Sign in to follow this  
keep_it_warm

The old riding spot

I was out visiting my brother recently, and we had to run an errand. We were driving down dirt roads past the house we grew up in. I said, "I wonder if the old riding spot is still there?" My brother slowed down when we came to the spot.

He stopped the car, shut it off, and we got out to start walking into the wooded area. About 150 feet off the road, under a thick canopy of tall trees was the same old spot we used to ride 25 years ago. It is basically a dried-out creek with perfectly sloped sides. You can't see it from the road. And the overhead trees are so thick that no grass ever grew in there. We used to ride it like a redneck skatepark - diving down in and catching air out the other side. Or get some serious speed pedaling down the length of the creek bed and pick your spot to come up for air. We carved our names into the trunks of trees lining the creek. We carved the names of our favorite bands of the day: Devo, Iron Maiden, AC/DC. We even stashed our old 'skin mags' in there (although we didn't find any of them). Each of our friends would raid his dads stash and contribute a few choice pics to stare at when we all met there to ride.

It was a really cool feeling being there. The land is up for sale now and there will eventually be houses built, so I'm pretty happy that we had the chance to see it again. Just thought I'd share.....

:)

• Like 1

My old riding spot was torn down due to the parents complaining that bikes were being stolen, fights, drugs. Now we play paintball back there. Not even a slight clue that BMX jumps were ever there. Good old Clover Hills...RIP!

I know i never took any pictures, i was too busy hitting the jumps and getting a BJ from the trail WHORE (no need to worry, i was always first in line, no sloppy seconds for me!!!!) LOL!

Jon

1412806615_4d150d4ff4.jpg

1412806053_8881bf2b7f.jpg

1412806325_682c37fd18.jpg

Out at one of my favorite spots in 1975, the canal is still there but all the open space in the wheelie photo is filled with houses.

• Like 1

1393710501_346abf718f.jpg

Another favorite spot, actually at that time in the 70's there were alot of riding spots when you were young and dumb.

• Like 1

Cool pics Spike... most of my old riding spots have been re developed, housing, new roads, etc...

Tara.... i see her once in awhile....she is actually married to the guy who was always next in line after me!!!!!

Jon

We had a place in S.A. called the pits and there was a ditch by my house we used.

bmx_10059.JPG

bmx_10072.JPG

bmx_10073.JPG

bmx_10067.JPG

bmx_10069.JPG

bmx_10071.JPG

:3_3_102[1]: One Long ass story, skip mine unless you're really bored...

:lol:

We lived on the Saudia Arabian Airline Compound (which is like a small walled in city). Within this small city in Jeddah, Saudia Arabia there were smaller housing sections within it, signified by direction like SW, NE, NW etc. In the middle of the city were large empty fields and huge (Round-a-bout) that you drove around to go to other communities (like in Europe).

:True:

After school most of the Expat kids would meet up in the field or the huge (20-30+ ft) Water tower which was in the middle of the city. We almost all had a bike of some sort (we were the Groms) 6-10 year olds and hung out together in some form or fashion. We would race to each Rec. Center around the compound and build a jump or bunny hop over people laying down to see who was RL for the day! ha ha

:24:

This was 1981-1984 and BMX was growing by the minute even over seas. New kids would show up with the latest bikes (JMC or Skyway) and we all had US PO BOX subscriptions to BMX Action! Our fathers all worked for the airline and would fly to the US at least once a week, that is how we got our parts and bikes, Vans, Haro Plates, clothes and BIG MAC burgers were the common request, extra stickers was always cool! I lived there from 1979-1986 and it all remains a blur because time went by so quickly, exploring new parts of the city, sneeking out of the compound to visit buddies in other compunds miles up the desert road all on our BMX bikes. Bunnyhoping tall Marble sidewalks and gutters of villas and buildings, exploring the unknown culture of Arabia and getting to smaller Expat compunds, where girls were happy to see us! ha ha

:Liv2ride:

Anyhoo, we had a spot in the middle of the city and hung out in a BMX crew, Candy Red Pk Ripper (D. Stearns), Silver PK (Matt Noe), Blue Quad(forgot), Chrome JMC(Chris Shine), Chrome Skyway(Rusty Meder), Chrome Redline(Ralph Cagiano) and Kuwahara kz-1 (Todd Brooks), CW Pit (Amir Sulieman) MT Fox (Miki Twinning) Chrome HUtch Trickstar (Wassim Hussein) and me on my ET Kuwahara and many others. We'd test each other's knowledge on how many people Mike Buff could bunnyhop, the coolest WalkMAN or music and the latest BMX crank set up so everyone was on point.

We'd also find the latest family to move into our compound and (borrow) their huge empty boxes and break dance!!! Ha ha , we used to bust our ass but if you landed cool and pose then you were da shit! ha ha lol.

:rawks:

Next month is our class reunion from Saudi and I plan to take my laptop and show them this thread as well the bikes and culture we have here at OS-BMX and because these were Old Schoolers themselves I'm sure they will get a kick to know that OS-BMX is alive and kickin' hard!.. :homies:

:lol:

I think we should Break-Out the cardboard at our next OS-gathering! Ha ha, everybody line up! :dance:

:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

ahhh the memories --- so many came and went, most having been built over with developments ... but one still remains and is still somewhat presentable , though it hasn't been tediously kept up as it was in the past.

but we finally have skateparks in the area including a poured cement park (clover pool and hip) within a few minutes distance, so they have replaced the need for spots .... it took forever though and its still a slow and not so thorough atempt on most those little make shift parks, but its better then nothing i'd suppose.

this place is called the castle i go hit this spot all the time100_0170.jpgi will post a couple at orange ave /aka/honda hill.it to has houses on it now

My old spot is still there! The area was commonly known as "the cycle flats" allot of dirt bike guys would ride there in the late 60's. We would always refer to the area as "the Gully". As condos and houses encroached nearby complaints went up and the cops and the land owners (Suma corp.) own security guards would chase the motorcycles off. But they never bothered with us kids on bicycles because no one ever complained about us! :lol:

I don't have any pic from back in the day but i do have a few resent ones. The first is a google earth image.

GoogleEarth_Image5.jpg

I took some pics for Spike there a little over a year ago.

spike-1.jpg

spike-11.jpg

I also took one of my builds there for a little photo shoot just after I got it done.

sodfather-xviii.jpg

sodfather-xxvii.jpg

I am happy to say that kids still ride there today. A whole new dirt jumping area was constructed by some of the locals to ride. Plus most of my old familiar trails are still there too. :)

But I fear that it's only a matter of time before something is built there :(

here is a pic from orange ave chula vista / AKA HONDA HILL this is a about a 15 foot vert wall called hare pin / aka scorpio this was dug in to a river bed it had to be 60 feet wide at this section. just ask da- gryd he has had the pleasuer of orange ave . try to get more pics scaned hommie style.ORANGE_AVE.jpg the dude on the left is chris harris one of the nuts i would hang whith he was crazy i raised him right .

U-KNOW! :homies: :homies:

LONG LIVE HONDA HILLS!!! :True: :True:

CHULA VISTA IN DA HOUSE!!! :40:

A 13-year bump on this, eh? LOL. Believe it or not, I actually have pictures to add.

IMAGE #1:  The house I grew up in from 1978-1988. Thirty acres of fields, trees, creeks, animals and fun. The yellow circle is my old bedroom window. We use to open it and put the big house speakers out on the top of the porch roof and blast all the good stuff (Iron Maiden, ACDC, VH, Judas Priest, etc). The ditch in front of the house was the perfect spot to grab some air after getting as much speed as you could by pedaling down the road. It has been 'filled in' quite a bit by subsequent owners. Also, in the 70's/80's none of those rocks were there.

IMAGE #2:  The corner of Church and School. We would spend time here every day. This was on the way to school, so it was a guarantee every day. No big deal...about 2.5' tall.

IMAGE #3:  The corner of St. Clair and Day. The ride into town was about 3 miles. We rode our bikes to school every day regardless of weather. Pouring rain, snow, icy roads. It wasn't even a thought. We just did it. As you enter the town of Almont, you are pedaling uphill, so you were usually gassed out by the time you would hit this jump. The retaining wall was not there back in the day. The old lady who lived there couldn't stand it when we would jump onto her lawn, so this was more of a hit-it-and-go place.

IMAGE #4: The corner of Black and Bristol. My mom worked for a local lawyer in the building on the left. The picture is the rear of the building. We spent a LOT of time here. That angled slab of concrete was like a wedge ramp. Think R.L. and Buff doing 180's and endos at the top, with rollbacks. The usual routine was to ride into town, go to the laundromat. In the back of the laundromat, they sold bottles of pop for $.50 and candy bars for $.25 each. So, for a buck, I could get a Diet Pepsi and two Snickers. Then we would ride to Black/Bristol to ride wheelies, do endos, and any other BMXA trick team tricks we could think of. The Almont Arcade was about 500 feet away (off to the left of the picture). When we wanted a break, we would ride over and get quarters from Denise, the young (hot) girl who worked there. Stargate, Tempest, Donkey Kong, Tron...we would waste a couple dollars there, then head back and ride again.  Just typing this has me wishing I could go back and waste one more day doing this same thing.

0003.jpg

0002.jpg

0005.jpg

0007.jpg

So very cool Tom. Has the riding spot from your og post been developed?

Well, sort of....here are a couple of google satellite pics of the area in question.

In the first image, the large yellow DOT at the bottom is the corner our house was on. The big outlined area is the area we used to ride in the creek.

The second image is a closeup of the riding area. The creek (blue line) is basically dry the entire year except in the spring when the snow is melting. The entire area was wooded 40 years ago, but now there are scattered homes on that road.

The last image is at the intersection of my old house. The dirt road on the right leads down to the riding spot.

Screenshot 2021-01-28 134044.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-28 134225.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-28 134938.jpg