Sign in to follow this  
reilley1

Mel Stoutsenberger - History of BMX photos (the Mel Thread)

Cool Rick! Post some more! Always great having you here.

That pic of Bob Clinton always cracks me up.

3274710697_9179d1a704_o.jpg

Rick or Mel, the guy in the picture wearing the Sunshine bike jersey was a Nor cal rider but I cant remember his last name Mike ??????????? I know I have him in a picture of mine.

scan0131.jpgSame guy sitting on his bike in the background. I should know who he is but I cant remember his last name.

3279560681_f95d3caef5_b.jpg

Some of the members of the 1001 team families and friends at Yarnel.

3280380940_82915f807f_o.jpg

There seams to be a stray Motomag off to the right of the group.

:P sidehack photo yarnell thats a cool shot myself and scot b old school forsure

3196998516_3cc08c913e_o.jpg

Just an amazing image of those days, I had this overwhelming urge to share it again. Thanks again for the unforgettable memories, Rick.

Hows it going Marv? I found some more hack shots.

John...spikey knows the rider in the RBS pit area and named him in an earlier post that I regretfully can't seem find.

You out there, spike?

going great mell those are the bikes of history and that honda i remember riding that at 13 what a white nuckler

Mac attack

3286171352_00f8bf4a49_b.jpg

Billy Mac WFO and hangin' at Yarnel's downhill

Crack Mini Cycle / BMX Mag Photographers loom in the background

Photo by Mel Stoutsenberger

Some more morning hack action;

3287391299_1be9ca3652_b.jpg

Yarnel

...this thread is incredible. Please keep em coming.

Edited by Guyster

This seemed like the appropriate thread to lay this down... :shifty:

I don't know about you fellas'... but watching these guys BITD fueled and inspired my riding prowless... There's noting better than watching a Trans AMA Nation in your backyard, and then carrying that vibe into the way you rode.

Pick your favorite from back in the day! I think Sonoma '77... maybe Saddle Back?

transAMA.jpg

I like BAD Brad on the inside #24... :rawks:

FAST& Smooth...

MS.jpg

:break:

12326929330921.jpg

Twomey photo

HEY MEL

SMILE & WAVE FOR THE CAMERA :30:

Love these old behind the scenes shots RT... Gracias! :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

This thread never ceases to amaze, no matter how many times I read it... What a trip! :rawks:

This seemed like the appropriate thread to lay this down... :shifty:

I don't know about you fellas'... but watching these guys BITD fueled and inspired my riding prowless... There's noting better than watching a Trans AMA Nation in your backyard, and then carrying that vibe into the way you rode.

Pick your favorite from back in the day! I think Sonoma '77... maybe Saddle Back?

I like BAD Brad on the inside #24... :rawks:

Absolutely!

The root of BMX stems form motocross, it's only natural to feel that vibe.

It was Carlsbad for me, that track kicked ass!

3301049768_5e6a00a246.jpg

Feel the power

Like someone said in another post. (Heck it may have even been on another site.) And it rings so true. It rings true for me anyway. "back in those days no one called it BMX yet. It was just Motocross."

Yeah... please somebody save us from the excruciating boredom of that fake bullseye thread... Mel! Lund! Rick! Somebody please...

In the meantime... RBS is cited in this webco test from July 79. I know it's a little small for reading.

WebcoTestReferenceRBS.jpgWebcoTestReferenceRBS_2.jpg

Mel.......MEL.....where are ya? Got any new pics?

That photo of Marty Smith above was on my wall for years. Man, that's all I ever wanted to do and to be was represented by that picture.

G2

Grubby! Good to see you post here. I almost missed it.

Mac attack

3286171352_00f8bf4a49_b.jpg

Billy Mac WFO and hangin' at Yarnel's downhill

Crack Mini Cycle / BMX Mag Photographers loom in the background

................Ty Carter grew up in my area of Burbank.....His best friend Dale Standell also raced back then and helped promote our 'underground' races

at Lucky-Busters,in Burbank on Saturday mornings......I also remember them on a sidehack at Randal Ranch with disastrous results due to a Weinmen rim failure....!....(John's Bicycles.....'In the house..!).

While Mel was taking Ansel Adams quality pictures, the rest of us had our 110s

Carlsbad GP 1976 Wolsink I believeGerritWolsink.jpg

Hey Rick, nice to be posting. Hope you're doing well. This thread is amazing. Mel you're a genius. If memory serves me didn't Wolsink win back to back USGP's at Carlsbad ? Do you remember waiting for that race to be on ABC's Wide World of Sports all year like I did ? I'm going to take some grief for this but I hated it when the Euro's won. I respected the hell out of them and they were all on my wall too but, I wanted an American to win so bad. I mean he was a dentist for god's sake ! I'm kidding but I was really happy when Marty Smith and the rest of the Americans picked up their game and started winning here and abroad.We were underdogs and I love a good underdog story.

G2

Hey Rick, nice to be posting. Hope you're doing well. This thread is amazing. Mel you're a genius. If memory serves me didn't Wolsink win back to back USGP's at Carlsbad ? Do you remember waiting for that race to be on ABC's Wide World of Sports all year like I did ? I'm going to take some grief for this but I hated it when the Euro's won. I respected the hell out of them and they were all on my wall too but, I wanted an American to win so bad. I mean he was a dentist for god's sake ! I'm kidding but I was really happy when Marty Smith and the rest of the Americans picked up their game and started winning here and abroad.We were underdogs and I love a good underdog story.

G2

The race in the picture was the one when Wolsink crashed his motorcycle across the finish line in order to keep GP points away from Mikkola. Decoster was my hero and I hated Mikkola with a passion :)

I remember it was so hot that day. Hard to believe it was 33 years ago.

Check this out from YouTube