Sign in to follow this  
reilley1

Mel Stoutsenberger - History of BMX photos (the Mel Thread)

I recently got a hold of another BMX pioneer and former Racer Mel Stoutsenberger. He is most famous for the picture taken of him at Western Sports A Rama and is quite the photographer with some incredible BMX and non-BMX pictures(This is the same picture taken from a different angle by the Red Baron)

post-605-0-36317200-1397837373.jpg

tags: the mel thread, Rick's bike shopand one taken by Rick Twomey at "the wash" in SimiMEL1.jpg(pic property Rick Twomey)This cat has a whole lot of history behind him as well as a lot of pictures.Here's a sampling of what he had to say:

I remember meeting Johnny and Doug (on their hack no less) at the Friday night races at Corral Beach. This family of BMX enthusiasts put together at fun little track under the oak trees for summertime racing. Mostly beach locals from the area came to the races so I don’t know who the others are in this shot although the guy with glasses looks like Bob Endy - not sure. They had an announcer that had a great sense of humor and cracked jokes all night long – It was a blast! Then they moved the whole operation to a Encinal Canyon hilltop and had some serious racing events including a high speed, downhill, all-classes opener and an annual Bicycle and motorcycle two day grand prix. More and more teams started showing up from the bay area and the valley. They gave away prizes for the top racers and even had purse awards for best overall. I found out later that that same family had put together a rock band called the “Surf Punks”…I know you’ve heard of those guys…Same dudes!

He also sent some great pictures to share.The infamous Thom Lund
hairy.jpg

THOM-3.jpg

Marvin Church and Bobby Encinas

MELS-1.jpg

Some additional info:

One of the first races I ever competed in was at the Indian Dunes with the CCC (Canoga Cycle Center) team. But there was another single event that year that we all raced at Palms Park. It was promoted by Cycle Products West motorcycle shop, owner Al Wertzle. Another early one if you didn’t have that data already. I’m just throwing it out there.I promoted three races of my own very early on that had many of the locals all racing together. The third race had over 75 entries including (you’ll love this) John George, Butch Baum, Kenny Zhart, Ronnie Haase, Earle Essen, Wayne Cataldi, Bill Ford, Paul Garcia, just to name a few.

and this amazing picture:
MEL-4.jpg

That one puts a tear in my eye.(All pics property of Mel Stoutsenberger, including the ones from Flicker so please do not distribute or link them without his permission. He's sharing some history with us, please respect his wishes)

• Like 1

cool pics Rick, don't you have Marvin Churches yellow bike? :32:

He doesn't have my bike....yet..... Mel truly had a style of his own and was a great photographer as well, looking forward to seeing more pics.

Here's two more great pics

Butch Baum on an XR-75. I think all of us wanted one of those

tumblr_msts6zCNEi1r31wzpo1_500.jpg

and the OM. Check out the BMXers in the background

scot-mcMedium.jpg

Camera: Minolta X-570
Film: Tri-x @ 400
Nikon Coolscan V
Photoshop CS2

Impressive series of pics. With these latest... all I can say is that I have dabbled with the old 70/80's era mx bikes, and still use an early 80's Yamaha XT 500. These bikes are tankers and getting them in the air with any semblence of grace or trickery is kind of a big deal really. At least I think so.

Classic stuff! The pictures are great, seemingly putting right there like a time warp, that or it is because it is 5 a.m. and am sleep walkin again. Great thread!

Too funny. I was pretty beat after wotking a 16 hour shift but I woke up early nevertheless thinking about what sort of picture Mel would send.

HACK-3.jpg

I remember running over to see if they were okay but the second I got to them they were back on their rig and shoving off to finish the race as if they were in first place.

Amazing...

Here's a few more

Name the track and riders:

p4pb8374460.jpg

A true classic

JP-DougieMedium.jpg

Rob Fair's CCC (Canoga Cycle Center) ride (the standard issue). Red Line forks, Motomags and custom hand made Franko Frame.

frank-bikeMedium.jpg

Here is an old from around '71, I grew up with both of these guys. They raced during the early days and they were both fast and stylish and they too were innovators to the sport. If you look close, the rider with the yellow shirt is in the crowd in that shot of me you posted at WSA.

71BMX.jpg

and check this one out!!

letsgo.jpg

Great and important photos. Thanks Mel, Rick and Rick.

Because I also was into skateboarding... I really get a buzz from the Rick's Bike Shop / Zephyr combo, era pics and relics!

I've had the pleasure of sitting in Rick Twomey's living room at the feet of the master... with old bmx newspapers and photos scattered all over the floor as Rick recounts the tales of the RBS/Zephyr nexus. Goosebump stuff... I'm telling you.

Two more. Name the crazies. Pilot on NBA-1 hack should be easy. I love the expression on the monkey in the second place hack. "Maybe this was not a good idea"

4-26-0719_copyMedium.jpg

The boys!!

4-26-0727_copyMedium.jpg

0020_copyMedium.jpg

How about another cool hack Pic? Langosh/McDowell

4-26-0720_copyMedium.jpg

and one of my favorites so far:

4-26-0713_copyMedium.jpg

Cool thread here Reilley! :32:

I can never get enough of these 70's shots, and that Langosh/McDowell shot is just plain SICK! What a rush it must have been to be a monkey in one of them, huh? I mean -racing your own bike is one thing, but hanging on to someone else's bike takes some BALLS and FAITH. I was a little young when the hacks were running so I have a pretty vague recollection of them. Always good seeing them on the OS. Keep 'em coming Rick!

this is fast becoming my favorite thread of all time for OG pics....UNREAL...thank you for sharing :24:

reilley....is that JP piloting the motorcycle hack?

this thread's unreal, thanks for the pics!!!!

Those pics are sooooo bitchen!!!! Thanks for posting them!!!

Tony

Here's a couple more. Guess the riders and location. (This one brings back so many memories of going motorcycle riding with my dad and also with my old friend Mike Hardaway and the Derosier family)

Image35Medium.jpg

and check this one out. Mind you, this is from the mid 70s

5-2-0715_copyMedium.jpg

Check this out:

Championship Class

1. Mike Burns Jr./Matt Sidoti (EML-Zabel) (2,2) 50 Points

2. Chris Johnson/Randy Langosh (EML-Honda) (1,4) 48 Points

3. Allen Wenzel/Bryan Wenzel (EML-Zabel) (3,3) 42 Points

4. Victor Palfreyman/Perry Mellilo (EML-Zabel) (7,1) 44 Points

The kid with the surprised look on the sidehack pictures (Randy Langosh and I believe brother of the late Richard Langosh ) is still racing along with JP's brother.

McDowell is also racing motorcycle sidecars. Check out his web page

bigjump.jpg

esas fotos estan de pelos back in the day grasias :bravo: :32:

DAMN! you just dont stop!....killer stuff :24: :30:

Check out the stem on JP's bike. I have a high resolution pic of it and it looks like something different.

Strange coincidence cause Rick Twomey and I had just finished talking about a custom-made stem around that time.