Sign in to follow this  
abombone

Using an Old School aluminum BMX frame for a rider?

I was pondering this a while back after another member here picked up a looptail PK Ripper, and some of you hinted that it's better to not ride it at all for fear of breakage -Can old school aluminum BMX frames be built up and ridden "safely" as riders?

I'm not talking about rare frames like a JU6, or full blown track exposure. Sure, everything is fixable when you have cats like Rod Miles around, but does aluminum fatigue more so over the years than chromoly and mild-steel frames/forks and have a shorter "natural" lifespan?

I'm asking this because I'm thinking about picking up a older PK Ripper/Race Inc./FMF project...

and it will be at the minimum a light rider as I like to ride ALL of my bikes :Liv2ride:

I work in the alum industry. Aluminum tempers harder and harder as time passes. The harder is gets, the more brittle it becomes.

depends on a few factors ----

first off - are you under 200lbs or over ? (for an old loop PK) i'd say that is about the cut off if not slightly less 180 or so - anything over would strain the frame quite a bit especially on the seatmast/clamp area ... next would be the chainstay/bb area

second - what do you mean by rider ? if you mean the casual cruiser witha curb endo or bunny hop off the curb here and there, i don't think it would be that big a deal

but

if your talkin' hitting the trails or skatepark and launching her off some knarly jumps - i wouldn't recommend that in the least, you just might end up cracking yourself as well.

I'm not a huge guy and tip the scales at 175 lbs....so I'm probably within the limits.

We're talking light trail riding where this particular bike would probably never leave the ground and test the laws of gravity, as I really don't want to wreck a collectible...the frame or myself -lol.

Althought its not what you consider a high end pk model.my 86 has made a perfect rider for quite a few OS-BMX beach cruises.

At 230 lbs,Im no light weight and probably have pushed this bike to its limits.

(86 pk w/#3 number plate)

P8030001.jpg

April292007OSKBMX.jpg

those later model pk's are a bit stronger then then the older loop tails --- the changes to the seatmast and the modification of the dual tubing used in place of the single wrap-a-round loop of the chainstays was made to address the breakage issues the earlier ones suffered from, in which cases they did quite well.