Sign in to follow this  
reilley1

Mel Stoutsenberger - History of BMX photos (the Mel Thread)

This was definitely the toughest section of Randell and the most fun if you had it down.

800719097_8c1350cc7e.jpg

I thought you had an electric stove....

.....errrr....yeah well........whatever.....ya know what I mean...

Mel, TL, Spike, since you guys are here. You recognize any of these guys? (other than "John Purucker" of course)

EARLYBMX.jpg

"Purucker!" :)

JP-1.jpg

Tis is a picture from a 1975 Bicycling magazine

I don't recognize any of these guys except the guy who looks like JP. But is that really JP? Maybe Thom could lend a hand here.

no I don't but I do remember Jed St Henri...let me go find my stuff. great my wife is gonna get back and give me the internet talk... :rolleyes:

One of the places we used to hang out was this flood control channel near Orcutt Ranch or Orcutt as we called it. We used to ride through the wilderness area and river like we were riding a trials event - no feet on the ground - disqualified for dabs. The older kids in the area made this drop-off / jump combo for their motorcycles but it was too tight for them to really get any air...Not for us!

Wayne Cataldi was one of the original CCC team riders.

495413356_00008c21a8.jpg

ok I found the box. I go online with a lap top and air card, so I have to go scan, on my other unit and burn a cd blah blah blah oh I have a box of Mikey D's with some malibu into the lake photos too...

Thom...

...I'm not quite sure what was going on with this "bike" back in those days and I didn't get a chance to ask Rick when I saw him at Elysian. Is that your chunk of steel?

47777972_15dded286e_o.jpg

Thanks, Brett!

Happy Birthday to ya!

Actually I think that is Billy McIntyre......Thom, did you ever race the bike pictured? I have a pic of you and JP on a gate and you are on an undrilled mono with a front fender like that.

spike the mono currently sits as in some of mels photo's. The front half with holes and the original seat were mangeled...no holes and a hacked jr sting ray seat, it used to have a preston petty mini bike fender cut to fit.

The bike with Mc? it has a sticker on the head tube? zoom in. mac did ride for bill murphy? I think he lived in burbank or atwater over by wayne king.

No, I don't think I rode that bike.

Cool, thought maybe ya might have, man, ya need to dig out YOUR pics and post em.

Edited by spike

:break:

SQUARE MONO-SHOCK .............. this is what i remember.

FACT: WAYNE KING built the first square mono-shock bmx bike in his shop in glendale.

FACT: THOM LUND had two of them. he did not make many. the actual total made by WAYNE KING unknown.

the picture of the two guys with the square mono-shock bike. NOT one of wayne kings. i don't think THOM ever rode this bike, if he did it was just to try once or twice down the track. (if im wrong here thom, jump in and help the old man out).

the picture and bike in question i was hoping to talk to mel about it to spark some old info. BUTCH BAUM and i talked about this very same picture and bike.

we couldn't come up with names for these two guys but the story on the mono goes something like this.

Thom...

47777972_5b57ac8bdf_o.jpg

...I'm not quite sure what was going on with this "bike" back in those days and I didn't get a chance to ask Rick when I saw him at Elysian. Is that your chunk of steel?

Holy Moly! Jay Leno rode bMX?? :lol: J/K Great pics and keep them coming.

:break:

sorry but i was cut off before i could finish the story.

now where was i? oh yea. the square mono-shock.

the mono shown in this picture was one of two that were brought into the canoga cycle center (canoga park california for you east coast guys). they were way heavy , but then the WK FLYER wasn't no light weight. the guy wanted the C.C.C. shop to buy and sell them.

the mono-shock itself. square tubed and looked close to the WK. it had a boge/mullhulend

overall the bike was no big deal and was just too heavy. total number made? unknown but i bet only the two samples.

MEL does any of that help you memory of the bike?

Butch Baum at Saddleback Park.

Photo: Rick Twomey

Edited by: Mel Stoutsenberger

531587878_395f37aa34.jpg

Cool to see the confusion about the mono/Billy pic, for some reason I though it might have been one of Thom's.