Sign in to follow this  
gtowndan

Gary Ellis 2008?

its my belief that the "lumberjack" could medal at the summer games if he was to race. I know he retired 10 years ago , and said when he is done he's done. Top pick for greatest racer ever!

Maybe in the vet pro, but man there are a lot younger legs than his in that class these days. Rupe still does very well in that class. He was the man to beat in the early to mid 90's for sure.

no one saying he wouldn't crush the vet class, his talent stands above the younger muscle, without clips. clips are for kooks

Okay I really love Gary Ellis as one of the best..but......... There is alot of new blood out there. And with all respect to gary, he might have some trouble. But i would be rooting for him.

LUMBERJACK is still one of my favories.

isn't he selling alarm systems or something nowdays up in washington? i heard he has no interest what so ever to race bmx again.

if he is selling alarms, he got to be the worlds fastest alarm sellsman! Wonder if the US Olympic commity ask him to be a Part of the team, coach or adviser ? I read mike king was in charge , and greg romero was coach . Any truth to that?

It would be interesting to see how the top guys from back in the day would do in the pro class Gary Ellis,Pete Loncaravich etc.

It would be interesting to see how the top guys from back in the day would do in the pro class Gary Ellis,Pete Loncaravich etc.

If they were brought up in the same environment as the top guys today they would still be at the top.

But,

Take a time machine, go back to their primes, grab them and put them on a gate today and they wouldn't win the top amateur classes. A mindset is brought in with each generation that the baseline is the top guys they stive to be on their way up, they take that and build from there. And so on.

The extreme class of the field can usually elevate themselves a generation or two, guys like Tony Hawk, Jeremy McGrath/Ricky Carmichael, Terje Haakenson, Dennis McCoy/Dave Mirra/Matt Hoffman.

BMX racing has evolved a little slower and I can't really think of anyone but maybe Eric Rupe that has really transended a huge change although I think his has been at a notch down from the top of the heap.

The AAs today are so much more polished and flawless than even the guys in the late 90s early 00s. Anyone who thinks they aren't are just kidding themselves.

I am old school all the way....and Gary was great....but...The current AA's would smoke the old guys even in their best form. The sport has progressed and speed and skills are better than ever!

Its the same way at the skatepark. There are 15-16 kids pulling stuff that we never dreamed of bitd. Look at Flatland also. It is insane. RL Osborne wouldn't have a chance.

The AAs today are so much more polished and flawless than even the guys in the late 90s early 00s. Anyone who thinks they aren't are just kidding themselves.

Randy,

You are exactly right. Today's pros make it look so smooth and easy... all you have to do is witness the destruction when something goes wrong to realize how much is at stake... the margin for error between a mid-80s track with 3' speed jumps and a 2008 track with 30' doubles 6' tall is quite a remarkable difference...

The pros have always had mad skills... and yesterday's pros would have ridden todays tracks no problem... but I think some of the top pros might have been different... some power only riders might have taken a back seat to some of the more skilled jumpers... or maybe the power riders would have learned the necessary skills to stay on top... it's an interesting topic, but one we'll never really know the answer to... :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

I do know this: BMX is a young man's sport... sure, there are men in every sport that excel after 35 (Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan, Freckles Brown, Brett Favre, etc.) but they are the exceptions (like Eric Rupe) and mother nature conspires to put an end to the explosive power, speed and risk-taking behaviors necessary to win consistently at the highest levels of any sport through injuries, declining fitness and mental fatigue...

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

:ThumbsUp: It's ALWAYS been 'virtually impossible' to compare sports legends from one

era to another 'accurately!' The environments change drastically from one era

to another...skills of the people involved improve...equipment gets better...etc.!

The BMX Pros-from all eras-have ALWAYS had 'far superior' skills to other

BMX'ers...that's WHY they are Pros! I don't ever recall watching ANY Pro race

when I wasn't amazed by the way they ALL rode-regardless of which one of the

Pros won the race! I always thought they were ALL great riders!

I haven't seen a race in years...but I 'can't wait' for the Olympics! I hope we

'win ALL the medals'...but I doubt it! I'm sure the Pros from other countries will

give a good accounting for themselves as well...

One thing I am sure of...EVERY Pro that ever raced-anywhere-will be watching

the Olympic BMX competition...and 'wishing THEY were in the race' representing

their Countries! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

About 8 years ago, Loncarevich raced Vet at Ontario California SO Cal National

and beat Rupe at the top of his game.

Rupe is my bud, but Pete won fair and square.

For the record, they are BOTH in total ass whoopin shape.

Probably the best shape of their lives.

But you have to be in BMX sprint shape to win BMX.