Sign in to follow this  
reilley1

A little NW Action

This is from my friend and fellow officer Greg Olsen. I posted his AAA Rascal not long ago

RASCAL-1.jpg

Here's how it looked when he got it. Currently working on going to that configuration

WA-BMX6.jpg

A few action shots

WA-BMX4.jpg

WA-BMX2.jpg

WA-BMX3.jpg

WA-BMX1.jpg

WA-BMX7.jpg

Anyone you guys recognize?

Cool thread Rick. A bike and some pictures from the Northwest in the 80's!

Now were bringing back some memories...

The fourth, fifth, and sixth pictures are from River Valley BMX in Sumner, Washington -home to many Great Northwest Nationals BITD (my dad was a track official there on occasion) and I believe the third and seventh pics are from Bothell BMX. I'm sure the River Valley Pics are from the Summer of '84, the Bothell pics are probably '82-'83. Unfortunately I don't recognize your buddy Greg as I was probably a few years older than him and didn't race him. I do recognize a few of the riders in the fifth picture, which looks like a shot of gate practice before a race. #42 is Marty Nicolich, Team Fairwood, #12 is Damon Johnson, Co-Factory CW, and #22 is Bob Johnson (no relation), Team Fairwood. I raced Nicolich, in fact he was one of my nemesis' when I first turned Expert in '82. I could always count on him or his teamate taking me out at some point every other weekend. Funny thing is....it only made me train harder and ride faster so that eventually they couldn't catch me!

So what's the story on the bike, Rick? Was Greg the original owner? By 1984 the Rascal was probably a "few" years old wasn't it? Its kind of funny to me to think that back then I would have thought that frame was "kind of tired" for '84 while today I'm totally diggin' it over most the bikes in the shots (there IS a red DY in there). Thanks for restoring another classic. :32: Any more photos???

Edited by abombone
  • Like 1

so I have noticed since moving to the coastal areas, living in north Idaho most of my life, that oregon/washington riders bikes seem to be FILTHY all the time, not just like they road a weekend and havent cleaned them but that they NEVER clean them, this is from oldschool to new school, whats the deal? no pride in ownership? at the tracks all the time, I would say 95% of the bikes and totally filthy dirty never cleaned, can anyone help me understand this......look at the pictures here the bikes are nasty and everytime I go to buy an os bike its CAKED in dirt, like it never saw the end of a cleaning rag.

so I have noticed since moving to the coastal areas, living in north Idaho most of my life, that oregon/washington riders bikes seem to be FILTHY all the time, not just like they road a weekend and havent cleaned them but that they NEVER clean them, this is from oldschool to new school, whats the deal? no pride in ownership? at the tracks all the time, I would say 95% of the bikes and totally filthy dirty never cleaned, can anyone help me understand this......look at the pictures here the bikes are nasty and everytime I go to buy an os bike its CAKED in dirt, like it never saw the end of a cleaning rag.

they get dirty after a day of racing. and the weather here in the PNW are always nasty. growing up around here, almost all my racing buddies and my bikes are always clean. as well as at the tracks.

maybe your glasses is always dirty? lol

also, thats a cool pix, i change my frames every 6 months back in the days, this guy clearly loves his bike. kudos to him.

• Like 1

chuckling to self... :)

Yeah, it rains a lot in the NW especially on the west side of the mountains. If you've ever been lucky enough to visit the Puget Sound region in the Summer (70-90 degrees and sunny most the time), than you know there really isn't a better place to be. All of the races in the Spring, Summer, and Fall are outdoors, and during the winter all of the races are held indoors at arenas. There was an occasional rain race that would wreck havoc on my Campy's, but they were generally the exception and not the rule. I can't speak for Mr. Olsen's or his buddies' bikes (they don't look THAT bad), but the riders I associated with took a lot of pride in keeping our bikes dialed in and spotless, and our jerseys and leathers were always clean (the manufacturers and shops we represented would have canned us in a heartbeat if we looked anything less). The old saying goes -if you look fast, then you MUST be fast...

Mobass...I can sympathize with you finding some dirty bikes up here as that's been my experience too with most the bikes I run into while hunting. I will occasionally find a bike that looks like it stepped off the showroom, but they are the exception. The dirty bikes tend to be purchased from people who were ex-riders and not ex-racers. You can always tell who took pride in their bikes and who didn't by the way they were ridden and kept.

That is what is SO COOL about this community here as evidenced by all the sweet rides posted up. :32:

When I get my scanner up and running again (!@!#*!) I will post a few pics...

• Like 1

yeah but the clean bike owners are a minority, even on craigs list people listing stuff totally nasty dirty, oh well usually if its dirty I can get it cheaper! if they have no pride in keeping it clean they wont have any value in it either! maybe its a portland area thing.

Well I finally hooked up a scanner to post some pictures of me from BITD up here in the Great NW. Most of my pictures from the earlier 80's are away at the parents' house. Here's a few from my personal stash. Sorry for the crappy pics. Ironically, I noticed I'm not wearing my Gear leathers in any of the shots as I would normally wear at the bigger races. I guess those ol' Levis were just so damn comfy...

Here's a shot of me and a small contingent of our team (The Inside Line) after winning the Team Trophy at a double points race over at Quincy in "dry" Eastern Washington. From left to right are #23 (Me); #13 a young "Rocket" Rich Houseman (who went on to Factory Hutch later that year and had a huge BMX and MTB career and is the current MTB 4x National Champ); #17 Brent Lee (fast little honcho who had a long career); and #1 Chris Backus (who went on to Factory Hutch and Factory GT):

QuincyTeamTrophy__84.jpg

Me leading a moto at Quincy (they bumped me up to 16-17 novice/expert as there wasn't a 15x class that day:

Quincy__84.jpg

Winning my main at the '85 Washington State Championships at River Valley BMX in Sumner, WA

StateChamps.85.jpg

And in reference to an earlier post regarding how all bikes in the NW are "dirty" -well, the bikes look fairly clean to me...

• Like 1

I know Greg. I grew up with him. I can't believe I found this post. That picture has Greg, Brandon S and Myself in it. Can't remember where we were racing that day. I haven't heard from Greg since High School. It would be nice to catch up. If you could tell him hi for me that would be great.

Sincerely, Chris

• Like 1