Sign in to follow this  
Alvin Mullins

OS-BMX 40 and over freestyle club

Hey Alvin nice to see you back yea Brian is RAD

Ricardo cheerstoast.gif

Awesome to see you posting Alvin.

Been missing your pics. :)

LOVE the Subrosa rider.

Thanks for posting up Blyther pics too. :)

This was taken on the Rad Reunion weekend here in Calgary. It was about 1:00 AM, we had the whole park to ourselves.

tableaug2011.jpg

36_2_25[1].gif extremely rad

Not quite as high as I'd like, but it was the end of a long and awesome weekend!

fullpipeaug2011.jpg

Not quite as high as I'd like, but it was the end of a long and awesome weekend!

Nice! Where is that full pipe?

winter bump

How To ride Dirt Jumps when you Suck from PlusSizeBMX on Vimeo.

I posted that vid in it's own thread a few days ago, but it's good to have it on file in here as well.

Some pictures from Sunday at Fontana skatepark 1/22/2012

Ben Snowden and Ricky Moseley

Fontanaskatepark042-2.jpghttp://s203.photobuc...!cpZZ3QQtppZZ16

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/c21alvin/Fontana%20Skatepark/Fontanaskatepark042-2.jpg

Nice. More people need to try and get photos like that with more than one rider.

Another one from last August. Not much air, but still a cool shot. I look like Eraserhead or something...

tableAugust2011.jpg

its not me.. some old RAD dude at the beach.

Is that In cologne under zoobruecke.? I miss cologne:(

Yes that is under the Zoobrücke right on the Rhein river in front of the Kölner Jugendpark.

Just turned 48 and still studying hard the art of freestyle bmx.

Here's me, all new school, 4 pegs and no brakes. Got lots of plans for this year. All the hard work and repetition is paying off with some flow. Last year I was too afraid even to climb up on that jump box. Too chicken and all the little kids give me the chicken wings and sing "bawk bawk bawk" whenever I ride ....

way to go, it's good to ride.

kids can go balls out because there aren't any financial repercussions for them when they get hurt. For us... it's not only the medical cost potential, but also the way being injured could effect our ability to do our jobs.

It's hard to over look that stuff... it hangs over a guy

None the less, awesome to see you getting out there.

Curious on your brakeless thoughts. I think brakeless is cool. But I also like the security of brakes. :Idunno:

Nice work. It's not only the financial stuff, we take a lot longer to heal as well. Months compared to weeks for the youngsters.

Picked up my bike this week after not having it for 13 months so might need to add some stuff later.

way to go, it's good to ride.

kids can go balls out because there aren't any financial repercussions for them when they get hurt. For us... it's not only the medical cost potential, but also the way being injured could effect our ability to do our jobs.

It's hard to over look that stuff... it hangs over a guy

None the less, awesome to see you getting out there.

Curious on your brakeless thoughts. I think brakeless is cool. But I also like the security of brakes. :Idunno:

Thanks man! Yes, riding brakeless was the key that opened up the door to riding for me.

For everyone it is different but I can tell you how it was for me. When I rode with brakes I had no flow. I rode very jerky. I had no concept of how fast I was going or what that meant to my riding. If I rode too fast and got into a jam, then I just pulled the brakes. This either saved me or in some cases ended badly because I was just going too fast and sometimes not even your brakes can save you.

At first I took of my brakes as a joke, just to piss off all my oldschool friends who are in my age group. I just rode my bike on the street and stuff, around town. But then I noticed how nice it was and how my approach to just riding changed. Then I started to ride my brakeless bike at the all the bmx parks I go to. It was scary at first but then it really grew on me.

I found that when I ride brakeless, I am forced to ride within my limits and because I have no brakes, I am 100% of the time conscious and aware of so many things around me. First I am constantly thinking about my speed and second I am very aware of my ability and third of my surroundings (ramps, other riders).

Having no brakes has forced me and taught me to ride with flow. By having flow you ride at the appropriate speed and the chance of a crash is less (for me). Also, you *do* have brakes. I use my legs as shock absorbers. At first when I started going into the wallride I "sucked up" my speed my making my legs limp and then they would absorb the ramp and swallow it so to speak and I would not go very high. I kept riding it and riding it and now instead of sucking up the speed, I use my legs to pump up the ramp which has the opposite effect and pushes me higher up the ramp.

When you ride with brakes you have the false security that you can just pull the brake and that will save you, but I think this is false security. When you have no brakes you try things out a little at a time, slowly building up your ability instead of just "going for it" and hoping for the best.

When I practice new tricks I first try to see how it is to have to get off the bike. You have to know how to get off the bike when you are in a jam to avoid a crash. That is all part of having flow. Where I ride the kiddies rarely crash. But they get off their bike cleanly when they don't manage a trick.

And of course brakeless riders, when they *know* they will bail, they stick their foot between their back tire and frame. I do this very seldom.

As for getting hurt, I always wear a helmet, knee and shin pads and an elbow pad on my left elbow. (I fall 90% of the time on my left side). I also worry about an injury and this keeps me from really going for it. But the more I ride, the better I get and I don't want to force it because that ends up in a crash. So I let it come to me, the flow way.

Sorry this was so long, hopefully you are still awake :-)