I think that frame is a "77" due to the brakebridge being drilled and the original color being a metalic silver that was color that was offered in that period catalogs. I believe the actual color was Daytona silver. The frame was in very bad shape with a great deal of the OG paint flaking off and lots of rust and dried clay and dirt. This frame was buried in some scrap hole the dug up as an artifact! I got it several years back from a member here who had it on the bay and I was the lucky winner! I repowdered in yellow as a tribute the Ricks bike shop team and it looks a little different today as it sports diffrerent Redline/Tange forks.

DSCF0696.JPG