Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Elysian Was Grand... and I am much obliged to many

The gathering at Elysian was a real good time… so many good people, so many great bikes and the vibes were nice all around. I want to thank some people without whom the event just would not have been near as good or perhaps… even possible.

Ladies first… Chris Eden, aka Mrs. Carbizguy, my debt to you is profound indeed. Things changed late in the game this year and Chris came in and knocked it out of the park. The roar of the crowd was audible all over down town LA… some mistook it for the sound of the fans over at Dodger stadium, but the truth is of course that it was the sound of Old School BMX’ers with full stomachs cheering the woman who had provided a range of delectable culinary delights for the sustenance of all. Everyone without exception hailed the taste and quality of the meal prepared. The fact that crackerz were literally licking their plates clean, made it clear that these were not just polite platitudes… but expressions of real gastric gratitude!

Chris… dang, I owe you. You worked your ass off and I could not help but notice that you never skipped a beat in managing your own household… 3 beautiful girls plus another friend of their’s tagging along. Plus taking care of Lionel and the rest of us goofballs who turned up tattered and hungry at your place after it was all said and done. I am in awe of people like Chris. Never a disgruntled word… just getting it done and ALL done with style and grace. Thank you.

Next up… Lionel Eden, aka Chris Eden’s husband LoL! Aka Carbizguy. Lionel has helped me figure out what to do and when from the very beginning, and I do mean the VERY beginning…. as in going back to February when this event was still just a twinkle in our eyes. Lionel has advised, worked hard and generally shaped this event and I simply could not have done it without him. He happily takes my calls from Nepal in the wee hours of the morning US time and helps me work things out. Lionel is “the quiet moderator” here on the site but trust me when I say that his work and general influence are really at the forefront of not only things happening here on the site… but certainly every OS event out in So. Cal that I have been involved with. I am honored to be associated with peeps like Lionel and Chris Eden.

At this point, I worry that the general reader may be already growing weary… but don’t get up and leave while the credits are rolling here… please read and please recognize… because it is these people I’m citing up here, that are the people who insure the quality of YOUR experience, and I simply must recognize them and toast their contributions.

Ryan N… aka GT3540. The cool and calm man behind the OS-BMX table at the event. You are smooth, Ryan. Check out how you just laid back in the cut and provided clarity and managed the clerical side of the show. You re-worked my shambled little system and notebook full of unfocused registration facts and figures and transformed it into a streamlined bike show. I mean really… you made it happen. Thanks for being patient and when I was too distracted and stressed to deal with the crucial little details, you just worked it all out without skipping a beat. I appreciate it so much when I don’t have to micro-manage.

I love working with people like you Ryan… I just indicate the general idea of what I would like to see happen, and then you just make it happen AND with improvements. You are the man, and your girlfriend is wicked fly I might add. :34: Ryan, didn’t grumble in the least at having to man the OS-BMX tent while his own tent and bikes (one of which won best in show btw) sat often unattended across the path. That is selfless. You are the man, Ryan. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am much obliged.

Ok… I’ll try to be more brief now. Conor… good meeting you, bro. Thanks for your assistance at the OS-BMX table as well. Also thanks for helping me break it down at the end. It was fun hanging out.

Pieter Van Soelen and his daughter! Thanks Pieter… you really took the pressure off by getting the event shirts delivered to me. Your daughter is a great and unbiased raffle ticket puller too. Great to meet you both. Your bikes were beautiful by the way!

Butch! My man Tite 681... thanks for your generous contribution to the raffle!

Greg Grubbs… you rule. Greg hooked me up with an electric generator, which must have been a tremendous pain in the ass to make happen on the Friday of Memorial day weekend… and we ended up brewing the coffee off site and transporting it, not even using it. Sheez! Sorry for the imposition Greg… you’ll have to excuse us for working the details of these endeavors out as they happen.

Also… Greg donated that Aero jersey of his that dated back to his infamous “free agent” era that was immortalized in the pages of BMXaction. We raffled off the jersey and Conor won it. I’ll tell you… that is a very cool piece of BMX “golden age” history and its moments when raffle items such as this come up that I bemoan my “ineligible to win” status as site owner.

Finally… let me just give a shout out to Rick Twomey. Rick provides sage council. He IS the Godfather. He is the one who has been there and done that. Rick has been very generous with sharing the fruits of his vast experience and that is true of life in general but certainly his experience with event/shows has been very helpful to me. I never did anything like these events before and Rick has taught me a lot. When things began to crumble around the edges a little after my arrival back in the States, Rick listened to my woes on the phone and then asked a few questions and said “ok, I’ll call you back in 5 minutes”. 5 minutes later… BOOYA… done. Rick wiped out certain very severe obstacles I was facing and got things right back on track.

At the risk of belaboring this, I will reign it in… I probably forgot to mention some people and that’s why naming names is always tough, but please believe it is nothing personal… I’m just still coming down from the many weeks of intense preparation and believe me -- I am grateful to every one. Dirty, Shinburger, Greyboy, ShadesSean (you are so good to the site Sean - I really appreciate it!)… thanks… it’s so good to know there are peeps watching my back and ready to step in and assist at any given moment.

Thanks to the guys who helped us get the Webco bike for Rick together. Thanks to Mike (FelixX26) and the people at Joffrey’s Coffee. Thanks to thebmxcollector.com for all the great raffle items. Thanks to Marcos and Zueted for donating shirts. Thanks to Sweetskinz for a very generous donation of a pack of tires in various sizes and designs, and thanks to Todd Lyons and SE Bikes. Todd…is a true homey, and has been incredibly gracious and you guys are going to be getting a much clearer picture of Todd and SE’s generosity real soon. Believe me… prepare to be blown away and stoked!

Ok… finally, thanks to all that came out to park and made it what was widely hailed as one of the greatest gatherings ever… and on a holiday weekend at that.

Much love and gratitude to all of you. :cheers:

SB

:homies: :homitas: :homies:

:cheers: well said Steve... too well said your making all cry :cheers:

Thanks Steve for handling the stress and getting the show together, anything I can do to help out OS-BMX, you don't have to ask twice!

Although i was unable to stay allday i think lionels wife gets mad props for what she did and although i was not there to witness it im sure it was an unreal sight as she has ALWAYS been this type of person!! Steve Thanks for the shirts only problem is now my son walks around the house with his middle finger in the air saying"repop this!!".All the bros great to see you again and as always the laughs were priceless!!First off MAD PROPS TO ADAM A.K.A. JMCACE as you showed your true colors bro and i really dig that!!FIREBIRD if you ever find a set of revcore bars think of me first!! :32: OC DAVE i will always remember you wanting me to catch a trouser trout and me ignoring your dumb ass!!It was really cool to see andy patterson and i want to thank everyone for the parts hookups except JASON 26incher who burnt me for the GMSPANKER!!Just kidding bro it was all in fun. :32: The event appeared to be a Huge success and did anyone get the final bike count? Hey DJGREYBOY call me we have somethng we need to work out and thanks for all the laughs!!RVATO i am still thinking about that gorilla 10k wow what a waste of money!!just kidding bro that bike is sick. SHADESEAN,BRIAN AND CRUISERKING thanks for all the parts you sold me.GREAT MEMORIES!!Thanks Guys.STEVE YOU DID A GREAT JOB JUST RELAX A BIT AS STRESS IS THE #1 CAUSE OF EARLY DEATH IN AMERICA!! :32:

:break:

Steve just read your post, even though it took me as long to read it as War and Peace you almost covered it all. :bravo:

BUT ...... you FORGOT SOMEONE, you forgot the MAN himself ..... Steve Brothers. You did one HELL of a job. :32: now i almost forgot someone else (see how easy it is to over look important people).

i want to thank NISHA, STEVE'S wife for letting him come all the way from NEPAL to do this event. LOVE & MISS YOU GIRL. :41: :hug:

O-S BMX.COM RULES :24:

:thanks: RICK T.

I wrote a long winded novel about all the great things that this event represents, but it's a long read and you guys have outside things to do, so I'll just say Thanks to all people involved and a special thanks to Steve Brothers for putting up with all our crap and for putting on this great event.

(Maybe I'll post the novel later) :)

Steve, you're about as cool as Santa Claus. Thanks for having this event.

Great to see everybody helped out when you were in need Steve :)

:32: Way to step it up guys!

...but wait, no props for Gonzo?? :(

Gonzo passed the torch and we are indeed grateful. Gonzo has poured his heart and soul into the bbq for many years, establishing the Gonzo / OS-BMX bbq as a major event on the world's old school bmx calendar for the past 6 years. This show, with Chris Eden handling the culinary duties was indeed the end of an era. Gonzo was able to enjoy the show, and the Redline display he and some of the homies put together was top notch.

Gonzo passed the torch and we are indeed grateful. Gonzo has poured his heart and soul into the bbq for many years, establishing the Gonzo / OS-BMX bbq as a major event on the world's old school bmx calendar for the past 6 years. This show, with Chris Eden handling the culinary duties was indeed the end of an era. Gonzo was able to enjoy the show, and the Redline display he and some of the homies put together was top notch.

Gonzo did exactly what i did this year for event prep and that was nothing. I am being 100% honest but being a spectator is so much more enjoyable and stress free. Seriously steve the communitty is lucky to have people like you,lionel,lionels wife and so many others. This hobby needs people to keep it organized or it would be one big mess.I finally got to chit chat with gonzo and buy a gang of killer stuff off of all my homies and not stress and trust me steve i know this stuff is stressful so take light to what i say about not trying to stress.Its the wierdest fucking feeling the day the show is over but blink twice and the 2008 show will be 2 weeks away!! Thank god gonzo ever had an idea for 20 bros to meet in a park some 7 or so years ago!!

:) I just woke from my bmx dirt NAPP. after 20 bikes setting them up, and then hauling it all home. i just wanted to say THANKS TO THE CAR BIZ FAMILY AND S BROTHER'S for every thing. elsyian is always family fun. GREAT TIMES :) GOOD TO SEE EVERY BODY :) there were lots of bitchen bike to many to take in. THE AUBURN PIT THAT WAS KILLER anthony please tell the tells of it.

SEE YA next year . oh i almost forgot to thank SHAWN S/ E for the KING NUT award. :)

Because of Steve and all the effort that he and all the other guys put into it, I get to have the honor of being in a picture such as this one.

TeamRick.jpg

To almost anyone else, it's probably just a whole bunch of old dudes but to me. it means everything that BMX represented to me in the old days.

Thank you Mr. Brothers

hey s. brothers it was nice to finally meet you and put a name to the face. thanks for exchanging my shirt. hope to see you again. :)

TeamRick.jpg

I had the honors of actually snapping this here pic...in return for my duties,My son got this Kick Ass decal for his Number plate.........

That's right...Still Kickin Ass!!!!!!!!!!!

april292007osbmxug6.jpg

Sod's still going thru all his photos to post up. Not a bad one in the bunch. He said due to the red flag fire warnings that they weren't allowed to bbq in the park this year. He had a great time and thought the quality of all the bikes this year was top notch.

well you know the Eden clan is always down to help.

thanks steve, my wife Chris really enjoyed reading your comments. It made her feel really good... She's there in a pinch, thats just the way she is, I love that woman!

anytime steve, it was my pleasure to help and it was great to meet you and be able to kick it for a bit. thanks for getting that jersey signed for me, even though i had no clue who grubbs was until i got schooled. hahaha...youngins....

jason 26er thanks for helpin me get to lionels and i wanna go for a ride before i leave

lionel thanks for having me to you house again afterwards. its the EXACT same thing that we did last time i was here 2 years ago, and you are keeping my elysian memories consistant and my eyes red...hahaha

cruiser thanks for letting me post up under your tent, and the trip to your truck...again, the same thing we did 2 years ago.

ryan, dirty, and everyone else i talked to it was great to see and meet you all again.

firebird, sorry i didnt come and say whats up. i didnt recognize you again till the end of the event, and by that time i was so wasted i think i forgot pretty much instantly once i rememberd...hahahaha whatever that means...

i hope to make it again next year for sure, this time with bikes and a little more preparation...

conor

Thanks Steve and the Edens that show was easily the best one yet.

Just got home.

I have a bunch of pics to post tommorrow.

Meeting and BS'n with Andy P. was to cool. Listening to Eddie F's stories was the shiznit.

Mike and I got to throw a couple back with Pete Augustine and his better half that was really cool too sorry we all didn't hook up later.

Might sound weird but meeting and talking with John Ker was almost the highlight of my weekend the dude has seen almost all of it and still does all the time.

Vato basicly baby sat us for the weekend, dude that kicked ass.

Vato even took us on a OS cruiser ride Sunday morning to the beach before our 6 hr. drive back, Santa Monica :rawks:

Met some really cool people Vato's bro Toby and met bmxrob (I owe ya), Pizant, Dirty, 26incher, Codeblue everyone was hangin and having a great time. This thing needs to be 2 days, 1 day for BS'n and one day for checkin out the bikes lol.

:cheers: for a well done show.

P.S. Steve the show looked seamless(well planned) to everyone I talked to. So it def all worked out.

Another great day at the park guy's.Steve you did a fine job.It was great to see all the bro's again,everybody seemed to be havein a ball.Andy Patterson was a straight up cool dude.He had no problems signin autographs for anyone who asked.Vato you out did yourself w/that candy red 24,that bike was totally sick.Thanks to OCDAVE the mad trucker for his Trucker Tacos,those things were bangin.It was nice to see Gonzo actually walkin around talking to people instead of standing in front of a hot grill w/beads of sweat running down his face.Here's to another successful DAY AT THE PARK :cheers:.And to the powers that be and made this possible for all of us.WE SALUTE YOU :bravo .I can't wait for next year.Special thanks to Adam Cox for letting me share his famous JMC spot and hookin a brother up,you rock bro.

Later,

Glenn...P.S......Steve the brown shirts are by far the best ones yet great job!!! :32:

Man its a BUMMER that another OS gathering has come and gone :teary: .

Steve many many thanks for this AWESOME event we had this weekend, by far one of the best gatherings I've been to. I saw a lot of the homies :homies: and I got to meet some new super KOOL peeps. There were alot of SICK rides there. :wow:

Mr and Mrs Eden, MUCHAS GRACIAS for feeding us and stepping up. :thanks: