Sign in to follow this  
broke L345

history of G BOY

mick You're finding some great stuff recently, bloody amaizing! still going in 79.

round brake bridge, round seat stay support, no other gussetts bracketts etc.

and no decals(?)

damn ! i just need a frame . is that too much to ask ????? yeah probably . haha . thanks for keeping this thread alive . very cool info . and that ad in 79 ? crazy !

I tried calling the number, it's been disconnected. bugger

what happened to the last guy, I thought you'd chase him up.I think it was on vintage.

what happened to the last guy, I thought you'd chase him up.I think it was on vintage.

no response from him at all . cuss.gifsad.gif

mine are all round, perry's are all square, like we were saying Mick I'm pretty sure 76 are square and 78 onward are round.

funny there doesn't seem to be any stamped 77s

no response from him at all . cuss.gifsad.gif

that sucks.

LOL, Kevin McNeal. There's someone who should have never been on a GBoy.

Forks look like they might be those Brian forks with the funky double???? dropouts(although I have no idea when they were made).

Found a pic of a 10 hole racing in July 1976 (note the height that Stu is jumping too!)

Gboy--Stu-1.jpg

Gboy--Stu-2.jpg

Edited by RandyS

:rawks: Oh yeah! ...I have found some Australian G-boy history!!!...from Damon Bevan (JMC factory rider from Oz...and he was there at this race)..he told me that this bike, #26, was dark blue with MCS forks and was racing at Ryde Eastwood Track. He also told me that he saw Gboy frames race in Oz in 1979, 1980 & 1981.

Check the headtube decal...

Here is the pic from the book BMX - "The Aussie Way" - Circa 1981...

Gboy---the-aussie-way.jpg

Edited by volcano

frame has come up nice Mick, keep the pics comming.

Found another advert circa 1978 - G-Boy forks sold as a separate item through "Everything Bicycles"...the search continues :ThumbsUp:

Gboy-Fork-Advert-1.jpg

I read through this whole thing last night.....wow quite a few more bikes found and alot of info.Rick was right with the square brake bridge on 76's and Volcano has posted some cracking info and dated pictures. But as usual, it just leaves more questions. I have tried to contact Steve to get a link to his pa several times with no success.

so....

10 hole and 8 hole were made in 1976 and are stamped 76 ****

no stamped 77 have been found

and quite a few stamped 78's

also one stamped GB ****

no stamped 79 and on have been found

in total at the moment there may be twenty frames that I could account for and less forks

if anyone has one or more please add it to the Gboy owners register on this list.

Decals have recently become an issue. most of the bikes BITD don't have decals. there is an advert in this post that shows the G BOY script under the front gussett, there is the G BOY MFG decal set and then the G BOY "STOUT" decal set.

are these all different models?

I have the only two frames that had the "stout" decal set on them they are both 78 but is this a different model to the one roc had that was also stamped 78 but with MFG decal set which VOLCANO now owns, my other G BOY is stamped 78 and has no sticker residue of any sort to determine what model it might be.

my last one stamped GB looks to have been annodized blue but powder coated over at some stage. according to Steve the early ones were annodized, however it is an 8 hole.

the 10 hole bikes have a MUCH shorter top tube but the 8 holes have a much more laid back seat tube angle.

I wish Gene Grable would read this and try to contact us, it would make working this out so much easier.

thanks again to every one who has contributed.

just rambling in frustration.

Christian

The very early G-Boys had an oversize seatpost (Schwinn "Sting" size) and had the drop-outs welded towards the outside of the looptail. Had a square brake bridge and kinda looked like an aluminum Webco in many ways.

the first g-boy frame was made using a webco frame as a pattern , changed the gusset for a better look , i owned the very first g-boy frame stamped 76-001 , i still have two frames , stamped 76-020 and 76-023 , they were made in a welding shop in 1976 in corona ca , 50 or so were built that year , any questions email me , i have pics for proof .

The very early G-Boys had an oversize seatpost (Schwinn "Sting" size) and had the drop-outs welded towards the outside of the looptail. Had a square brake bridge and kinda looked like an aluminum Webco in many ways.

the first g-boy frame was made using a webco frame as a pattern , changed the gusset for a better look , i owned the very first g-boy frame stamped 76-001 , i still have two frames , stamped 76-020 and 76-023 , they were made in a welding shop in 1976 in corona ca , 50 or so were built that year , any questions email me , i have pics for proof .

tmyray@yahoo.com

tmyray@yahoo.com

Just want to know if anyone knows history and details of G BOY bikes?

numbers made, who made them, are they contactable, different models, who the best person to speak to would be? how I contact them?

I am building one and though I have loved them since I first saw Tim Cooks one (Juans) I really would like to know more about them.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Christian

email me at ( tmyray@yahoo.com ) and i can tell you what i know . i owned the first g-boy frame built , stamped 76-001 , i ohave pics , also raced bikes in corona ca , in 75-76 i also have pics , it is neat to know there are still g-boys out there .. tim

welcome to the list mate join in the the fun, any information or pics would be awesome.

welcome again

Christian

old pics of anything is always well received on this list, you should start a new thread withyour 75-76 race pics who knows, you'll probably meet some people here that you raced against.

now back to the real bikes. any info or pictures of G boys would be awesome. I spoke to gene grable Jr but he couldn't put me onto his dad(bummer) and steve wasn't able to help me get onto Gene Sr either so we still sit Idle with regards to the History of these bikes.

hopefully you can fill in some bits of the puzzle.

welcome to the site man . hang out a bit . i think you will dig it here .

Christian,

In regards to your frame with no sticker residue, if the frame you are referring to is my old bike, it had no stickers on it when I bought it back in '83 or '84. At the time I bought it, I had never heard of G-boy and was only taking the shop owner's word that that is what it was.

Matt