BMXROB

The all Boss BMX thread

hi everyone - i'm new to the forum, and so far i think it's a great one!

i'm returning to bmx by way of restoring some of my gems from when i was a teenager - boss 20" and 24" to be specific.

all that said, here's a question...

is there way to identify the production for frame-sets? the 20" and 24" look identical (flat brake bridges, etc.) just different sizes, which makes me think they are from the same year - i bought the 20" new from hank & frank bicycles in 1984 (or maybe 1983), as for the 24" i just picked that one up from a guy in tucson a couple of weeks ago.

i guess what i'm asking is if there's a quick and easy way to identify generation/year from the serial numbers.

any insight would be great.

No unfortunately not. There are a few BOSS disciples that might be able to help you out. Richard Vogt, Darren Chan Drop some knowledge please.

To be mentioned in the same sentence as DC regarding knowledge... I am humbled... unfortunately I only raced 'em and don't know much about the serial number thing... :whistling:

Darren actually knows a lot about them and may be able to shed some light on the serial number issue!

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

P.S. Not to mention that if you need some old Boss parts, Darren probably has 'em lying around somewhere. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

No unfortunately not. There are a few BOSS disciples that might be able to help you out. Richard Vogt, Darren Chan Drop some knowledge please.

To be mentioned in the same sentence as DC regarding knowledge... I am humbled... unfortunately I only raced 'em and don't know much about the serial number thing... :whistling:

Darren actually knows a lot about them and may be able to shed some light on the serial number issue!

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

P.S. Not to mention that if you need some old Boss parts, Darren probably has 'em lying around somewhere. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

thanks for the responses, any additional info would be great. it's great to get back to my bmx roots...

Boss frames did not have any numbers to indicate month/year as with many of the GT frames over the years. Most Boss frames looked similar. The length of the top tube and the diameter of the tubing all over could help decide the year. There were some Boss frames made by Elf or B+E in the late 1980s or early 1990s that had the ringed reinforced headtube and a round brake bridge. The 1990s Boss have the larger diameter tubing and longer top tube.

Early BOSS serial B0008 Panda style dropout, Patterson style low top tube. The down tube stickies, and seat tube stickie were replaced BITD, and not the original ones. The head tube stickie is correct, and even has a phone number on it! This was my race bike, I got it from my sponsor Joe Stam who did ride for Panda, and knew Carlo. The original stickers, were more of a bubble font if I remember right, I restickered it with current ones, when Joe and Bill put me on it.

I also snagged B0022 and it is exactly the same, only not nickle but chrome.

The frame has rust, but there is a lot of dirt on it. I had sprayed with WD and hung in the rafters of the shop. Should have wiped it down for pics.

A.G.

The little hole in the dropout was drilled for the Whale Tail chaintensioners.

october_047.jpg

october_044.jpg

october_042.jpg

Edited by Contender

No, I did not drill the brake bridge, both of my early frames look like that. This frame was far less squirrelly, than the Redline Proline II that I had rode previously. Paired with a set of Redline forks, it handled easily, was very stable, it was easy to go fast on.

The Panda style dropouts, and BOSS serials kinda shoots the Patterson restickered theory in the rear. Pattersons had a different rear dropout more of a square one if I remember right. To me, it just looks like BOSS originally was made out of stock that Carlo had left over from other projects or he just liked the style of them. The fact that the two early frames I have B0008 and B0022 have different finishes nickel and chrome suggests they went to the platers in different batches probably with other makes of frames. The last two sentances are just assumptions on my part, I don't think I ever met Carlo or spoke with him about early BOSS. (Not trying to rewrite history here.)

I just really liked the bike and did a lot of winning on it. There should be some BITD pics of it, search "Atwater".

A.G.

Im really glad I found this site. Used to race a Boss when I lived in the Bay Area (mid to late 90's). I Still have my Boss Shaft and Butthead frame.

I also found a picture of Trevor racing that yellow frame from the pirst page, believe it was the 97 Spring Nationals in Stockton.

0807081313_lg_1_.jpg

1abos1_lg_1_.jpg

1112080906_0001.jpg