Sign in to follow this  
broke L345

history of G BOY

SODBUSTER

you said "panties" :lol:

do you mean ,like man panties , or manties..

ew. There's somethin' creepy about that

does anyone know of a laguna contact number or email?

:ROTFLMAO:

There was a "TWO WHEELER" at Gonzo's with a set of fully polished Webcos

Polished MX-60's :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

bumping this with apic of mine, it's currently being painted. again any information on these bikes would be appreciatedI will post more pics of other g boys that I have copied from any where I could find them soon.

Gboy.jpg

Hey Christian...you forgot this little gem in "BMX Down Under" book.

Man...this has to be one of my Favourite BMX's of all time! I so love this bike!!!!

G-Boy-in-BMX-Down-Under.jpg?t=1227365522

• Like 1

That read one always cracks me up. You take a really light frame, stem, crank, tire and bar combo (not to mention really cool seat) and toss heavy wheels and forks with cheapo grips. Great book, cool parts, but silly buiild.

Does anyone have a set of G-Boy triple clamp forks?

I remember more of those than the other ones but I haven't seen or heard of a set since probably 1980. Of course I didn't really pay that much attention to G-Boys so I'm sure there were more of the regular ones but I know of at least 3 people who had the triple clamp ones.

never even seen them Randy,were they alloy too?here are some pics that I grabbed from where ever I could find them. hope I'm not upsetting anyone by posting them. I have to thank Roc, he had some of these posted on a bmx museum thread. I am also trying to figure out dates, serial numbers and frame styles. the first two pics have a 10 hole longer gussett with a gussett under the seat and top tube but no reinforcement on the sides of the seat tube/seat stay area. I am guessing these are earlier models. the red one was found in a shed in a rubbish dump and has been bubble gum weldedat the top of the seat tube. presumably that was a weak spot which lead to the side gussetts in later models.the seccond one I got from bmx museum, this one was obviuosly a christmas present but was later stolen............might be the same bike? only kidding.

gboy1.jpg

GBOY77.jpg

these two, first one is the Haney bike that sold recently on ebay forks included (what a bargain!!) and the seccond I got from Roc he was trying to figure out if some of these extra gussetts were repairs or factory?????this frame has little extras all over itat the rear of the BB, either side of the seat stay,

top and bottom of the seat tube and the obvious one strait through the middle of the frame. sorry I don't know how to get this picture larger to make it clearer.these also have an 8 hole shorter gussett, there are pictures of 8 hole longer gussett bikes too. Thanks forposting your pic Jackson, is that yours? do you have a serial number or any information on it?

gboy9haneybike.jpg

gboy2.jpg

Actually that last one with all the extras may be an 8 hole long gussett, I can't tell from the angle. the next one that's kinda maroon is a 8 hole long but again the pic is too small. If anyone can mess with these and repost them larger I would appreciate it. the last two here are the same bike and was restored as a father/ son resto project. they painted it orange and opted for new shcool parts, this also looks like an 8 hole short and though they believe it to be a '77 I believe the serial number starts with 78.(not positive on that).

gboy5.jpg

gboy6c.jpg

gboy6a.jpg

Now,

I bought mine as a 1977 G-boy "stout" the serial number is 78 1552 ( from memory, I don't have it in front of me....I'll have it back soon) but does that mean it's actually a '78? and what is the "stout" part. The one Mick "Volcano" put up (thanks Mick) also has different decals to mine, the main decal says Gboy M(something) G sorry can't make the whole thing out. I wonder what year or model those decals were out in comparison to the ones I have.I wish I could find this guy who made them, there are too mabny questions and not enough answers, bugger it!!

Roc's stamped 78 has the "stout" decal on the forks (mine's on the top tube)but the holligram head tube decal. That head tube decdal looks like it has some writing in the black aswell does anyone have a better picture of this? I can see this is gonna drive me to distraction.

AHH! silly me I just realised that jacksons 78 and Rocs 78 appear to be the same bike :wacko:

hey Michael just noticed you loged on This ain't fun :Frustration:

never even seen them Randy,were they alloy too?here are some pics that I grabbed from where ever I could find them. hope I'm not upsetting anyone by posting them. I have to thank Roc, he had some of these posted on a bmx museum thread. I am also trying to figure out dates, serial numbers and frame styles. the first two pics have a 10 hole longer gussett with a gussett under the seat and top tube but no reinforcement on the sides of the seat tube/seat stay area. I am guessing these are earlier models. the red one was found in a shed in a rubbish dump and has been bubble gum weldedat the top of the seat tube. presumably that was a weak spot which lead to the side gussetts in later models.the seccond one I got from bmx museum, this one was obviuosly a christmas present but was later stolen............might be the same bike? only kidding.

gboy1.jpg

GBOY77.jpg

Yep aluminum, they looked a lot like the chrome Panda forks. I know there a picture in one of the UBR newspapers of one of the people who had them, I'll see if I can find it.

I like your build so far Jackson,red and chrome will look cool. what does your head tube decal say? Is there writing in the black circle?and what is the serial number? :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

the serial on mine is 78-1400- the head tube decal is hard to read, Roc posted a good pic of it in his post on the first page. theres not to many around that are uncracked with the original finish on them so I'll keep it that way. the finish on my frame is not that great but that doesnt matter to me cause its 30 years old, used and survived without being broken then tossd into a dump or scrap pile.

The red G-Boy with the motomags, came from Eastwood Cycles in Sydney, Australia.

The photo would have been taken in 1980, its on taken on the back of the first corner at Ryde Eastwood BMX track, which was the first racing track and club in Australia.

G-Boy was imported into Australia by Comp. Developments who made the Quicksilver over here.

that's why the heavy parts.

thanks 4130.

Thank Damon...a wealth of knowledge you are! (now...where's your Suparoo with Hutch cranks?...hahahaha)

The very early G-Boys had an oversize seatpost (Schwinn "Sting" size) and had the drop-outs welded towards the outside of the looptail. Had a square brake bridge and kinda looked like an aluminum Webco in many ways.

Eastwood BMX track, which was the first racing track and club in Australia.

You sure? :)

AUSSIEBM-1.jpg

Did Bill Bastian have anything to do with GBoy? I ask because the G looks an awful lot like a Race Inc RA7 geometry and Race Inc made the Laguna GT frames for Laguna...........?

It was always said that Bastian had no relationship to the G-Boy frames. That being said I have had two with Race Inc stickers and seen others with the "shadow" of Race Inc stickers.

Lots pf stuff here.

But (unless I missed it) nothing really definitive on "who" was the main man at G-Boy.

Except for what Reilley1 wrote.

Rick, the letter from the 1975 BMX news is the only thing that i have seen from this track, a track that there are no photo's, results, nothing.

Jan and Steve Medows a couple from the U.S who where the first importers of mongoose, redline, cook bros., bicycle motocross action magazine and many others are the the ones who got Ryde Eastwood club up and running in March 1977, real race meetings every two weeks with a point score for end of year results.

When i started there was only Ryde Eastwood and in 1978 Windsor track in Brisbane 13 hours north of Sydney by car.

I grew up racing with older guys that i still know today and also the first president of the Ryde Eastwood club after the Medows bowed out to run there importing company Comp. Developments who made the Quicksilver frame in late 1978 over here and no one has ever heard about the club from the letter.

Another stange thing in that letter is they say they had photos posted in a Sydney newspaper, very strange since Sydney is 11 hours south of the Gold Coast.

I have raced pretty much non stop since i started in July 1978 and have every early newsletter, magazine, paper and same thing again , nothing.

There a photo's from the first race at Ryde in 77 and guys who where there, there's photo's of Windsor in 1978 so untill there is some real proof they did more than write a letter to BMX news its just a letter of interest.