Sign in to follow this  
todzilla

Bullseye hub help....

When did they use hubs with aluminum axles with flats machined into them. The axle uses a 1/4 capscrew?

Hub has a original oval decal, black seals on the bearings.

I know they used the thru bolt design and the later allen bolt. I never have seen this style.

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

I thought the 90's versions had that with the small allen bolt like that?

Could it possibly be set up for a quick release? :Idunno:

that's a road/MTB axle for a quick-release, but they were also threaded in case you wanted to bolt the wheel on. they used that design from Day 1, i'm pretty sure. they did have an aluminum BMX axle, too. it was a little different, though. the ends were flush to the spacers and used a step-washer to fit it to the dropouts. those were available at least by the late '80s as an option (you could request those, steel allen or thru-bolt style).

nice hubs.

if you wanted to use them on a bmx bike i'm sure you could find the hardware to do so.

i like the round decals :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Thanks for identifying the hub.

I like the oval decals more than the current style.

I have installed it on a fork with the existing hardware...I wanted to see if it would work.

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

When did they use hubs with aluminum axles with flats machined into them. The axle uses a 1/4 capscrew?

Hub has a original oval decal, black seals on the bearings.

I know they used the thru bolt design and the later allen bolt. I never have seen this style.

Those are road bike axles. They are designed for a quick release sqewer(sp). They are interchangable with BMX axles.

In '77-'78 I recieved a set of BMX and road axles when Everything bicycles (Howie Cohen) started to market them for Rodger Durham. I had a set on my BMX bike and on my road bike. I still have them.

In the beginning they only offered the road axle that you have and the through bolt. The individual allen bolts were later...

The first hub decals were letters only (bullseye), they were applied to the center of the hub in a candycane or barber pole fashion because the decal was too long to fit straight across. We use to remove the decal and replace it with a JMC shop decal.

Adam