Sign in to follow this  
williwoods

What is the SE/FMF/Race Inc connection

Well as some of you know I am a bit of a newb and need you vets to school me os style.

I am very fascinated by SE the bikes the attitude and style. Was looking at the thread where Scott was posting personal pics etc....

seeing the add for the FMF frame made me think about my FM-Flyer and how similar it is to a PK etc..and of course the Race Inc connection as well.

So tell me what the connections were and how these various companies were connected who were the people behind these and why.

Also I keep seeing these STR-1 JU-6 etc.......I have no idea what these are so could someone post pics along with explanations as to what these models are?

Maybe a good thread to discuss the SE timeline and offshoots.

thank you in advance

Will

I am by no means an SE expert -- I'm sure someone will be able to school you much better than I can...

But the basic jist of it is, Scot Breithaupt worked for/with FMF before starting SE (Scot Enterprises). They contracted Race Inc early on to build their frames but eventually moved production "in-house".

There's a lot more to it, but that's the nitty gritty.

There's a bunch of info on SE in the "University of Old School BMX" section if you decide to become a supporting member of the site.

Lee

I am by no means an SE expert -- I'm sure someone will be able to school you much better than I can...

But the basic jist of it is, Scot Breithaupt worked for/with FMF before starting SE (Scot Enterprises). They contracted Race Inc early on to build their frames but eventually moved production "in-house".

There's a lot more to it, but that's the nitty gritty.

There's a bunch of info on SE in the "University of Old School BMX" section if you decide to become a supporting member of the site.

Lee

yeah its about time to contribute............very soon

Ok, the short version

The connection is that they are all related to AAA Engineering.

They made the original aluminum Kawasakis

K-1.jpg

As a result, they made their own AAA Rascal

rascal_6.jpg

Bill Bastian was working for Triple A at the time

Then came the FMF

FMF-1.jpg

Followed by all sorts of versions of Race Incs

pat5.jpg

(Photo courtesy RoostBMX)

and off-brand bastards like the Foiler and others and of course the earlier PKs as BH will probably point out when he shares his knowledge

PK-RIPPER-JONATHAN-HEARN.jpg

I'm going to defer to Mr. Hays, because he tells this story so eloquently. And... as the faculty member of U of OS BMX... this is exactly what he (never) gets paid to do.

:lol:

Seriously though... if B.H. doesn't pop in soon, I'll regurg some info.

Brian... when my ship comes in, you're going to be sitting pretty. :dance:

In the mean time, I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a grilled tofu samich today.

You guys are great thanks for the pics reilley

keep it coming otherwise i'll have to ask a bunch more silly questions.

(clearing throat)

OK. Here goes. Like Reilley said. Triple A was where Bill Bastian worked in the early to mid 70's. As you can see by Reilley's pics of his bikes, the main frame of the Kawasaki and the Triple A Rascal are one in the same. In 1974 or 5 Triple A went belly up and Bill Bastian started a company called Race Inc in 1976. The first Race Inc frame was the 20" RA7 which was simply a refined Triple A Rascal. At the same time, Scot B started the BMX division of the MX company FMF. Bastian built the FMF frames for Scot, again being identical to the RA7. Bastian also did the Foilers and Spoilers for Cycle Pro (Again the same frame as the RA7 and FMF but the Foiler had an eliptical top tube) as well as the Laguna frames. After the 77 model year for FMF, FMF bailed on the BMX side and Scot started a small little company called SE Racing. Bill Bastian who owned Race Inc and made all these other frames was now building alloy frames for Scot starting in 1978. The first production frame was a JU6, which was Jeff Utterbacks signature frame. The JU6 is IDENTICAL to a loop PK Ripper MINUS the front gussett. The JU later became the PK in 79 when Jeff went to GJS and Perry Kramer needed a signature frame of his own.

(if you go to the gallery section in the bike database, I have pics of all the JU6's still in existance)

Bastian and Scot worked hand in hand building and designing frames until late 81 when Scot took his jigs and went "in house" to do his own production, due to Bastians extremely odd work ethic (or lack thereof). Bastian continued to make frames for Race Inc and Raleigh Rampar through 84 until Race inc closed it's doors. Even after the split in late 81 (or so) these two companies remained connected by the fact that the Race Inc RA10 was a direct copy of the PK Ripper and for the 83-84 seasons, Perry Kramer himself, rode for and managed the Race Inc Team. Bill Bastian is still alive but not been heard from in many many years.

Join up, pay your site support and you can get the full SE timeline from the beginning with additions to the text by the OM himself.

***Readers Digest version because I've never recieved my check from S Brothers. :)

Join up, pay your site support and you can get the full SE timeline from the beginning with additions to the text by the OM himself.

***Readers Digest version because I've never recieved my check from S Brothers. :)

fantastic stuff and membership is coming............just a couple more days. Been busy buying up parts with me money lol payday is thursday

This story makes me want an os se even more

...and they are all aluminum! LOL!

all aluminium except for Raceinc. they built chrome f&f also.

I hope your readers will see my post with a little more insight into these events.

Um....ya.

• Like 1

all aluminium except for Raceinc. they built chrome f&f also.

Yes. Race Inc made the RM1 and RM2 chromoly frames from 79ish to 84. Beautiful frames. I've never been able to tell what differentiates a 1 from a 2 yet.

hm

Hi, in uk and have been given a fmf junior expert could anyone please give me a insight to telling the age from serial number and bikes worth please.

Kind regards.

Dave.

4 hours ago, Dave said:

Hi, in uk and have been given a fmf junior expert could anyone please give me a insight to telling the age from serial number and bikes worth please.

Kind regards.

Dave.

pictures or it didn't happen