Sign in to follow this  
mongoosedrummer

Rock Stars and BMX

LA based drummer Mark Shulman, is an old friend of mine who had subbed for Matt Sorum on a Velvet Revolver Tour a while back (after Matt had screwed up his wrist in a waterskiing accident).

Mark knows I love OSBMX stuff and he related a little "inside story" to me recently that I didn't know of... He told me Slash is really into BMX and would sometimes ride around in the hall before and after soundchecks on a 20" BMX bike! This would really drive the Tour Manager nuts because of the obvious dangers of him possibly injuring himself and jeapordising the Tour.

Some of you may have know this already (Spike?) but I certainly didn't. Anyhow, I was thinking about this tonight and decided to do a quick Google search. Sure enough it's mentioned in Slash's Bio that he actually raced and won some competitions BITD and then I found this youtube link:

Sounds pretty rockin'!!! A bitchin' BMX jam!

I can't see why anybody of Slash's stature would do that video unless he truly is a OS BMX bro at heart!!! Very cool! :rawks:

yeah, slash is OG bmx :Liv2ride: my lady was reading his bio last year and showed me some pics of him on a webco b.i.t.d. he wrote about his love for bmx in there too, hes definitely down with BMX :ThumbsUp:

Dee Snider of Twisted Sister fame was/is into BMX too. The S&M Widowmaker was named for his post-TS band.

this old scan from Ride Magazine was borrowed from the Ryan Partidge S&M blog.

WidowmakerDee.jpg

Slash's Bio

In the mid-1970's, his parents separated. SLASH moved in with his beloved grandmother until he could sort out the situation at home. About this time SLASH discovered BMX (bicycle motorcrossing), joined up with a group of kids, and rode with a passion. It's not surprising to hear that SLASH would ride without brakes! SLASH eventually became a professional BMX biker winning awards and money for his great riding.

Guest zrims1

both of them are very interesting stories! Keep them coming!!!!!

look in the far end...slash keeping a eye on my collection...slash kicks ass...

Dee was racing in Florida in the early 1990s when we would go down there to vend and race the Florida State Series/NBL National Series in the "winter" months... where it was actually 70-80 degrees in south Florida and freezing ass cold back home in Georgia... he was a pretty good rider considering how late in life he started... I remember thinking he looked like Dizz Hicks... :whistling:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Seadooit....

What is that poster in the upper left corner of the picture?

Is that Murray?

Do you have a scan or a close up?

I just had a flashback to poring over BMX mags when I was a kid.

That's a great pic Don.. does your wife refer to it as the "kids" room?

That's what Val calls the garage since it just has a bunch of toys in it.

Or the Man room, Dungeon, etc..

JUSTIN...yep she calls it the kids room....or daddy and his stuff.....upper left is a trapper keeper from my jr. high days..it is a huffy zx2....

.....upper left is a trapper keeper from my jr. high days..it is a huffy zx2....

That's how I know that. I used to have the same one BITD. I wish I still had it. Do you have a better pic? thanks :)

Mike

Lenny Kravitz / Renny Roker / Jag Bmx

Nice Clothespin'n!

The Godfather was telling me about that connection a couple weeks back... Seems Renny is Lenny's Uncle. RT knows Lenny and Renny. Renny and Lenny... Ha-ha!

I know "Zoro" very well who lives around the corner from me and he grew up with Lenny and played for him throughout the early part of Lenny's career. What does this all mean? Probably not much... But I see it this way: Twomey, Renny, Lenny, Zoro then me and you! LOL! That's six degrees of BMX seperation! :rawks:

BTW, I lived in BC for a few years, beautiful place, killer riding too. Rock on brother... :cheers:

I used to ride with Dee Snider at Coral Springs BMX here in Florida back in the early 90's. Cool guy. He'd always bring his family out there and his son Jessie rode as well.

Dee rode a Hutch until S&M came along and made the "Widowmaker" frameset for him... which was the name of his band at the time.

I'll dig up some pics and will post em!

Blyther told me last weekend that he did show's in the 80's with a promoter who promted G & R and he met the band and gave Slash the HARO he was riding in the show.

thought that was a cool story