broke L345

history of G BOY

I just stumbled on this site, and more importantly this thred.

Back when I was 12 years old (1982), I bought myself a used bike I had never heard of. The bike shop told me it was a G-Boy, but it had no markings or decals on it so I took their word for it. Having grown up in the garage restoring cars and motorcycles with my dad, I could see it was well made and I loved the light aluminum frame. When I bought it, it had a set of worn out, wobbly aluminum cranks on it. Being a broke 12 year old who just spent a 6 months paper route money on the bike, I bought a cheap set of steel cranks to replace them. I replaced the tires a few times and the seat once or twice. Other than that, I left it as I got it.

Jump forward nearly 30 years. I am building my kids a small bmx track on my property so I pulled out my old bike figuring I will jump on it and play around with them. It needs some TLC as it is covered in dust and the steering stem bearings are nearly frozen from 30 years of sitting in storage. I decide to do some research on the net and found this thread.

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge regarding the brand.

Steven, thank you for being the liason with your grandfather. And please thank him for building such a great bike. I have inumerable fond memories all thanks to the bike he built.

Here are a few pics of my '78 (78-1265) just as it came out of mothballs.

gboy-01.jpg

gboy-02.jpg

Back when I was 12 years old (1982), I bought myself a used bike I had never heard of. The bike shop told me it was a G-Boy, but it had no markings or decals on it so I took their word for it. Having grown up in the garage restoring cars and motorcycles with my dad, I could see it was well made and I loved the light aluminum frame. When I bought it, it had a set of worn out, wobbly aluminum cranks on it. Being a broke 12 year old who just spent a 6 months paper route money on the bike, I bought a cheap set of steel cranks to replace them. I replaced the tires a few times and the seat once or twice. Other than that, I left it as I got it.

Jump forward nearly 30 years. I am building my kids a small bmx track on my property so I pulled out my old bike figuring I will jump on it and play around with them. It needs some TLC as it is covered in dust and the steering stem bearings are nearly frozen from 30 years of sitting in storage. I decide to do some research on the net and found this thread.

Steven, thank you for being the liason with your grandfather. And please thank him for building such a great bike. I have inumerable fond memories all thanks to the bike he built.

gboy-01.jpg

gboy-02.jpg

very nice i want it :) its a beauty

This thread just keeps getting better.

nice pics WRX boy. Nice bike.

does anyone have that pic that Reilly1 put up he did a girls build recently and had an old pic where she was talking to two other girls on G boys, one was gold and I think the other was blue. That pic should be on here.

WRX BOY, I tried to private mail you but it wouldn't go through.

Sorry to do this on the list but if you were planning on maybe selling your bike I would love the opportunity to buy it. You'd be surprised how much I'll pay.

once again sorry to post this here but I couldn't get onto WRX Boy privately.

if you don't want to sell it, that's cool I hope you enjoy it.

C.

gboy-01.jpg

gboy-02.jpg

That's what it's all about! So great you kept the bike all these years. No jumping on those forks though. Even if you weigh what you did then!

Thanks for the comments on the bike. And sorry, no plans to sell it. Too much sentimental value.

Regarding the forks, why no jumping? Granted, I probably am 60lbs heavier, and a whole lot older, so it was not really in the plans, but if there is a safety issue with the forks, I'd like to know.

Thanks for the comments on the bike. And sorry, no plans to sell it. Too much sentimental value.

Regarding the forks, why no jumping? Granted, I probably am 60lbs heavier, and a whole lot older, so it was not really in the plans, but if there is a safety issue with the forks, I'd like to know.

You can pick up a modern bike cheap through craigslist, e-bay, etc

Even I would want to be extra careful with a G-Boy.

You can pick up a modern bike cheap through craigslist, e-bay, etc

Even I would want to be extra careful with a G-Boy.

I agree, find a cheap bike if you want to play around, not just because of the monetary value but I wouldn't risk the chance of breaking something with this much sentimental value. The G-Boy was notorious for cracking down by the BB and the forks had a steal steer tube with aluminum legs and will easily break. If you were to crack the fork, you won't find another, there are very few G-Boy's around with correct forks.

Quick question, what are these frame sets going for these days.

There was a time when these were posted far and few in between and now they are popping up left and right? (at least it seams like they are)

Have they come down a bit or are you guys still paying off-the-wall prices?

Quick question, what are these frame sets going for these days.

There was a time when these were posted far and few in between and now they are popping up left and right? (at least it seams like they are)

Have they come down a bit or are you guys still paying off-the-wall prices?

still off the wall pricing :Power.Grin: but worth every cent