Sign in to follow this  
broke L345

history of G BOY

Hey Christian...you forgot this little gem in "BMX Down Under" book.Man...this has to be one of my Favourite BMX's of all time! I so love this bike!!!! G-Boy-in-BMX-Down-Under.jpg?t=1227365522

When i raced in Melbourne in the 80s i remember a Red GBoy in the pits..id say this could be it.I remember thinking poor kid his parents must not be able to afford a decent bike.

Hi everyone - this has been a great thread to read through and I'm glad to have found it!  Very cool to get some history and your commentary around it.  I have a 1978 G-Boy and thought it would be cool to share. I've included some recent pics.  Cheers, Dan 

IMG_5409.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg

IMG_5411.jpg

IMG_5412.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, steve bourke said:

nice bike. a few different decades of parts :)

Thanks, Steve - yup it's kind of a mix of what I had to work with!  Since posting here, I added an entry to the bmxmuseum.com forum as well where I went into detail about the history of the bike. It's here, if you're interested: https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=832465

Cheers,

Dan

I have my brothers G-boy. It still has the original chrome plating. He got it from Pete's bike shop (P.P.P.)in Norco around 1980. If I can figure out how to post a pic I upload a couple. 

• Like 1

Killer bike! Pete’s was a great bike shop. 

So the person who made Gboy (Grable-boy) is my Grandfather. He makes them all by hand and I'm not sure how many he made. but he is almost 90 years old now. He still hand makes them every once in a while for family gifts. His name is Gene Grable, him and his wife live in California. They are amazing beautiful people who i admire and strive to be like. Grandpa is almost 90 and still works harder than 99% of humans. Always creating and inventing. 

As far as anything about the bikes I do not know, maybe email for questions or something and see if I cant get you the answer. Anything I can do to help. Thanks :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keri said:

So the person who made Gboy (Grable-boy) is my Grandfather. He makes them all by hand and I'm not sure how many he made. but he is almost 90 years old now. He still hand makes them every once in a while for family gifts. His name is Gene Grable, him and his wife live in California. They are amazing beautiful people who i admire and strive to be like. Grandpa is almost 90 and still works harder than 99% of humans. Always creating and inventing. 

As far as anything about the bikes I do not know, maybe email for questions or something and see if I cant get you the answer. Anything I can do to help. Thanks :)

Didn't you post under a different name years ago?

Keri,  thanks for stopping through.  

Anything you could post about your grandfather would be appreciated.   Pics from back In the day…or pics now of anything related to the brand would be great.   Paperwork, designs, other products, etc.  

On 9/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, reilley1 said:

Didn't you post under a different name years ago?

That was probably Steven Grable on page 3 your thinking about.

• Like 1

Hi everybody from Barcelona. It's my first post on BMX Society despite I've been reading it often since 2011, more or less... 
I'd like to share 2 images that were not in this thread. Taken from the Laguna Distributors catalog from 1978. 
Note:
- there seem to have existed 2 different models of the "standard shaped" forks
- the fork has decals with the early logo (supposed to be found on 10 hole gusset frames)
- the frame seems to have a Stout decal on the top tube and a vertical version of the early G-boy logo on the head tube

1978 Laguna Catalog a.jpg

1978 Laguna Catalog b.jpg

• Like 1