Sign in to follow this  
401flightcranks

Slotted axle on Son Lite Turbo hubs

I recently bought a set of wheels with some very nice looking Son Lite Turbo hubs. They both have the Titanium axles and appear to be all original. The front axle is ever so slightly slotted. Not sure if that is the correct word to use, but it appears to be filed flat (across the threads) on each side of the axle to fit a certain kind of fork (Schwinn Sting) in this case.

My questions: The slotted axle looks like it was finished like this at the factory. Could this be possible? I've never seen a Son Lite Turbo front hub with a slotted axle.

Is it possible that a bike shop back in the day would have filed the flat spots onto the front axle? It looks too perfect to have been done at a bike shop, but who knows. Maybe you could order these hubs with the slotted axle from Son Lite Racing.

Will post pictures tonight as I am at work at present.

Thank you.

Mark

Mark

i also have a set of Son Lites with the axles slotted, just on the ends...same story, too clean of a cut/slot for a "wack it at home" deal. i will post mine up also if you don't mind.

Jon,

Its weird. My front axle is slotted on the left and right side from the end of the axle to the aluminum collars.

Mark

i also have a set of Son Lites with the axles slotted, just on the ends...same story, too clean of a cut/slot for a "wack it at home" deal. i will post mine up also if you don't mind.

I thought all old school front axles were keyed (slotted) because a lot old school forks have tabs to keep the wheels from comming off when the axle is turned is turned in a certain position. I believe my son lites are the same way also.

The early Turbos were not keyed and would not slip into certain fork dropouts. So the started to machine one side of the axle only on the outer threaded portion.

^^^^ THANKS GREG!!!! that is how mine are slotted, just on the ends.

thought they were replaced, but i can tell they are titanium.

Yes, the hubs are filthy. I just un-laced them in the last 24 hours and they need to be cleaned up. The slot marks go all the way up to the aluminum spacer. They appear factory to me, but I'm no expert.

Picture_100.jpg

Picture_097.jpg

Here is a pic of a bike with a front hub like mine. Yes, the axle is titanium. Zoom in the hub and you will clearly see what I mean. Photo and bike courtesy of Chris Pridgen.

nr5_1_.JPG

dunno. i've never seen a flat axle in a set of Turbos, myself. i have done that to axles many times, though. if you have an axle-vise, you can make it look really good.

dunno. i've never seen a flat axle in a set of Turbos, myself. i have done that to axles many times, though. if you have an axle-vise, you can make it look really good.

WITH A FILE OR A LATHE?