Sign in to follow this  
ronoc101

WTF! Ok Now Im Over It....done With The JADs....

OK so I forgot the guys name on here that ended up buying JADs inventory but his Ebay name is "cinandthetwins" same guy with the cool red JAD at rockford, and the JAD MTB... I just saw his Ebay auction for a JAD Sherman.... so now he is taking the old tubing that he got from Mike JAD and started assembling his own JAD bikes, changing the geomerty around and still calling it a JAD Sherman. Now, I know he bought the rights to the name, and all of his remaining inventory, but WHO THE F**K is he to start building bikes that there are less than 200 of each frame made...ESPECIALLY the Sherman, which is the hardest to find next to the 26" frames...

Ive spent a few years trying to dig these frames and parts up just to try and aquire an awesome JAD collection, knowing that there are only 200 or less of each of these frames made...multiple conversations and emails with Mike JAD just trying to figure out the history of the comany, and now hes just gonna start repopping frames...

Dont get me wrong, i think its cool that he was able to get JADs inventory. Mike had offered it to me at one time, but i guess i missed out...I tell you what though. I would have never thought about assembling JAD bikes on my own and calling them the same, owning the rights or not...

Also, did anyone ever wonder where Heath Mahaffey was getting all of this "NOS look what i found in a box" JAD stuff, or the NOS teal annodized JAD stem (they never made that color), etc.... I only know of one person that acquired a large lot of JAD gear, and once Mike told me that he had sold it to this guy, someone with a JAD that wanted to sell it told me that Heath had contacted him with a story of his buddy buying all of the JAD stuff and that he had gotten a bunch of it....hmmmm

WATCH OUT EVERYONE

Yeah you beat me to the punch on this one. I saw that auction and the biggest thing that caught my attention was the fact he was welding them up himself. I agree definitely a potentially disasterous situation to Jad collectors. At the very least I hope this guy is marking the frames to designate them as post Jad Production frames or something.

There was an auction a few months ago for a lot of JAD parts with around a 2000.00 bin that Heath won. You guys see that one? I think it was cranks and hubs and other small parts.

I don't see a problem with it since he clearly states that he did the work himself and clearly states that in the auction...I wasn't a part of the community when Supercross re-made the quad, but I bet there wasn't this much of a stink about it...or how about Kappa re-making bikes...The problem comes in when people buy the frames and then when the re-sell them "forget" to let the people that they're selling them to that they are not legit JAD frames...after they change hands a few times they are attempted to be passed off as Mike JAD built frames...it's his stuff, he owns it, and he owns the JAD name...I think it's cool that he's making the bikes out of the old school tubing, BUT maybe he needs to make his mark on these new frames - i.e. putting serials on them designating that they aren't legit JAD's that were build back in the day...

there was alot of controversy when supercross and kappa started...it was a huge deal,not sure if those threads still live on os bmx

maybe he needs to mark them??? your kidding right????? he needs to mark them,never ridden a jad or used any of the parts. the community needs them marked some kind of way

I don't see a problem with it since he clearly states that he did the work himself and clearly states that in the auction...I wasn't a part of the community when Supercross re-made the quad, but I bet there wasn't this much of a stink about it...or how about Kappa re-making bikes...The problem comes in when people buy the frames and then when the re-sell them "forget" to let the people that they're selling them to that they are not legit JAD frames...after they change hands a few times they are attempted to be passed off as Mike JAD built frames...it's his stuff, he owns it, and he owns the JAD name...I think it's cool that he's making the bikes out of the old school tubing, BUT maybe he needs to make his mark on these new frames - i.e. putting serials on them designating that they aren't legit JAD's that were build back in the day...

It isn't on the same level as Kappa or supercross, they are clearly retro bikes. This is taking existing Jad tubing and welding it up on Jad jigs and calling it a Jad. The possibilites of this shit getting in the market and passed off as a OG Jad is very likely. This is a serious bummer. For real no maybe's about marking them, I think he has an obilgation to do so. It would be one thing for Jad to build them as old stock, it's another when another party who has no rights to the JAD name is building it (assuming he doesn't and if he did it still isn't the same). I don't care if it is Jad tubing, it is only a JAD if Jad builds it IMO.

I forsaw this months ago, and to think people had the nerve to question me on parting out this beauty!

100_1332.jpg

It was all real Jad parts. I only have the bars left and they are on evil-bay. I can only hope to get a fraction of what I have into them...........................

What a situation.

This is similar to issues being tossed around in Trackside in that "benefits of reproing, as if" thread.

Very similar scenarios have been raised there.

Hex... what do you mean? You got out of the Jad arena because you saw trouble on the horizon?

It would be one thing for Jad to build them as old stock, it's another when another party who has no rights to the JAD name is building it (assuming he doesn't and if he did it still isn't the same). I don't care if it is Jad tubing, it is only a JAD if Jad builds it IMO.

yes yes and yes.

apparently he bought the jad name so he has the 'right', but i still dont agree.

mike, i did see your reply where you say he built a frame for himself w/ no intention of letting it into the market. now it is going into the market. the question is if more frames are built, will they be marked b/c they WILL eventually enter the market.

remaining stock is a cool thing to have i suppose... it just opens the door for trouble the way i see it.

raising the bb on the frame for clearance? i dunno how an original rides, or wut the jad standard bb height is... but i'd have to guess raising it an inch would make it ride like shit. maybe thats why hes selling it.

jads are an acquired taste..

27e4_1.JPG

raising the bb, i think he screwed it up.

Edited by cw

Hex... what do you mean? You got out of the Jad arena because you saw trouble on the horizon?

Yea, I took as many pics as I could and parted my ways it. Of course I miss her though...............

i did see your reply where you say he built a frame for himself w/ no intention of letting it into the market. now it is going into the market.

It never fails. I do realize that he is forthcoming with the facts... but what about the next guy?

actually, i should say thats an assumption on mikes part based on wut the seller says in the listing.

just like its an assumption on my part that he bought the name & the remaining stock to build frames and sell them for profit.

You said you don't see a prob since he is upfront in the auction about what he is doing, and then you go on to say the prob comes in when it changes hands and people "forget" to let people know it's not a legit JAD frame...

That's one point for sure, but the biggest point is being missed here.. When they were originally made, there was a limited run of 200 or less of each style frame (if I'm reading conor correctly). Now suddenly in the year 2008 there are more than 200 of the "Sherman", even though some have the geometry monkeyed with and suspect welding.

This is what I was referring to in that other thread by the repop crowd affects the value of the legitimate collector. It's like this guy went into Conor's garage and keyed the paintjob on his JAD's while he was asleep. Now they are not worth as much.

This is another reason survivor bikes are becoming more and more sought after. It probably won't be long though before some clown starts jigging up some JMC 24's and adding patina to a new paint job to make it look old, nicking up the stickers a little bit and selling it as a $3000 survivor.

(I hope Heath's not reading this)

well in my opinion i think its great hes making them say what you want but hell for the first chance i have a good shot at getting one i mean who cares there jads no matter who makes them or who welded them i mean hell how many bike companys changed welders probably all of them just about the valve never went down just cause someone else welded them and its not gonna hurt the fing value cause the buyer pays what he wants to pay there is not blue book for freakin bikes. so what if there 201 bikes just means one more happy jad buyer. i say grow up and quit crying theres nothing you can do about it but go sit in your cornwer and cry your not gonna stop him. go ahead and cuss me out and make your self a bigger man

This thread is good on many levels. It really paints a picture of the state of the hobby. I am a Purist with an exception towards repop decals and even then they are a last resort ( so maybe a semi-purist whatever). Then there are those who think this is totally acceptable, to each his own. I will never buy a Jad or Jad components from anyone unless I know that they are in line with my thinking. Because now, in my eyes, the market is tainted on Jads. I am sure this isn't the last time this sort of thing will pop up.

well in my opinion i think its great hes making them say what you want but hell for the first chance i have a good shot at getting one i mean who cares there jads no matter who makes them or who welded them i mean hell how many bike companys changed welders probably all of them just about the valve never went down just cause someone else welded them and its not gonna hurt the fing value cause the buyer pays what he wants to pay there is not blue book for freakin bikes. so what if there 201 bikes just means one more happy jad buyer. i say grow up and quit crying theres nothing you can do about it but go sit in your cornwer and cry your not gonna stop him. go ahead and cuss me out and make your self a bigger man

No one is crying, and no one "needs to grow up", we're just discussing the state of the hobby. Not sure why you are getting so animated over it. Also, please note: no one is cussing you out.

You are entitled to your opinion and that's what these forums are for. Discussing bikes, parts, memories, etc..

While we're on the subject, let me ask you something.. I'm not sure what your biggest hobby is, many people have several hobbies. Since your screen name is honda1wheel, let me pretend your biggest passion is for honda motorcycles, and last year you paid double what it should cost for a new motorcycle because it was a limited run of only 100 bikes. Normally these types of bikes would cost around $25,000 but you got on the list for a raffle for a chance to buy one of these 100 bikes. You are one of the 100 winners who now has the privilege to be able to buy one of them for $50,000.

5 years goes by and yours is still sitting untouched in your garage, vacuum sealed in plastic etc.. etc...

Now you find out they are mass-producing this same exact bike that was supposed to be 1 of 100. Now they only cost $12,000 to buy. Tens of thousands of them are sold now, in fact, your buddy just bought the same exact bike you have for only $12,000.

You're disgusted now and try to sell your bike for half of what you have invested: $25,000. No takers..

Why would they pay $25k when they can just get one off of e-bay for $12k?

I guess it won't bother you until something affects you personally.

I might be wasting my time coming up with analogies.

yea maybe i was a little harsh lol sorry but people selling of there jads because of this upsets me bikes are sweet and who cares who made them buy them ride them sale them the circle of life ride hard no hard feelings

i see your point on it but the way i look at it in my eyes i dont buy a bike because there is 200 made i buy a bike because i think it looks good and rides good i wouldnt care if ruest came back and started makeing bikes again sure my value would go down on my bikes but its my bike it doesnt make it any less of value to me its mine and if i cant sell it for what i want for it then i wont. i see both sides here but jads are sweet bikes and more people want them for me not having a jad and wanting one it works out good for me cause i have a chance intstead of looking at your collection and messaging you and asking if you want to sell it and you know there are none for sale and saying yea i want 2000 for it. i have that chance now but i wont buy it cause its not the same as the eal jad but damn close lollol.

It's interesting how people look at this issue.

See to me, Honda1wheel, you say you like Jads and now can have one... I just think that if you buy one of these recently fab'd frames... you still don't own a Jad. You bought something else. It resembles a JAD, but it ain't a Jad.

I guess you maybe do agree with that after all, based on the last sentence above, so what exactly is your point? :lol:

didn't this happen with the Skyway T/A a few years ago? A bunch of tubes were found and they started popping up on eBay every week.

oh i would still rock one of the ones his building but yea would like to have a older one. i wouldnt care which way as long as it held together lol im not a picky guy but theres no way i could afford a older one so its good for the people that a family and stuff to pay for cause we can afford the ones coming out. i mean if he is saying the truth about talking to the guy from jad and hes cool with it than why not.

just so im clear...im not worried about my bikes going down in value. I never bought them for what they are worth. ive loved JADs since the first time I saw them. and back then I had no clue how many were made or if they would be collectible. I just wanted them for what they are. after talking to Mike JAD, I learned that there was a small run of each frame size and style made, which made hunting for them all the more fun for me. trying to dig for these funny looking bikes that most people have never heard of, and if they owned one, they did because they felt like I did about them and thought they fuckin rocked. Im just upset to see the bikes that ive hunted for be bastardized and built up under the same name by someone who lucked out and happened to buy out the company name and stock....thats it...

conor, i've got the same feeling about jad as you do. The wife has been urging me to unload some of my jad collection and now i don't feel like having to deal with authenticating my jad stuff built by Mike D. & company in the late 90's from some stuff assembled by a guy in Iowa over christmas break. I like you love all the Jad designs and want to hold on to each piece for myself. If i have my druthers, i'll be able to keep from selling any more while also keeping the wife from getting pissed