Sign in to follow this  
broke L345

history of G BOY

Thank you for the useful information on this bike.

I have a 77 or 78 G-boy, serial 78-1368. (does this make it a 77, 78, or 79?)

I bought it with my paper route money when I was around 11 or 12, so that would have been 78 or 79. It cost me 300 bucks, but was totally worth it to me.

The bike was stolen, but I had the foresight to register it with the police, and they found it 6 months later. All the hardware had been replaced with garbage, so my folks got me a new set of Gold rims, cranks, seat post, brakes, and handlebars, plus a red gooseneck and tires (the bike is red) all of which are still on the bike today. I will have to check the forks to see if they are still G-boy or not. There are no stickers on them, the originals were taken off after the heist. I put some glittery stickers on the bike back in the day, and now if I try to pull them off, they peel the paint (they are on the top tube).

I will take an inventory of the parts on the bike, and post them to see if they are in need of replacing with better parts. The parts are all pretty much usable, I will need to take it apart to look. Haven't done that since I was about 15 years old!

I never raced it, I was just a trail rider, and it handled the load on my paper route. The frame is uncracked, just a few hitches, listed here.

The major problem is that it looks like they welded or torched part of the rear frame where the crank was hitting was hitting the frame. I have heard from another site there are folks that can repair this.

My question is, should I put it back together in pristine shape, or keep the original paint and finish with the slight paint peeling and welded mark on the frame?

I planned on letting my Son ride this bike when he is older, but I'm not so sure now, since it is a relatively rare bike. Plus, he is only 18 months old, so I have a few years to figure out how to proceed.

I asked this question on another site, and the consensus was to refurb it, of course. But how far should I go? That blue one on this site is freakin awesome, but I wouldn't want to ride it in the mud, for fear of a ding!

I guess I am just fishing for some feedback on the bike, since it was my first true love.

Also, how do I get my photos in the G-boy photo section? I keep getting an error saying I am not allowed to post them.

G_boy_1.jpg

add your bike, in here dave!

OK mine is slowly getting there.

P1050005.jpg

Rocs ex chrome one I believe has now come to Australia.

I have now seen the front decal, trying to make out the writing.

it says someting like

"G BOY MFG" on the top

a large G

then this is the hard bit to make out, on the bottom it sayssometing like...

NORCO CA 912** ?? or something any help again would be greatfully appreciated. any better pics of the holligram head tube decal would be cool.

Thanks.

ANY SERIAL # INFORMATION PLEASE PRIVATE MAIL ME THE DETAILS AND DESCRIPTION OF YOUR BIKE, THANKS

Did Bill Bastian have anything to do with GBoy? I ask because the G looks an awful lot like a Race Inc RA7 geometry and Race Inc made the Laguna GT frames for Laguna...........?

I used to work for Bill in the days surrounding 1976 or so. I don't know anything for sure about GBoy, but I do recall welding up a few bikes that were the same as the Race, Inc. bikes but had a larger forward flange. I do know that Bill sold a lot of frames under a number of different brands. I assume he was liscensing his products to others.

hello all of the G-boy fans.... this is the history of the Gboy BMX Bikes

my name is Steven Grable and for those of you who dont know who i am. I am the grandson of the person who made the Gboy bikes... and the real meaning behind the Gboy is (Grable Boy) my grand father and his four sons ran a bike shop out of the family garage and they were disbursed from there i have talked to a couple people as far as australia... i am 21 my grand father bult these bikes for two years 77-78 and they were all the same style and they were one of the first oven baked bikes out there in 83 other manufacturers started to oven bake them to make them stronger and then end up lighter, my grand father had always used a special "marking" i guess as u would want to call it. right where the frame ends up where the forks and the handlebars meet there was a little flap with holes i guess is the way to discribe it. like the early and mid mongooses had a simalar one it was like a reinforcement to keep it from seperating... i can remember riding one of these bikes when my grandfather took me camping one year and i was about 8 and that is when he advised me of him making the bikes it was very heavy compared to some of the newer ones (like my k2) but alot more built for abuse (unlike my k2) all of the bikes were assembled in the garage in corona california... my dad tells me that he used to have to spoke all the rims and he was paid like a quarter for every rim (now adays is like $5.00) and then they would dispers them from there..

any other questions feel free to email me imaprouddady@yahoo.com

p.s. if there is anyone that is looking to sell their Gboy bike i would be more than interested as i was born in 1987 and did not have the chance to own one i would love to show my grandfather that i own one of the bikes that he had made more than 30 years ago u can contact me yet again at imaprouddady@yahoo.com and I WILL RESPOND TO ANY EMAIL THAT IS REGUARDING A GBOY BIKE just put it in the subject or i will not read due to stupid spam............

thank you all so much

Steven Grable

hello all of the G-boy fans.... this is the history of the Gboy BMX Bikes

my name is Steven Grable and for those of you who dont know who i am. I am the grandson of the person who made the Gboy bikes... and the real meaning behind the Gboy is (Grable Boy) my grand father and his four sons ran a bike shop out of the family garage and they were disbursed from there i have talked to a couple people as far as australia... i am 21 my grand father bult these bikes for two years 77-78 and they were all the same style and they were one of the first oven baked bikes out there in 83 other manufacturers started to oven bake them to make them stronger and then end up lighter, my grand father had always used a special "marking" i guess as u would want to call it. right where the frame ends up where the forks and the handlebars meet there was a little flap with holes i guess is the way to discribe it. like the early and mid mongooses had a simalar one it was like a reinforcement to keep it from seperating... i can remember riding one of these bikes when my grandfather took me camping one year and i was about 8 and that is when he advised me of him making the bikes it was very heavy compared to some of the newer ones (like my k2) but alot more built for abuse (unlike my k2) all of the bikes were assembled in the garage in corona california... my dad tells me that he used to have to spoke all the rims and he was paid like a quarter for every rim (now adays is like $5.00) and then they would dispers them from there..

any other questions feel free to email me imaprouddady@yahoo.com

p.s. if there is anyone that is looking to sell their Gboy bike i would be more than interested as i was born in 1987 and did not have the chance to own one i would love to show my grandfather that i own one of the bikes that he had made more than 30 years ago u can contact me yet again at imaprouddady@yahoo.com and I WILL RESPOND TO ANY EMAIL THAT IS REGUARDING A GBOY BIKE just put it in the subject or i will not read due to stupid spam............

thank you all so much

Steven Grable

Hey Steven,

Welcome to the site! There's been alot of speculation over the years about G-Boy. I hope you can come back and share some more stories about the history.

It's been a long time coming! Thanks for showing up Steven. Grampa still around?

my grandfather is still around yes... but unfortunately he is no longer making bmx bikes :( as much as i would love to help him start it back up he is just resting and retired... and rick.... do u have any pictures? any pictures that u send me i can run by my dad and or my grandfather and they can say as to any details u wanted... if anybody has questions then feel free to email me anytime and any pictures my grandfather was so excited to be told that there is forums about his bikes that he was making in a garage.... well like i have said prev... email with any questions

Steven Grable

imaprouddady@yahoo.com

reilley...when are you gonna post pics of that G-BOY 16" sidehack that you got??? i wanna take a look at that thing again, maybe steven can help you authenticate it :email:

Would your grandfather be up for an interview? I'm not the one to do it but I'm sure there are members here that could consolidate the questions and put it in a nice format.

I'll post them when I get it finished but it's a G-Boy. It ran around the pits in San Diego, I remember it being red originally with the hack being black with all the decals

Me and Bob Bohn and a few of the old school Rancho/Lakeside/Las Palmas regulars have talked about that thing for years. I'm just curious as to other details.

Steven, I'll send you some pics tomorrow and again, thanks

i dont know about an interview i will ask him but i was going to say that any questions that you may have email me and i will definately get in contact with my grandfather and he will answer any of them

well i just got off of the phone with my granfather and i have the way that Gboy was started......

my grandfather said it was all by accedent....... immagine that, one of the local dads asked my grandfather if he could make a customised bike for his son that was smaller than the rest of the kids and could not win a race... so the guy my grandfather is decided to make one for the lil fella.... then after he made it all the other kids wanted one then POOF Gboy was started my grandfather said he had distributin companies in hawaii (3 of them) and then i believe he said 2 in australia....(i was about to eat and being a guy the level of thought runs dry when hungry) and he said that the 3 piece cranks that are still around were his idea and he was the first to use.... also the head piece right at the head unit by where the forks and the handlebars meet... if there are 8 holes you have the first gen if there are 10 you have the second

my grandfather said email me your questions and he will respond to them all then i will post them when i get it from him

thanks all of you so so so much

Steven Grable

Man, this thread has taken a sharp turn toward THE AWESOME.

Thanks for dropping in Steven Grable. :cheers:

hey Steven your here,

It's Christian from Australia

Why G "boy"? I understand the G part is your name but what about the rest.

is there a pattern to the serial numbers, they are stamped 76, 77 or 78 then a 4 digit number. Are the first numbers years?

you mentioned the 8 hole are 1st gen but they seem to be the ones stamped with 77 or 78, the 10 hole are stamped with 76 ( from what I have seen) .

does your G pa remember approximate numbers of bikes produced?

There also seems to be alot of little differences in bracing (smaller gussetts) on different bikes as shown earlier in this thread. I would like to know if these are factory , as in proto types etc.

what was the variation in decals, there is one that's kind of like script, one that says GB in checks and one that has the holligram G with norco CA on it (I think) and comes with the G BOY MFG decal on the down tube. and there is also the "stout" decal was that in reference to a short main gussett? I thought the 10 hole was the earlier models. oops.

What colors were the available in?

Does he know of a team called the "green machine" ? aparrently they rode green G boys.

another question how come mine is stamped 76?? they only made em 77 and 78??

i will copy all of that and i will send him the email and post it back on later im off at 7:00 pm pacific time and then they ill get back to me as soon as they can (my grandmother will type and my grandfather will answer) and to u suicyco my grandfather said that he actually mad these for 5 years last night he did not remember if it was 74 or 75 that he had started wthe bikes but in 77 and 78 were the biggest years well ill be back on later tonight all

This is GREAT stuff, Steven. If your Grandfather has some old artwork sitting in a dusty box somehwere, that would be an added bonus.

i doubt my grandfather has any sketches left he was more of just a put it together then learn lol he didnt do much drawing he helped me make a speaker box one time and he didnt do any sketching or anything he just went out there and started cutting lol he just is very decicive he seems to know exactly whay he wants and how he wants it done and it is usually perfect lol

Really cool info Steven. Thanks so much for putting this out there. My guess is that Roc may have been talking about print ads or promotional material. The G-Boys are very much sought after by collectors and there just isn't any info out there...yet. So every little piece of info you can provide really counts.

Thanks again!