Sign in to follow this  
ronoc101

WTF! Ok Now Im Over It....done With The JADs....

Uh oh, now he's taking JAD's and stickering them as Dyno's !!

0101090102080104012007123163fe5ebf16835f19d0003a03.jpg

:lol:

Uh oh, now he's taking JAD's and stickering them as Dyno's !!

0101090102080104012007123163fe5ebf16835f19d0003a03.jpg

:lol:

:ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:

wait till you see shadeseans JAD PIT....made from the leftovers :doh:

leftovers :Scrutiny: still don't know how its going to turn out yet...

P.S..... "I QUIT COLD TURKEY"

Leftovers.jpg

Marked properly to its generation I have no issues with company product comebacks. Sometimes brand awareness is the best marketing tool and just might make your mono nut crackers worth even more.

Just so we are all clear since this is in mid school, if we use the guidelines and analogys that have been presented here, mid school Robinsons and Powerlites are repo's.

Marked properly to its generation I have no issues with company product comebacks. Sometimes brand awareness is the best marketing tool and just might make your mono nut crackers worth even more.

Just so we are all clear since this is in mid school, if we use the guidelines and analogys that have been presented here, mid school Robinsons and Powerlites are repo's.

How so? They never ceased operations nor were they resurrected 10 years after the fact with a different owner.

Gary Turner / GT Bicycles was not the original owner of either and there was not an immediate production. Is timeline the concern? Seems like more are arguing that if the original owner did not mfg. it, it is a repop. Also think it is a bit hypocritical that one of the arguing participants here said they had the opportunity at one point to buy the company, but could not financially swing it, how is that any different?

I get where all you are coming from I really do and anyone that knows me knows I am an OG survivor guy first and foremost. I maintain my position that I could careless if they are dead nuts accurate to their predecessor as long as they are I.D.'d properly I have no issues with it. He bought it from the originator and that is the best case scenario. It is not like he purchased a few frames and decided to do "tribute" builds like others.

It is at this moment where some of you that wear the elitist shield take the responsibility of knowing what was made and how many. Weld widths, tube lengths, geometric specifications just to name a few. A welders weld is like a signature, document what you know extensively if you are that worried. A ture "elitist" will know what is generation correct and what is not.

Also want to make a comment that someone stated BMX is dying or not what it was. It will never be like it was as there are too many options for kids compared to 75-85. Cartoons, GI Joe, ice cream shops, going to the lake, etc. are not like they use to be either. However, BMX is as family as it ever was! A statement saying it is not is ignorance from not going to the races today. BMX racing is actually doing quite well at the moment and I maintain the Olympics are not going to make it like it was. All the Olympics are going to do is create more awareness and bring some new/old people to the sport. Track designs, product enhancements, product designs have drastically changed that is no secret but it has been an evolution to keep up with other bicycle disciplines technology wise. Nascar no longer runs the Daytona 500 on the beach, yet it has one of the highest viewer ratings every year.

I totally disagree with your assesment. As far as Conor wanting to purchase the remaining stock, I believe he was only after it for the sake of owning it.

I totally disagree with your assesment.

I have no issues with that either.

ya, youre right spur, i just wanted it to have it. hell, i would have made some JAD toilet paper holders...wait...i cant weld...maybe i could make a JB Weld bike or somethin...probably would have sold some of it, because from what i saw it was a shit ton of stock, but whatever.

im over it. warren sounds legit. his pit bikes are fuckin cool. if he says he wont make anymore of the frames that were already made. then he's cool in my book. i kinda got heated right off the bat because....well you guys know, JADs are my thing, I love these bikes. I just want the name to be respected. if he can make cool shit with the tubes go for it. eliptical tube JAD sidehack would be funny...or a JAD tandem..one big looooong tube

if he can make cool shit with the tubes go for it. eliptical tube JAD sidehack would be funny...or a JAD tandem..one big looooong tube

All of which are fuggin genius ideas :ThumbsUp:

A Jad hack would be sooooo dope!

I think I disagree with your characterization of the issue as well, Matt. Regarding the point about "guidelines and analogies presented here" being "elitist shields"... that's funny. You're taking this devil's advocate thing pretty far with some of this.

I can see how there are some very broad similarities (rights to a brand have been exchanged) and I can see how some might argue that the views and standards espoused on the current JAD situation could be projected back in time in an examination of the old mid-school era Powerlite/Robinson transaction... it seems to me there may be significant differences. Anyway, I really don't know the first thing about the GT/Robinson/Powerlite deal, so I can't analyze it deeply, comparing and contrasting.

But from a casual outsider's point of view, and granted that might be inadequate, a corporate takeover is not exactly the same thing as buying out dead stock from a company whose doors have been shut for a decade or more. (Also...just curious was GT already making the stuff for Robby & PL even before the buy out? I know they were mfg'ing gear for a lot of companies in those days, so just wondering?)

But... these are nuances and distinctions that are too subtle for some, and indeed perhaps it is all just so subjective that we have to concede that to some degree these are just different points of view and not right or wrong points of view where the larger and more abstract questions of brand identity and value are concerned.

The bottom line is... and you mention it, so this is something we do all agree on -- all issues are immediately laid to rest if there are CLEAR DISTINCTIONS in design or if the new products are fairly exact copies of the old designs... THEY SHOULD BE CLEARLY AND INDELIBLY MARKED in a way that is visible at all times even when assembled.

To assert that those members of the collecting public, that seek only original items, need to be so skilled in their ability to discern that they might require specialized professional calibration tools to measure thicknesses and subtle angles, distinguishing milimeter differences in weld widths etc. is impractical to the extreme. Elitists? Really? More like "realists", perhaps. Anyway... charging people with such a label meant to disparage and belittle their standards as unreasonable is often the path of apologists who rationalize deception. I would go so far as to argue that it is in fact THAT point of view which is elitist. It basically says that "you are not even qualified to love this old stuff, that you claim to have such a soft spot for, because you are so dull and unaware that you can't even distinguish the differences in inner tube diameter and gaping 1 mm differences in weld widths or identify a particular welder's bead from a line up of others specifically meant to emulate it". I mean come on... who does that?

If simply expecting the courtesy of basic integrity (i.e. don't intentionally make something that might mislead me and my fellows) and embracing one of the core motivations among collectors - admiration for a specific era's produce and not wanting to be taken by unmarked copies is elitist.. then color me "elite".

So... this illustrates that even normally reasonable people (snicker) .... just kidding... This illustrates that maybe some aspects of the issue will never be matters of real consensus, but maybe the point that we could all agree on is that if current production items are more or less dead ringers for the old production items, then they should be distinguished by a permanent mark. I think we could all live with that and be happy.

The other issue is more a discussion about subjective motivation. What drives us to seek and attribute value to old items.

Also... I would also just like to add that this is just discussion and not meant to charge the current owner of the JAD stock and name with any wrong doing or even wrong intent.

The elitist shield remark was directed to a posting member that classified themselves as such to me a while back and it was a blind jab to that remark.

There are so many arguable sides to your post Steve, in fact I do not think I have ever disagreed with a post here more than yours right now.

The issue really is that the majority look at this from a collecting side. I realize the main purpose of this site is "Old School BMX", but here is a clear cut case of what happens when the products of the "sport" of BMX and the "historical collecting" paths cross/collide. I live my life by the standards that to know where you are going you need to remember where you have been. The sport of BMX has proven this over and over. The roots, the history have kept the sport going, therefore previous branding is sought out and will continue to be done.

Who is really to blame? The whole point of this thread was to crucify in the original post. Some sheep jumped on board and started a witch hunt, all for the passion for the brand. Is the original owner to blame for selling off the remains? Should he be crucified for not having respect for the "collecting community"? By calling me the "devils advocate" you are implying that Warren is the devil? Is Warren to blame for purchasing the brand rights and remains with an intent to keep a brand that he has a passion for alive without disrupting its history, but building upon it?

It is funny Steve you are right. It is funny that in the first post it was all about the heritage of mid school Jad and fuck this new endevor and anyone that agrees with it. Now that the real intent is out it is all cool and the thought of new products is wonderful. So now the thread initiator and a couple premium sheeps jump on with some thumbs up? How do you go from hating what is happening to the thought of the possibility of having a new hack to strap onto your midschool Jad? Look at the original post, read the replies and watch how the topic changes from beginning to end.

The sport of BMX is still happening whether "collectors" like it or not. Brands, rights and inventory still exist out there and they are going to be rejuvenated. I stand firm that I like it all old, mid and new. I collect, restore and race and as long as there is not deception within any of it then I am good with all of it.

Hmm.

I think there is a fair bit of misinterpretation happening here - both with regard to tone and meaning.

Probably some of it by me, though I think it is safe to say some of the late comments that you cite and seem to be taking at face value were meant tongue in cheek... viz. the hack, tandem etc.

The devil's advocate comment was in reference to taking a situation like the conglomeration of gt, powerlite, robinson and arguing that powerlite and robinson were then somehow repops... so "devil's advocate", here as in most cases, insinuates that this point could be argued even if many would not see the situation quite the same, and even if there are some very broad parallels.

It seems you may be taking it somewhat personally... it was not meant as such.

My comments about the hack were basically this, if you are gonna do something with that old stuff might as well make into a something that didn't exist in the first place.

I really don't give two shits nor a fuck about this stuff. From what I have read the guy is straight up and has no intents about screwing folks over. The witch hunt never happened, most folks were stating that the new stuff he is building taints the the old if it isn't marked. I still feel this way.

I am elitist/purist whatever with this stuff, I make no bones about it. I just do not have any interest in a 2008 version of a 1994 Jad. No problems with the pits and the hack or Tandem because they never existed anyway (the same thing as Norcal's 26 team goose or the pit goose hack). No one would confuse that stuff with the old.

As far as the sheep comment, I honestly thought of myself more of a sheperd, but to each his own opinion.

Baaaah

I'm a special kind of sheep.

wolf.jpg

my what lovely oem tubing you have, my pretty....

:flower:

well i read alot of this, cant remember half now that im through it all.. i personally think Warren should stamp the dropouts with his mark and the year he welded them. i dont think these bikes will affect authentic Jad at all.. the newly made ones would obviously sell for less, and the people buying them probally dont wanna spent the lut for the real one.. the guys wanting real ones are gonna still be willing to pay big bucks.. just my 2 cents...

i have a few questions about Jad. i recently aquired one from Heath, someone els mentioned him above.. im sure your will be happy to hear it was free and i will be heeping it so dont ask to buy it... as some of you know the hubs are on ebay cause you are bidding on them. i suppose they came from that big box someone said Heath bought on ebay..

i have also contacted Warren about my frame he said he sold it to Heath aswell.. the info i have found out about my frame so far is that its a early 1" headtube, has brake bridge and canti mounts witch you dont see on a jad often, and a spanish BB... also there is JAD 008 engraved in the BB under the paint (see pic. its drawn like that)... someone els i talked to suggested it was a factory team riders frame with specific measurements for that rider and the Jad 008 was so they knew who to give it to after it was made..

seems like anyone who knows anything about Jad has posted here.. tell me what you guys know and please im only interested in info on this bike and other Jad's not Heath bashing.. my frame is authentic as far as i know and i consider myself lucky to own such a bike...

jad1.jpg

jad2.jpg

jad3.jpg

jad4.jpg

jad5.jpg

This work for ya ?

2008_0209_006_.JPG

Baaaah

I'm a special kind of sheep.

wolf.jpg

my what lovely oem tubing you have, my pretty....

:flower:

thats BAAAAAD .... Steve.... should I put a sheep skin seat cover on my JaD pit ?

Caleb... re: your 2 cents.... Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what everyone who is leery of the new production models is saying... clearly distinguish them with a mark that is visible at all times including when assembled and then there is no issue of possible misrepresentation by anyone.

That's all. Doesn't seem too unreasonable?

not unreasoneable at all, Warren said he will not be making another one at all, he has only made 2 frames a 20" and a 16"... i have seen them both.. much like the warning decals says i wont be riding this but i want all the info i can get.. also i should be coming home with a complete Jad sherman in a few hours i will post pics if i get it..

anyone with info on my frame above please help.. Warren says its a ordinary production frame but im not convinced do to the few differances i have not found on any other Jad yet.. Warren said he never owned my frame i was mistaken he did not sell it to Heath..

i got it, this one is a sherman. i will be stripping it and rebuilding with the F/F, stem, bars, crank, hubs, and cable clamps. its gonna be spectaculiar when im done.. i also got another crank and stem im guessin its the teal one someone mentioned above they look slick and the arms are solid on the backs..

s1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
s4.jpg

As on the other forums, I agree with Conor. It just isn't the same. Especially for the collectors like Conor, Caleb and myself.

I don't understand how guys who post on a forum called "OS-bmx" are arguing that there isn't a difference. Not that it really matters.

I have tried contacting Warn/cinandthetwins/Warren a couple of times but to no avail. Once he saw that I wasn't too happy about the new JADs, I guess I got cut off. I am jealous that he is rocking all that JAD inventory. I am happy that I know that the stuff is still out there and not at the dump.

BTW, Conor, that JAD is coming your way soon. Work has gotten the best of me lately and I have found myself slacking off in my free time. Sorry to make you wait.

Caleb, here is a pic of my JAD...
CIMG2058.JPG

you pic isnt up.... i talked to Warren several times.. im wondering what he has left.. he owns the name Jad and the rights to make bikes in actuality we should be glad he has not sold the name to a taiwain company... the pit bike was made by Warren also the pink bike we all saw on ebay with the raised BB.. it would have been nice had Warren put his own mark on the frames.. but im not stressin over it i know both mine are real. there is still deffinately something spesial about my green frame but i havent figured it all out yet..