Sign in to follow this  
nfr5111

My Original Race bike- Robinson Cruiser!

Found after 17 years!!

It was 20 years old in 2003!!

I got this frame and fork for XMas 1983. It was ordered from Wakefield Schwinn in Wakefield, MA. I raced it for 3 years, 1984-1986, then sold it in November of 1986 to my high school math teacher for $150.00.

On September 1, 2003 I sent a letter to him inquiring about the bike. He called back on September 13, 2003 and told me it was still in his basement, untouched since about 3 or 4 months after he bought it. He said it was the same as when I sold it to him, just dirty and in need of some love. He was not kidding! On September 16, 2003 I finally got my long lost Robinson back for $75.00.

When I got to his house, I was amazed to find the bike almost exactly as I had sold it- right down to my racing number plate still on the bike!

It does need some work after sitting for so long. The tires were replaced, with new school ones. Resto is coming soon. I just scored some original Robinson cruiser bars for it, but am torn as to whether I am going to put them on or not.

Almost all the parts are still 100% original= Robinson frame and fork, Hutch blue Pro Neck, GT Cruiser bars, Redline 175mm 401's with redline sprocket 41T, Viscount seat, Suntour XC Pedals, DiaCompe MX1000 brake/lever, Front wheel is an SR sealed hub with silver Araya rim, rear is a Suzue sealed hub with Araya rim, GT seatpost, and even the original A'ME grips, and Zeronine plate.

The original Cal Lite pads were shot, and the tires were replaced. Thats all!

rob10_16.jpg

The feel of that ride when you hop on must be second to none. I can only imagine what it would be like to ride my rides again. Good work hunting it down. :smthup:

Way cool story! It doesn't matter so much what you rode, but to able to have it now seems to provide a timewarp to "back then" every time you sit on it. I still have my bike that was purchased new for me in 1981. Each time I sit on it I get the urge to say things like "Rad, Dude, Gnarly"......etc!

Peace!

Shane :smthup:

Its actually a blast to ride it around again. Its even more fun to see my 8 year old son ride around on it. He is determined to get some air with it, but its a little big for him right now.

I lucked out, it took me awhile to hunt the teacher down, since he had retired, but once I found the address I just fired a letter off to him, and it paid off. I must have a horseshoe up my butt or something. I lucked out even more that it was still completely original, right down to the pads and plate!

Robinson cruiser.....VERRRY seldom seen, and so cool!

What ever happened to Tom (nfr5111)? Last time I heard his name mentioned, he had found TWO JMC pit bikes and sold one to Marcos. Then, poof! Gone.

Tom moved out to Colorado, after I believe his brother fell ill and passed away - Tom underwent his own life altering turning point and pretty much changed just about every aspect of his lifestyle .... He was really good on the hunt and unearthed some amazing goods in his short stint in the hobby.

I remember his intro into the hobby was finding dy8409 in the burbs in RI resting on a apt build fire escape, that some teenage kid had aquired and listed for sale in a local classified section - crazy controversy and swindlers but I tried helping him thru the crap - wish I woulda tried to buy it in retro spect, considering it was og red and early and really nice etc-etc-etc - i still own a few peices we traded and bought or sold each other over those yrs

Can't believe it was so far back already - he used to call me on the cell before pics and texting - he'd literally sit for hrs in the shops and describe each and every piece he'd touch and I'd tell him whether or not it was worth scooping up or not. Damn this hobby was so different then.

For most people it isn't even a hobby anymore. Its "get that instant gratification by buying repops, get your ego stroked for a year or two by others that are just as ignorant, and get out". Even since i've been around, which isnt as long as many of you, I think the change has been terrible. Its a mere shadow of what it was.