Sign in to follow this  
MotoBMX

Webco BMX History

Need help with this guy. I picked up this Webco monoshock this weekend. It has extra gussets in a few areas, most noteably the ones added to the front gusset and bottom bracket. It has the early, single gusset inside the outer plates. I have heard from two different sources that you could order extra gussets from the factory? Anybody else heard of this? The welds on the gussets match the rest of the frame. Any input from the resident experts?

Nice bike you picked up. I like it! But as far as it being a "factory modified" frame I do have some doubts. If I were you I would recheck with the two sources you cite as to the validaty of that statement. I would ask them what their source for that info is. It certainly would be pretty damn cool if it really is the case. But if it's one of those " I heard from a guy that heard from a guy who's second cousin twice removed said, yea they did." I would take it with a grain of salt. Another thing that is a bit of a red flag IMO is the nicely applied fresh paint. It can hide a mutitude of sins.

Words and phrases like "Factory one off" and "prototype" are being thrown around quite a bit in this hobby these days in the quest for "rare". Sometimes folks can get sucked in by it and spend more money then they should have for an item. I am by no means implying that is the case here I'm just saying you got to watch yourself today in this hobby.  

I would also try and get in contact with Rick Twomey as he was one of the hands on people when Webco was developing it's BMX line. Looks like you will have to dig deep to get the truth on this one. And of course please let us know what you find. :cheers:

https://www.facebook.com/RicksBMXOldSchool

• Like 1

good job professor sodbuster ! I 2nd his motion and add I have never seen one like that before....

I saw this, cringed a bit, started a response but was sidetracked and left no response. 

Glad you responded Brian. I always feel like a total dick when I try to tell someone that in my opinion, an item is not what it was bought as presented.

This one has red flags all over it including the overly overt display of the serial number.I would too talk to the original seller and get some more info.

Also, like Sod said, Rick Twomey would be a better source of info or if you could get a hold of Rick Courteau who raced for and worked at Webco around that time, would be great info too.

That's good information Brian and Rick - as always it's a case of buyer beware and doing as much research as possible yourself prior to purchase.

Here's all I can add to this thread.

My stash of NOS Webco decals.

IMGP7062.JPG

IMGP7063.JPG

IMGP7064.JPG

IMGP7065.JPG

IMGP7066.JPG

IMGP7067.JPG

PJ  :)

• Like 1

Nice collection of decals!

So, this bike was not misrepresented by the seller, he was totally up front and told me that is the way it was found years ago. He was in the process of restoring it, that's why it has semi fresh powder coating. There are no structural issues with it, no rewelds, no rust, nothing bent. The additional gussets are not hacked in, or put in to hide anything. In fact whomever did put the gussets in did a very clean job, very nice welds. As far as the overly overt display of the serial number, the previous owner had the powder coaters tape it so it didn't fill with powder and be unreadable. This bike started life as a single gusset monoshock, and still is. It actually rides exactly the same as the one I had in 75. My reason for posting this, was to gain any additional information on who might have done the additional work, since this is a research section, not to be bashed by the members.    

• Like 1

By no means are you being bashed. As for myself I think the bike is friggin' cool as hell!  If anything take it as a bit of up front honesty. And if our honesty seems to come off a little harsh I don't mind stepping up and apologizing for the group because it really is unintentional.  Our intent is to steer you in the right direction to get your answer.

Whoever did the modifications to that frame was a very talented welder and fabricator. The mods having been performed BITD make the work done even cooler to me personally.

And  like Reilley1 said Rick Courteau is a good tip. Both Ricks are members here look them up and send off some PM’s. There is another name that I am racking my brains to remember perhaps someone else can chime in with it. Rick Twomey credited him in interviews as being the actual fabricator of the early frames for Webco, so you might look into that as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment on my decal collection Chris.

Please note that no member here "bashed" you or what you have said.

They offered up some insight into why your bike has the extra gussets and gave their informed opinions (two of the best in the game).

Even going as far as directing you to people who may have even further knowledge about your bike and Webco in general.

Take it on the chin champ and take the extra steps as suggested by Brian and Rick - who knows what you might find out!

• Like 1

Bashed? Wow.

Jere Kirpatrick Brian?

Yes!! Exactly Rick. Jere Kirkpatrick. (Total brain fart.) Still around and still very active in everything metal. http://www.jerekirkpatrick.com/

Oops Typo! Kirkpatrick :)

As far as apologies go, I must add that none should be needed and definitely not one from me.

I've seen these guys 'bash and attack' and this is neither. This is information. Both Brian and Rick lived and experienced the era of this bike, as did I.

We started with no gussets and then the basic single gusset. Then they got into putting gussets on everything. My Peddlepower/Rink Raider was double gusseted over a single gusset. The newest idea over a previous idea.

DSC03020.JPG

DSC03072.JPG

I have a Webco catalog with some interesting pictures and information inside that fit perfectly here. There are actually two monoshock frame variations on one page. These gusset variations can either give credence to the possibility of yours being factory... or, like my experience with my bike, could suggest that someone did some very nice modifications after the fact.

scan0002.jpg

scan0002 - Copy.jpg

scan0002 - Copy (2).jpg

scan0010 - Copy.jpg

Either way, I believe yours was done in the era of the bike and again it doesn't matter because it is an awesome piece of BMX history. 

This is neither.

Classic.  Thanks

Heres my 75-76 Webco I restored. Mostly original, 2nd owner, undrilled brake bridge. Professionally painted and color matched from inside the bb. Citric acid bath on the chrome parts cleaned up beautifully. All ash parts were stripped and re coated with the original manganese phosphate finish.

http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/Robertlee72/media/Webco%20restore/IMAG0262.jpg.html

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

IMAG0455.jpg

IMAG0399.jpg

• Like 5

Nice Job on the restoration, robertlee - your Webco looks very cool.  That's a beautiful blue color.

This is my Ralphs Bicycles Webco.

post-1243-127334718372.jpg

post-1243-127334722978.jpg

• Like 1

First generation Webco recently sold on ebay

First generation Webco recently sold on ebayimage.jpeg

First generation Webco recently sold on ebay

First generation Webco recently sold on ebayattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I've seen this bike before. Would have loved a chance to get it. What did it end up going for? What ever it was I'm sure it was too rich for my blood. Once a bottom feeder always a bottom feeder. HA!!

Sod, actually 2 sold recently and the one above sold to a respected member here who bring it back to its former glory hopfully soon.

Just snagged this off of eBay.  Had the Mini-Replica, Moxie V and Minigoose reviews.  I have full size scans if anyone needs more detail in the images.

1977 Minicycle/BMX Action:

JU Cover:

1977 Minicycle BMX Action - Webco Mini Replica - cover.jpg

1977 Minicycle BMX Action - Webco Mini Replica - 01.jpg

1977 Minicycle BMX Action - Webco Mini Replica - 02.jpg

1977 Minicycle BMX Action - Webco Mini Replica - 03.jpg

1977 Minicycle BMX Action - Webco Mini Replica - 04.jpg

1977 Minicycle BMX Action - Webco Mini Replica - 05.jpg

Hey Steve, pm or text me your email address.  I posted this with you and Barry in mind, and of course to add to the Webco thread!  Full size scans are about 5 MB each.  Will probably take two or three messages to get them all to you.