broke L345

history of G BOY

i still have no frame . that makes me sad .sad.gif i have everything else . just no frame ...

Most of you know that this topic started October 2008, with me trying to find out any information about the history of G boy. Before this topic was started on society, there was very little if any truthful knowledge about how G boy came to be.

Although it started of being frustrating, I tried to keep it moving along when ever I could.

Fortunately a young fellow by the name of Steve Grable was able to put us in the right general direction when he stumbled upon this site we now know that G Boy was infact started by his Grand father Gene Grable sr. I have not had the pleasure of talking to Gene sr personally however I have spoken to his estranged son Gene jr who confirmed that his father infact built BMX bikes in the seventies.

I would still love the privilege to speak to Gene sr as I am sure would many of us and if he were to join here I believe he would be welcomed with open arms.

Last month a new member joined (Tmyray) and made a post that seemed to have gone by largely unnoticed. I emailed Tim and we have been chatting over the last month.

Tim’s Father, John Millman sr, commissioned Gene to build the first ever G boy. It was modeled off the Webco. Here is a picture of the first G boy built for the “little kid who couldn’t win races” (which Tim assures me, wasn’t true…I have the pictures of his trophies)

1.jpg

This frame was built in Gene’s machine shop and was smashed in two at Carona BMX track in ’76. It was repaired but apparently looked like shit so was disguarded. It no longer exists.

I have also spoken to Tim’s brother John jr. John jr is the proud owner of G boy #2 pictured below. (count the holes in the gusset ). Although battle scared with a couple of cracks this is the second proto type G boy with the style of gusset we now know.

a1.jpg

a3.jpg

When John sr had Gene make this next frame or shortly after, there was a run of 10 hole g boys made. The Millman’s were not aware, from what I understand, that there were any bikes made after this short run of 50 bikes. John sr received 10 of the 50 three of which are still owned by Tim and his brother John jr. And are not for sale. These three are pretty industrially put together and all have battle scars. The welding is quite lumpy hence the “seagull poop” quote. John jr tells me that when you lay the all together they are all slightly different he believes that they probably didn’t have a proper gig at this point in there history.

John Jr is currently trying to rebuild his 11 hole to it’s old race specs.

I’d like to thank them both for allowing me to chat with them, gather and post these pictures and information.

Here are a few more pics of Tim’s frames. Again thanks guys this is another massive chapter in the History of G boy. We now have the kids that these were originally built for.

Hope you all make them welcome.

Christian

a1 008.jpg

a1 001.jpg

111.JPG

• Like 1

oh great . i was in excellent mood . now christian went and reminded me how bad i need a frame for my g-boy fork . sad.gif

Sorry mate didn't mean to mess up your day :Power.Grin:

Ken, thanks, I have been talking about having a registry, and maybe putting the history as part of that. I really am to short of time to do it right now though.

how is this though!!! a one hole G boy and an 11 hole. I pretty much lost all bodily functions when I saw these pictures :wow:

haha .. all good my friend . and thanks for all the info you have researched for us . crazy g-boy fans . it is much appreciated .OSThumbsUpPeace[1].gif

This is what it's all about! To have the passion the drive the patience and the blind luck to to dig this info up and shine a light on the forgotten or little known corners of BMX history. Well done sir!bravo.gif

thanks everyone, just lucky that these guys found the list. there are still lots of things I want to know about the eight hole ones too, like I think Gene built enough in 76 for two years and then did a mass build again in 78 until he closed the doors in 79.

there are only 76 & 78 stamped bikes, except for the one I have which is stamped GB.

what stickers went on what bikes and model types are still un known too.

Thanks again

C

Most of you know that this topic started October 2008, with me trying to find out any information about the history of G boy. Before this topic was started on society, there was very little if any truthful knowledge about how G boy came to be.

Although it started of being frustrating, I tried to keep it moving along when ever I could.

Fortunately a young fellow by the name of Steve Grable was able to put us in the right general direction when he stumbled upon this site we now know that G Boy was infact started by his Grand father Gene Grable sr. I have not had the pleasure of talking to Gene sr personally however I have spoken to his estranged son Gene jr who confirmed that his father infact built BMX bikes in the seventies.

I would still love the privilege to speak to Gene sr as I am sure would many of us and if he were to join here I believe he would be welcomed with open arms.

Last month a new member joined (Tmyray) and made a post that seemed to have gone by largely unnoticed. I emailed Tim and we have been chatting over the last month.

Tim’s Father, John Millman sr, commissioned Gene to build the first ever G boy. It was modeled off the Webco. Here is a picture of the first G boy built for the “little kid who couldn’t win races” (which Tim assures me, wasn’t true…I have the pictures of his trophies)

1.jpg

This frame was built in Gene’s machine shop and was smashed in two at Carona BMX track in ’76. It was repaired but apparently looked like shit so was disguarded. It no longer exists.

I have also spoken to Tim’s brother John jr. John jr is the proud owner of G boy #2 pictured below. (count the holes in the gusset ). Although battle scared with a couple of cracks this is the second proto type G boy with the style of gusset we now know.

a1.jpg

a3.jpg

When John sr had Gene make this next frame or shortly after, there was a run of 10 hole g boys made. The Millman’s were not aware, from what I understand, that there were any bikes made after this short run of 50 bikes. John sr received 10 of the 50 three of which are still owned by Tim and his brother John jr. And are not for sale. These three are pretty industrially put together and all have battle scars. The welding is quite lumpy hence the “seagull poop” quote. John jr tells me that when you lay the all together they are all slightly different he believes that they probably didn’t have a proper gig at this point in there history.

John Jr is currently trying to rebuild his 11 hole to it’s old race specs.

I’d like to thank them both for allowing me to chat with them, gather and post these pictures and information.

Here are a few more pics of Tim’s frames. Again thanks guys this is another massive chapter in the History of G boy. We now have the kids that these were originally built for.

Hope you all make them welcome.

Christian

a1 008.jpg

a1 001.jpg

111.JPG

Christian, thought you'd like to know, I just got home from visiting with John Jr. He and I live about 15 minutes from each other. He bought a couple parts from me.

He's a super nice guy and has some amazing stories about SoCal 70's BMX and his family's history with making the GBoy.

His 11 hole gusset GBoy is a Holy Grail for sure. He told me that his Dad let Perry Kramer take out the very first GBoy he made, to test it out. He told him, "Don't break it!!!" When PK brought it back, it was broken in half.

they both seem like really nice guys.

John jr and Tim.

John couldn't remember who it was that broke it when I spoke to him.thanks for that info. :ThumbsUp:

did you hug his 11 hole frame?

John is building up the 11 hole to the same specs that he had when he raced it bitd with Araya 7b's, Redline forks, Scrambler bars and a Schwinn neck.

Such a cool frame and what a great family history. I'm stoked that John lives so close to me! We're planning on hanging again soon. :)

GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg

I agree Glenn... :ROTFLMAO:

Christian...have u seen these pics before?

gboy-fork-advert.jpg

gboy-frame-advert.jpg

mick can you remember where these adds came from and what year they both were?

just sorting out some facts. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]: