Sign in to follow this  
broke L345

history of G BOY

Just want to know if anyone knows history and details of G BOY bikes?

numbers made, who made them, are they contactable, different models, who the best person to speak to would be? how I contact them?

I am building one and though I have loved them since I first saw Tim Cooks one (Juans) I really would like to know more about them.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Christian

NO one? nothing?

someone must know who made them.

Anxiously awaiting info here as well...

I was excited when I saw this post. Everyone is tight-lipped lately.

:Idunno:

I asked a long time ago also but no one seems to have solid info on them. You never really hear anything about them.... except that we all really want one LOL

G-Boy info just isn't out there yet. I've owned several and never been able to get decent grasp on the history of the company. It seems the guys who know everything don't know anything about G-Boy. There are several variations of frames and stickers and I think they first appeared in 77. They also made a triple clamp style fork, BB adapter and seat post clamp. Thats the confirmed stuff. Probably more. I'm going to say that the G-Boy ad was still showing up in early 80.

Someday one of us is going to run in to somebody that has the real scoop and is shocked that people give a damn. I'm waiting patiently.

According to Bob Bohn, Rancho's long time starting gate operator and one of the original "parent" of the San diego scene. (His memory is pretty good) The frame stood for "Gary's Boy" Supposedly a father named Gary _____ who was in the aircraft industry decided to build a frame for his son and a business soon developed.

Given Bob's history, I tend to give a little creedence to this story. I'll ask him more next time I see him

Dan, do you have any pics?

Reilley,

I'd really appreciate if you could. Thanks mate.

C.

Heres a couple of pics I have. this first one is one of Dan's former bikes. This was taken at Rockford in '03 I think.

g-boy03.JPG

I'm lovin' the Matthews fork on that puppy. :cool2:

This one was formaly owned by Tim Cook and was taken at Elysian park in '04

tims_g2.JPG

That's all I got :)

Oh man my old G-Boy! That's one I should have never sold. It was close to perfect (for me). A trimmed down brake cable and a proper freewheel and it would have been there. The Matthews fork was cool I used Redline clamps to hold on the Brian Co X-Bars on that bad boy. Campy hubs and cranks, Demco pedals, a Raleigh red dot (round profile not the lame square chopper tire) tire on the rear That's the only picture that exists of that thing. I heard it went to Canada after I sold it. I wonder if it's still in one piece?

Edited by DAN

Here's mine. It's stamped '76 and I just recently SOLD a stamped '78 f&f, so they were around for atleast 3 years... :Idunno:

gb004.jpg

Pictures of the '78 I SOLD.

Gboy2003.jpg

Gboy2001.jpg

That's the only picture that exists of that thing.

That's because when I first laid eyes on it at Rcoktrout I was floored! I just had to snap a pic of it. You had just taken it out of the box and put it together. Ill have to root around I think I have another shot of it in the show. :cool2:

This one is hanging up in the Patriot bike shop up in Fair Oaks ca. With G-Boy fork no less

rose46.JPG

Notice the tag on the wall next to it? I'll have to look to see if i have an un-edited copy of this shot so I can read what it says. It might shed a little light on the subject. :)

Thanks sodbuster, how cool is that, I gotta find out more.

does anyone know the contact details to patriot bike shop?

I found a better pic of the tag on the wall next to the G-boy frame at the Patriot bike shop.

DSC04592.JPG

it reads like this.

"Out of all the 70's frames the G-Boy has to take award for the largest most unique gusset in BMX. Back in the early days frame manufactures thought the answer to a strong frame was a big gusset. The perception of "the bigger the gusset the beefier the frame" is evident in the G-Boy.

G-Boy's distributed by Laguna never received much recognition although they were some of the lightest aluminum frames of they're day. There were two models of G-boy forks. The first which resembled motorcycle girder forks (they too) were aluminum. The forks shown here were the second model of aluminum G-Boy forks made right before the demise of G-boy."

Thanks agian for that, what a great read, anyone know who Laguna is?

Oh and don't stop the pictures comming, if anyone has more, please post them. Does anyone have any Idea how many were made?

Did I ask a stupid Question?

LOL your forgiven... Was never sure but I think Laguna was kind of like Panda/Boss they had there own frames they made for themselves and they distributed other brands of frames and parts for other company's.

Then also made some for other brands (from what I gather) I thought they had some kind of tie in with S&S also like they made them or vice versa?

Laguna had some cool 3-bar cruisers

Laguna was an early distributor of bike parts. They got heavily involved in BMX and pushed a lot of other manufacturer's bikes such as Jimmy Weinert and G-Boy. By Proxy, they were David's Clinton Sponsor.

They jumped on the 26" craze just in time and outsourced some very high quality cruisers as well as some nice 20"

Not 100 percent sure but they are still around distributing other product

I had one back in the day, boy do I wish that I still had that one :deadhorse:

Here's mine. It's stamped '76 and I just recently SOLD a stamped '78 f&f, so they were around for atleast 3 years... :Idunno:

gb004.jpg

What kind of mags are they?

gb004.jpg

What kind of mags are they?

WEBCO! :ThumbsUp:

On a personal note: Every time I see that bike my panties buldge. :30:

:ROTFLMAO:

There was a "TWO WHEELER" at Gonzo's with a set of fully polished Webcos