Sign in to follow this  
micen2

Mongoose pro frame serial numbers??

I am wondering what defines a pro class frame in the serial. any special attributes to the proclass frame that came in regular chrome that would define it immediately by eyesight from a cali or expert?

M4K14259 ??

M3F4671 ??

what are these two frames?

These two seperate frames were for sale as pro class frames.

I asked the sellers how they determined these were proclass frames, and didn't get too many straight answers to those questions, except that they were told so by others. And so naturally i asked what defined the fram as a pro class to them? no certain answer...

I let the one seller know that his forks did not appear to be mongoose proclass forks...and that I didn't think his frame was a proclass ...his response was... "your a tool..i'll let the buyer know after the auction is done".

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-School-80s-BMX-Mon...id=p3286.c0.m14

by eye the easiest way is by the thick rear triangle unlike that ebay link

however the US spec supergoose is the same design

but has a heavier gauge tubing and so weighs more

Seller is a "Tool"!

That is a 1984 Expert/Californian...the serial # plainly shows it too be. Here are some pics of what to look for...serial # will always appear like the pic below on a Pro Class. Also...all 20" Pro Class frames will be dated from 1982 - 1984...I have yet to see a 1985 20" Pro Class although some say they were produced?

ProCLassdifference.jpg?t=1222609166

DSC00683.jpg?t=1222609262

NewProject1.jpg?t=1222609831

If the serial starts with an "M" its NOT a pro class

Pro Class was made in USA

Any mongoose with "M" was made in the Merida factory in Taiwan

Pro Class will have a serial # starting with a letter between "A" and "L"

It will also have the serial number stamped on the brace behind the bottom bracket and NOT on the bottom bracket itself

Atari ...i knew you'd have the lowdown...that avatar of yours shure makes me jealous. ;) you know i've been hunting for a few years for proclass frames.

No one even bothered to comment on those forks !

definately not mongoose.

heres the other pro class listing...this seller did not comment when i asked why and how this was determined to be a proclass.

watch how he blatantly dodges the inquiry.....lol

sigh......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...231#description

Q: Who told you this might be a californian pro class, and why? The pro class and californian are two differently manufactured models, and not the same bike. What is the serial number? It is located under the frame near the cranks. also are the bearings spinning/working smoothly...ie: cranks headset(steerer) wheels. mike Sep-27-08

A: Hi, thank you for the email. The serial number on the bike is M3-F4671. The bearings are fine, spinning,working smoothly. Thanks again.

love it .....ppl list auctions..."i know very little about these bikes so i'll do my best...

the tt measures blah bla from center of headtube to center of seat mast the bottom bracket is a blah blah the headset is a blah blah...and the chainstays and overall triangle are made of blah blah

but as for dents or incorrect listing titles...I claim utter ignorance. All I can say is i was told by someone who i can't remember..that this is the rarest frame you are looking for. If you buy this item it's your fault."

sigh.

By the way...my white chatw. stickered amer made 83 supergoose looptail is F for the first #

this one was discovered only partly built as a frame alone and looking as if it was never ridden....was wondering if the F meant sold as frame only.

theres another fellow listing forks that were from his supergoose from bitd...and they have 4 freestyle peg bosses in them...and front welded drops with cutouts....sigh.

So what would this Mongoose bike be? The frame has two different numbers. One starting with an FE-1D8H and also. HAMKL03120. Both on bottom of frame. 

2BDD38A1-773D-4744-B599-C672B3415CCC.jpeg

FD542ED5-87BD-4BA8-948B-7D384D9C7818.jpeg

6AB83052-3EF3-4A07-90CE-0C6D347BD2AA.jpeg

731C3211-662F-47A9-92BB-A69BB6BDB0AD.jpeg

Edited by Dick Dasterdley
Add photos and change selling.

I don't recognize those numbers at all. Post up a pic of the whole frame, maybe somebody can figure it out. 

Maybe Pacific era "Wal-Goose"? That's no pro class IMHO, never seen numbers like that on any 80's era 'goose. What's under the silver rattle can paint?