Sign in to follow this  
Guest BMXISME2

The Ultimate Mongoose Thread of All Time

thought this would be cool to post here.

Hot Wheels ad.

12489371_836204809823065_1103775706634266063_o.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve been deeply in love with BMX Products/Mongoose since 1976. The iconic and groundbreaking bike rarely leaves my conscience for more than a month or so... Weird. I guess it may be the extraordinary childhood memory of building the first ever Mongoose exported outside the USA, sent directly from Skip Hess and hand packaged by Rick Twomey. It may be the perfectly vivid memory of popping wheelies and bunny hopping my ‘76 on that first day my father and I built it and the impression it made upon my entire neighbourhood... Like the late Chuck Smith told me over the phone... “The Mongoose was a combination of the first Webco and Garry LittleJohn frames which were the best frames on the market.” I’m pretty sure it was also the first mass produced nickel plated frame in the bicycle world. The bike was so striking and perfectly ready for off road racing, it was nearly breathtaking... The design is so good that most of them (with a little basic TLC) are all still perfectly rideable today. The Mongoose lives long and is still very strong.

Edited by mongoosedrummer
  • Like 1

A lot of debate has gone on over the years as to what is the frame that has had the most influence on BMX design. I've always said (rightly or wrongly, just my opinion) that it is the Mongoose. They are just soooo good to ride...:-)

• Like 1

I think Mongoose influenced more kids into BMX than any other brand worldwide purely based on the volume of bikes that were put out there in the late 70s.lve just bought some bikes to flip and im having a hard time letting go of this 80 mongoose as it was my first true bmx bike....i dont think i will let it go actually!

The track i first raced at was run by a guy who had a shop full of mongooses...the majority of bikes at that track were BMX products bikes early on.im talking about Australia here so we were somewhat isolated initially to all the brands available in the US..maybe the first 12 months or so.

so many off site hosted pics are gone...

shame people wouldn't ever listen to pleas to host things here.

And now for some good news... I gave Skip Hess Sr. a call this morning and reached him at home in Somis. He is doing great! His fridge was on the fritz and he didn’t have a huge amount of time, but it was great catching up with him. No talk of BMX at all, however, I did bring up his old Delorean. That car came up recently in a conversation I had with someone here and I didn’t even know about it before! Haha Anyhow, he’s doing great, end of report.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2018 at 1:27 AM, mongoosedrummer said:

Anyhow, he’s doing great, end of report.

:ThumbsUp:

photos from the 2019 gathering honoring Skip and BMX Products / Mongoose

Mongoose_Perry_Danny_ Skip_Stanley_2019.jpg

Mongoose_team_van_nuys_2019.jpg

Steve_Skip_Hess_2019_BMXsociety_show_VanNuys.jpg

skip_70s_winner.jpg

• Like 4