Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

For the love of JMC

JMC BMX - one of the all time greats.

The company still commands major respect over two decades after they closed their doors. It's an iconic brand and I hope that people will also weigh in on what JMC means to them personally.

The frames, forks and components are artisan quality. They were pretty forward thinking in terms of geometry and things like the integrated seatpost clamp (though I personally have mixed feelings about that one). The bikes are a joy to ride. Super dialed.

Of course there is another big factor... it's the way Jim Melton handled the company and still handles himself. Total professional, very accommodating, and one of the most remarkable and useful things to all of us at this stage of the game was that he kept great records so that anyone with a JMC can immediately get a lot of info from him about the history of their frame, simply by providing him with the serial number.

But there is something else I admire... it is a component of Jim's "legend". The guy was color blind! I'm not talking about mismatched shades of paint or powder... I'm talking about the multi-ethnic make up of the team. He was keeping it so real, and doing so in an era when you would immediately notice the unique composition of the team racially speaking. Obviously he was putting the best people he could come to terms with on the team. They were the best racers and knowing how Jim rolls, he probably took a decent and polite disposition into account too. That's all that seemed to matter. As it should be.

The bike industry is full of shady characters and crazy stories. I have never heard anything but positive assessments of Jim Melton. The guy embodies integrity.

Mad Respect! :bowdownAll:

Let's have a tribute thread. Post everything JMC.

I'll start. I like Andy Patterson - he's a good guy. On top of that... the JMC AP model is a fine ride.

JMC_APizzle.jpg

Andy astride a JMC AP model, Venice Beach, fall 2007

APizzle1_Venice9_11_07.jpg

APodiAdvertweb.jpg

APtestMarch1985.jpg

Cool Thread Steve.

I have a small connection with JMC down under.

My sponsor bitd was an Appollo dealer and they were the importers of JMC into oz.

His 3 sons were all factory JMC riders but only 1 was any good. Chris Doves. I had the pleasure of being friends with another 2 factory riders. Andy and Damon, who is also a member here.

No Damon, you can't have the cranks back!

Damon in the Under 14's. He was a big lad...

damon.jpg

Mr_Jim_Melton.jpg

Andy_jim_tinker.jpg

The fellow that introduced me to JMC and Jim had 2 sons that wanted to be co-sponsored by JMC. They were 3 and 5 years old. Sorry no pictures of them.

Not only ethnic, but Jim also produced F&F's for the little guy. 80 lbs and under. Something I have always respected him for.

This is one of the larger ones, The 3.1 XL. Recommended for riders 80 lbs and under. Serial # XL 7789

S. Brothers is absolutely correct. Impeccable record keeping and hand written. This is not a computer screen. But I did download it from one of Jim's letters. The 3.1 XL is the last one on the list. Sold to me, Calvin and Lora's Schwinn.

It would be nice to have every F&F on this page. :shifty:

Many, Many Thanks to you Jim Melton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ThumbsUp:

More later!

When I hear JMC, it embodies everything Steve said. I've had a few JMC's so that's all that needs to be said. If you've owned one, you know what Steve is talking about. Nuff siad!

Here's a couple I have owned. A "DY" Replica and a '83 Cruiser!

JMC3.jpg

jmccruiserday1.JPG

BTW, does anyone know who one's the one and onlt pair of 26" JMC forks??? I'm thinking Hainey's but I could be wrong. If you know please let me know.

Jim Melton is THEE BEST!

Bob Osborn used to give these out to company's that advertised in his magazine. I have no idea what company's got these, or what it took to get one, but you know JMC did what it took. When Jim sold his personal hall of fame items years ago, this is one thing that was in there. It has changed hands a few time's over the years, and I got it from Jimmy. I still have it because I was totally into JMC, Harry Leary, and of course Bicycle Motocross Action.

P.S. Nice #3 JMC Shannon. Seems like I have seen that one before. :whistling:

jmc.JPG

• Like 1

This is the one that did it for me back in late 81/82 - after staring at this ad and fantasizing for hours on end, day after day, i knew i had to have one - hell i bought the mag solely for this ad ..... they were like the sexiest frame sets ever designed in my opinion, they just oozed cool. So sleek and sultry, i couldn't help but be seduced .....

VANSad.jpg

Here's a classic. This photo made a deep impression. The memory of this page in BMXA lingers in the minds of so many of us.

DIALED And I do love blue.

From the September 1982 issue of BMX Action:

JMCbluemistshadowBMXA_9_82web.jpg

I remember that one, i thought that color was soooo cool

Anyway here's mine again.............thanks jim.......still love that bike :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

026.JPG

028.JPG

I loved that Shadow, too. I thought about doing one like that, having Cycle Art paint it, too, but it would be too small to ride. Not to mention I'm not sure I want to get into any replica projects now.

I concur with everything Steve said to start this thread. I still admire the quality, design, craftsmanship and of course, Jim's super attitude. He's the best. Unfortunately, as you may know, he suffers from early Alzheimer's disease. Let's hope it doesn't affect him too badly.

First time I saw JMC forks in the mags I thought they were the coolest looking things ever. I wanted some. Loved that ad Shinglehead posted. Same with the Vans ad. Stared at both for hours, I'm sure. Many years later I'd become friends with Brian Gass. Until recently, I had no idea he was in that ad. And then there was the July 1979 Harry Leary cover shot. . .awesome.

When I sold my beloved Torker in 1981, I went with a JMC Long Standard frame sans fork. I remember staring at it for hours. I loved the details. Unfortunately I traded it (somewhat reluctantly), hoping to sell the bike I got in trade for more $ and get a real Black Shadow with a JMC fork. The kid I traded it to ripped the head tube off a few weeks later. For a whole variety of reasons I didn't get another one BITD. But I did this past August. (Sorry, I know I've told this story before, but it fits here.)

Pics of my first JMC, circa 1981, again. And my new BS, again.

BTW, I'm looking for some NOS gold 7Cs or 7Xs for this. The Bullseyes are lame and I wanna build up some wheels with Phils. LMK, if anyone has any.

JMCSMOpt.jpg

JMCWithPlate_5SM.jpg

JMCWithPlate_4SM.jpg

JMCWithPlate_3SM.jpg

I JUST noticed the JMC of the OG frame stickers on my long standard were cut out in the center, unlike Jim's new repops. Hmmm.

my old race cruiser as tracked down a few years back: (and last couple made)

jmcold.jpg

when I got it home and gave it a quick wash:

jmchome.jpg

still working on getting it back into shape.

a recent build:

JMC.recent.build.jpg

and a few other projects:

JMC.frames.jpg

Jon

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that photo of me coasty, that's january 1983 at liverpool track in sydney, Australia.

One thing no one really brings up enough i think is that Jim stuck to his guns and kept everything made in the U.S instead of going to where ever would make your frame cheapest this week.

I spent 3 years riding for Jim from 1980 to 1983 so im a little bias.

JMC is and has always been quality! Jim is one heck of a nice guy as well!!

Here is my Shadow

IMG_3057.JPG

This is a pic of my Standard long from BITD.

Chandlerkr1up.png

My memories of JMC Racing are completely different from everyone else's I'm sure. I got to travel to a few races in the Midwest in the RV and went to every race in the St. Louis area that JMC was competing. I got to be on ESPN when they were at the Plantation in St. Louis (I was standing at the hair pin turn on the rail!) I got to play video games against Stu Thompson. All the best factory riders of the time stayed at my house. Darrell Young, Kim Jarbo, Danny Farmer, I got in a fight with a kid named Dustin, a few girls that raced, Carl Butler and many other riders along the way. Whenever my Grandpa would come in town there would always be local riders showing up at our house to try to get on his team. I remember going to the races and collecting stickers and putting them on our arms and getting sunburned and having an Oakley "tattoo". I used to get Vans whenever Grandpa would come in town and after he went out of business I kept wearing them to the point that I would have to cut the back off the shoes, making them "slip ons" until they completely fell apart. I still have my JMC long frame and I also have my sisters 3.1xl, plus at my parents house they 2 ten speed bikes that he made before he ever got into BMX (they are incredibly light even by today's standards!)

Thanks for the memories and tributes to my Grandpa!

I bought this plate, with DY's signature on it at the bottom.

It is DY's personal Plate, that was autographed.

I then corresponded with Jim melton ( he's GREAT this way!! ) and he said that he would say with-out a doubt that this was a plate that DY ran.

I then asked Jim, if I could send the plate to him, and have him sign it as well.

he said.

" I would be honored to sign a plate of Darrell's "

and here she is.

DY's Plate, signed buy DY...later signed buy Jim Melton ( thanks again Jim, if your reading )

this plate is now, in a good local friends JMC collection.

cheers,

Kev.

Darrellyoungplate0001.jpg

Thats a beautiful mini! Love it.

Here are some pics of me racin bitd.........

Afbeelding.jpg

IMAGE_131.jpg

IMAGE_16.jpg

Some pics of dy in the netherlands during the worlds in i think 1984

ddleone__darrell_young.jpg

darrell_young_gary_ellis.jpg