Sign in to follow this  
lboorse2

Quick Tech Tips Thread

In an effort to get a thread that lasts more than a few posts here, I thought I'd start a "quick tech tips" thread. This should be just some basic/easy stuff that anyone can use. I'm pretty sure mostly everyone here has assembled at least some part of a bike and has a little tip they can offer. Let's hear it!

I'll start --

Keep a butter knife (or something similar) in the toolbox for quick removal of old grips. Slip the knife between the grip and bars, spray a little WD-40 or something like that in there, wiggle a round for a minute and whooops... grips slide right off. (Don't forget to clean the residue off the bars or the grips if you're re-using them).

cool thread. i crimp an aluminum spoke nipple to the end of my brake cables to keep them from fraying. it looks killer too.

also put a nickle in the end of your grips to keep the bars from poking through.

:ThumbsUp: A handy,cheap little item for the tool box is a 'thread pitch gauge'...

easy to check the pitch of bolts,holes and the like before your 'eye' gets

you in trouble and you're looking at 'stripped holes' in something! The

guage is alot cheaper than buying more expensive taps to re-thread a

a bolt hole! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

rub baby powder on your tubes before install, perhaps a bit inside the tire too. it makes seating the tires much easier.... especially w/ tires that are tough getting on the rim.

To Install a new set of grips, go steal some of your wife's/GF's hair spray. Spray enough to wet the inside of the grip, DON'T spray to much in. They'll slip striaght on the bars, let dry for 10-20 minutes. PPPEEERFECTTTTT ........

rub baby powder on your tubes before install, perhaps a bit inside the tire too. it makes seating the tires much easier.... especially w/ tires that are tough getting on the rim.

Never thought of this one... that's a pretty good tip.

Who's got more like this?

bumpity bump

i forgot to mention this can reduce pinch flats too.

sometimes its a bitch centering tour bars in the stem.... slightly off center knurling always throws me off.

to make sure your bars are centered accurately, mount them in the stem loose enough to still move slightly. take a ruler and place flush across the top of the stem. find an even center mark (i usually use the 4" mark), and center it right in between the stem bolts. compare the riser area on the outside of the 1" and 8" marks.

adjust side to side til theyre both the same while maintaining the center mark. adjust angle and tighten clamp bolts.

dont know if its a good tip, but i would always chuck the rubber rim strips and go around about 4 times w/ electrical tape..

Stopping rust from the inside out.

I do this to all the steel frame bikes I build. When the bike is disassembled, spray the inside of every tube with penitrant oil(I use WD-40).

You should see the stuff that comes out of bikes that have been neglected. :teary:

i used to use the hair spray trick on grips and even have used the automotive spray gasket stuff, but lately have used wd-40 and it works great. light dusting inside the grip, slides on easy and let it dry for about 10 minutes. solid!!

Stopping rust from the inside out.

I do this to all the steel frame bikes I build. When the bike is disassembled, spray the inside of every tube with penitrant oil(I use WD-40).

You should see the stuff that comes out of bikes that have been neglected. :teary:

there was a period where i coated the inside of the seat tube w/ rustoleum on every new cro mo frame i used.

Great tips and great thread! Keep them coming!!!

I always mount my tires so that the recommended tire pressure "tag" is close to the valve stem and you don't have to search it out.

If it's a bike you actually ride, don't forget to lightly sand or file the brake pad surface every so often. This will keep the brakes working nice and also prevent the brake cable from stretching too early by having to pull too hard.

Lift the seat UP, then put the seat back DOWN.

This is one every married guy should know, especially the noobs. Learn this trick and it will save you alot of heartache down the road. :lol:

Edited by jjvh66

if you eliminate the chain's master link like i always have, you may have broken a chain in several places when removing. doing this can sometimes cause a chain to run inconsistently.

lightly score the link plate with a mark where you break the chain. that way you can always find the same spot.

Bumpin' this back up.

What are some of those simple things that we all should know, but might overlook?

Guest BridgeCityBikes

1- grease the pedal threads so the next fool can remove them 20 years from now.

2- Grease your seat post and the inside tube so the next fool can remove the seat post 20 years from now.

3- if your 3 piece cranks are creaky, grease the heck out of all contact surfaces including the backside of the bolt heads.

My grips get no hairspray, or butterknife treatment. If you need grips off, cover the hole on one with thumb, and using a rubber tip air nozzle off the compressor inflate the other grip, via its hole. One grip or the other will inflate like a ballon, or really evenly and float on a cushion of air ready to be slid off. Like an air hocky puck. (If one grip really does blow up like a ballon, use less air, and kinda squeeze the balloned part to get the end of the grip by the lever to pop free of the bars. You want them to look like slightly inflated but even versions of your grips.) Cover the the now clear bar end, and insert nozzle in the last grip, repeat.

Its easier with help, but I have removed and installed many grips, by just sticking one bar end in my groin, and using the air on the other grip.

You can float them off and on, without worrying about a wet hairspray grip shooting off, or waiting for some AM'E grip stick to set up. With this method, I use no lubricants or adhesives at all. Just float it on dry, and the grips grip the bars just fine.

To install, just get a grip started about one half inch, and gently inflate, and slide it on on a cushion of air.

I might suggest getting familiar with this method before you try it on some super rare, expensive, you just can't get them anymore, unobtainum, collector grips etc. This method works really well, and I like it on Powerlite bars, but use it on all of them.

.02 A.G.

i remembered one and had to search this thread out :P

have you ever got a new fork, or gone to switch out a headset and the bottom race is too loose?

or maybe it fits decent enough, but you end up w/ a binding problem?

take some teflon tape and go around the race area, stretching as you go to make it as thin/tight as possible. a few times for a race that fits well but is too loose to stay in place. a few more times for bigger gaps. you can build this diameter up to evenly support the race. use enough so that its a bit tough to get on, like it should be. you can apply it centered or take a knife and cut off the overlap when youre done.

There are a lot of tubes on a bicycle, all of us clean and polish and paint the outside, how many actually clean the insides when we rebuild or what'not?

Use a gun cleaning kit with the brass or copper metal brushes, get one

that has all the gauges in it and extention handles, chainstays, seatstays

forks etc etc......

If you get a small flexie handle, you can feed it through the BB and up any tube,

Lots of air to blow the loose stuff out............

takes a few extra minutes

but you would not beleive the crap you can get out.

Very helpful on the seat mast......

After youve done this, grab a can of spry paint, put a extention

nozzle on it and paint the insides..maybe it helps maybe it does not?

My 2 cents......

I too have a can of hair spray in the garage for grips. It makes them slide on easy and then stick in place when it is dry. I have always worried about using hair spray with alchohol though, I figure it will dry out the rubber.

Oh, and you don't need too much hair spray!

I also use the air trick, I saw it done in a bike shop back in the day. I have several of those basketball inflating needles for my air compressor (think I got a 3-pack for $.99). They stick in the grip hole perfectly and fill the bars with air. You never know which grip will inflate first! I put my hand over the grip opposite the air line to build pressure, not that it takes that much.

To grease bearings put on a pair of rubber gloves and put a decent sized ball of your favorite grease in the palm of one hand. Then hold the bearings in the race in the other and force it into the ball of grease, flipping it over and rotating it several times until the entire thing is saturated with grease.

To remove grips that I don't care to re-use, I have always just cut them off with a box cutter. Just make sure that you CUT AWAY from yourself. Or end up like me with 15 stitches in the heel of my hand. To put new grips on, I just use a bit of water from a spritz bottle and then muscle them on. It has worked well for me so far.