Sign in to follow this  
BMXROB

Hey Boss guys

I recently finished up my Boss 24 build (looking for decals) and wanted to post some pics and get some feedback. I was told this frameset was bought new (along with bars and maybe cranks) in 1983/84 and is of the first generation framesets made under the Boss name. I understand that if that info is correct than this may belong in Vintage and not Mid-school but Boss is considered by most to be a mid-school era company. That and this crowd probably knows more on the brand. Take a look and if anyone has any info or comments please chime in. Thanks.

IMG_6530.JPG

Boss1.jpg

Boss2.jpg

Also it was originally chrome before being powdrered black. I was also told the lack of the gusset at the headtube is an indication of 1st gen Boss. This true?

First Gen Boss was actually a looptail (aka Panda) if I am not mistaken. I don't think they had that little gusset up until the late 80's. That sucker is sweet Rob.

Thanks for the props! Im trying to obtain a Boss ad from an older mag (83ish) that may confirm the design in Boss' early years, after Panda. After researching old posts here and over at Vintage it seems as is Boss is one of those companies that has lots of confusion behind it. Well maybe not so much confusion as having no definite answers.

Now that I think of it, I think some of the early 90's cruisers didn't have them either. Darren Chan would be a great resourse for this question. I am fairly certain you cannot date them based on that gusset.

the bars are earlier 4 piece... but are they as early as 83/84? want to say theyre later than that.

i think in 88 they showed up w/ the extra crossbar like the pro bars did?

Edited by cw

oh, btw.... that cruiser is a beauty! the powdercoat is a really excellent job :ThumbsUp:

cant wait to see it dressed in decals... DC could probably handle that too!

Anyone know how I can get in contact with Darren Chan?

Anyone know how I can get in contact with Darren Chan?

There are three different eras of Boss. The earliest era was when Carlo Lucia was the owner/welder. He had both the looptail and the nonlooptail versions of the 24 inch and 26 inch cruisers. The looptail was likely leftover Panda Pro Am tubing. The second era would be when Panda and then Bill Dumas owned the company. Elf and/or Bill welded these frames. The third era involved Jesse Guymon being the primary owner and Trevor Pigott as the welder. Carlo Lucia started Creation/L+S after he sold Boss to Panda and later to Bill Dumas. Creation/L+S frames are basically Boss frames except they got longer on the top tube.

The black Boss Cruiser frame in this thread looks possibly like a Carlo Lucia welded one. If it is, it could be between 1983 to 1991. The serial number does not tell the year. The dropouts, bottom bracket plates, machined headtube, flat brake bridge, and tubing size remained somewhat constant over the years. I do not have any of the early Boss decals besides those attached to my frames. The black fork looks somewhat rounded at the dropout and it looks more like an Elf one instead of a Boss.

Elf made Boss Cruiser frames had the ringed headtube (like the Elfs, GTs, Robinsons of the late 80s and early 90s), round brake bridge and likely a round tube gussett behind the bottom bracket. The Elf made Boss framesets had the serial number like the Elfs at the time - where the first four numbers would be month/year. I had a 20 inch version of this frame and it had the block lettering decals.

The early to mid 90s (third era) Boss were welded in Livermore. The Cruiser frame had the Patterson style dropouts and geometry was similar to the Patterson as Brent Patterson (minority partner in Boss) used his cruiser as the model. The downtube and top tube diameters got bigger; and top tube maybe longer about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Boss stopped production in late 1990s. They actually welded some other products besides their own, such as Dirtwerks and possibly SM Challengers.

There may be Boss Bars with a shorter rise and the third bar in the center. They may be standard or expert sized bars as opposed to cruiser bars especially if the diameter of these tubes are smaller than the regular cruiser and regular pro sized bars.

As for the extra gusset up front by the headtube, Carlo Lucia would provide this for an extra charge and he would also have it on his team riders' frames. They could have been done anytime in the 1980s.

There are Boss Pro Racer 20 inch frames made in Taiwan that had these extra gussets. These frames have the welded on cable guides and a long serial number starting with a "T" on the dropout.

DCBMX1 I think on hear Rob and on Ebay.

Here is a Panda Loop 24 I have the brake bridge and chainstay /BB gusset look like a Boss.

Some of the Patterson's were also MFG'd by them(Panda/Boss).

DSC01595.jpg

Lot's of different stories on the company history. Darren seems to really be up on the Boss and L&S stuff he probably knows the real story.

Carlo Lucia welded the early Pattersons and Panda Pro Ams in addition to the Boss. There are similarities in the frames.

The red Panda Pro Am Cruiser in the photo was made overseas. Panda was one of the first companies to utilize overseas manufacturing.

Carlo Lucia was at the Roseville Old School BMX gathering the past two years. He does not have any of the Boss decals as I have asked him several times.

darren,

when you get your book published on nor cal bmx manufacturing... i'll be buying it promptly :biggrin:

Hey Darren thanks for all the info. Looks like I came to the right place for answers. If anyone has any leads on any Boss decals please drop me a PM.

Rob

Oh yeah and if anyone has any early Boss stuff Id love to see pics, especially of the 1st gen decals.

bumping for Trevor, won't answer all your questions, but none the less, note the Darren Chan Boss history post. :cheers:

This sticker help at all?

bike parts (111).JPG

That Boss decal is later. I have some prior to that already stuck on my old bike from BITD.

But I seem to remember, the stickers I restickered with, were different than the original ones. I could be wrong.

I found these pics in an old file, without taking new ones.

This bike is BOSS serial B0008.

It has since had a citric acid bath, and looks much better, but not built up or anything.

The headtube decal has the BOSS phone number on it.

Boss Comp II 002.jpg

Boss Comp II 003.jpg

Boss Comp II 008.jpg

bmx5.jpg

The first BMX frames that Carlo at Boss Frames ever made were the Panda Elite frames with the double top tubes that wrapped around seat post and looped down to the rear wheel gussets and into the crank housing, which were designed by David Busby (1975 NBA #1 NorCal) in late 1976.  David Busby met Carlo in when David started racing flat track in District 36 (Northern  California). In early 1976 David bought a 360cc Yamaha in a Boss frame from Carlo.  Then, David raced a 250cc Boss frame flat tracker in his first year in AMA pro series.

David designed two versions of the Panda Elite frame.  One was standard geometry, similar to the Redline frames of the time and the second had the headset about 2" longer than the standard geometry.

• Like 1

Then, David designed the Panda Pro in early 1977, which he raced in his last BMX race at the NBA Nationals at Escape Country around April of 1977.

• Like 1

Hmm..good info.  What's your relationship to Dave.  Great racer.

• Like 1