Sign in to follow this  
sandmslayer

Could we have some history and timeline on 1 1/8" threadless headsets?

It probably started with the dia-compe Aheadset, but I would like to know the different models of Aheadsets and when they came about. There's the SE-1 and SE-U1 that I think were quite early like '95/'96. But then what year did the SX-1 with chromo cups come out? Earliest I can trace it to is the '99 GT Fueler that I have that came with one stock. I think that's around when the TANK aheadset came out too...anyone know any specifics about the early Aheadsets and thier progressions through time? Good stuff for us midschoolers to know for building our mid-90's builds up correctly instead of just buying a Cane Creek one and throwing it on. Thanks.

Great idea, I think I have the material to research that. Cane creek owns the aheadset name now....I know I ran into that when I did my rat bike Herrington. I need to fix it, some bike shops still have the old "aheadset" sets.

already have six king headsets on bikes...burnt on them. i want get year correct aheadsets now. even on my newschool bikes i've been buying Token brand stuff...european brand. i have thier titanium-ceramic campy integrated headset on my .38 special racer. Soon gonna buy thier version of a king-type headset for my "all chromo project-light" Staats racer project. It looks like a king but has titanium races/topcap/bolt and ceramic bearing for about $100. But that's on my newschool side lol. having fun with proper aheadsets right now thats why this topic/post. i have a early warPig gettin ready for powder too that i want put a TANK aheadset on but dunno how time correct that is either...i know it's close though, and thats what I'm picturing on it so yea. Already played-out the PIG heasets on a couple bikes too.

I believe that Cane Creek (a division of Dia Compe now?) patented the 1 1/8" threadless headset Aheadset in its modern incarnation, but threadless headsets have been around since at least the 1930s...

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

I believe that Cane Creek (a division of Dia Compe now?) patented the 1 1/8" threadless headset Aheadset in its modern incarnation, but threadless headsets have been around since at least the 1930s...

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

yea i bet lol...quite a logical concept, but i wanted to pick ppl. brains about 1 1/8" threadless headsets as they came into BMX around 1994.

who remembers the first aheadset they had in the mid 90's? where and what did you start with if you were riding then when they came about?

I got a Dia Comp Aheadset when I got my Boss Hogg 24" cruiser in 1996. It was the first 1 1/8" threadless BMX headset I ever owned or raced. I liked it immediately because it was so much more stiff and easy to adjust than the older quill version 1" stems. Along with V-brakes, it was one of the most important performance/reliability innovations of the mid-school era. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

It probably started with the dia-compe Aheadset, but I would like to know the different models of Aheadsets and when they came about. There's the SE-1 and SE-U1 that I think were quite early like '95/'96. But then what year did the SX-1 with chromo cups come out? Earliest I can trace it to is the '99 GT Fueler that I have that came with one stock. I think that's around when the TANK aheadset came out too...anyone know any specifics about the early Aheadsets and thier progressions through time? Good stuff for us midschoolers to know for building our mid-90's builds up correctly instead of just buying a Cane Creek one and throwing it on. Thanks.

i think it was 94 when the first ever threadless bmx frame was offered, the gt fueler! the gt catalog even describes the oversized headtube for threadless forks as "mountain bike technology" lol

i think it was 94 when the first ever threadless bmx frame was offered, the gt fueler! the gt catalog even describes the oversized headtube for threadless forks as "mountain bike technology" lol

i'm diggin' the sounds of your reply...this is where I want to go into with this topic...even though I posted it initially months ago. I need someone to chime in on the MODELS of the dia-compe 1 1/8" threadless headsets starting from as far back as they know/remember...?

the earliest I can recognoze is the dia-compe SE-1 or SE-1U. was there an earlier version from this stripped-down basic steel one? was there just a "dia-compe aHeadset" ? also please chime what year you first remember any particular model(s) being offered from dia-compe in the 90's. thank you!

now i guess a good early lead to look in the '94 GT catalog to see if it states the model of headset with the first year Gt fueler kit in '94.

i am putting together a '96 DirtBike as we speak and the frame will be back from powder either this or next week and I want to put a SX aHeadset on it but the earliest proof i have found of this headsets existence is 98/99 so far...anyone know that one? my '99 fueler has a chrome-cupped SX on it and i desperately wanted a chrome cupped one for this dirtbike but, i have since only been able to attain 3 of these in black cups only...doesnt easily swith with others due to the larger chromoly cups that take a higher bearing count. i guess this was the top bmx diacompe aheadset before the TANK in '99 or so. i want to hear about ppl. seeing the diacompe SX aheadset in 96 or 97 !!! help! lol.

i'm diggin' the sounds of your reply...this is where I want to go into with this topic...even though I posted it initially months ago. I need someone to chime in on the MODELS of the dia-compe 1 1/8" threadless headsets starting from as far back as they know/remember...?

the earliest I can recognoze is the dia-compe SE-1 or SE-1U. was there an earlier version from this stripped-down basic steel one? was there just a "dia-compe aHeadset" ? also please chime what year you first remember any particular model(s) being offered from dia-compe in the 90's. thank you!

now i guess a good early lead to look in the '94 GT catalog to see if it states the model of headset with the first year Gt fueler kit in '94.

i am putting together a '96 DirtBike as we speak and the frame will be back from powder either this or next week and I want to put a SX aHeadset on it but the earliest proof i have found of this headsets existence is 98/99 so far...anyone know that one? my '99 fueler has a chrome-cupped SX on it and i desperately wanted a chrome cupped one for this dirtbike but, i have since only been able to attain 3 of these in black cups only...doesnt easily swith with others due to the larger chromoly cups that take a higher bearing count. i guess this was the top bmx diacompe aheadset before the TANK in '99 or so. i want to hear about ppl. seeing the diacompe SX aheadset in 96 or 97 !!! help! lol.

im not sure but i THINK there was the plain old diacompe AHEADSET at the beginning.... i may be wrong tho, its hard to remember small things like headsets like almost 15 years ago lol.

I had a purple Chris King on my custom made Rubicon in '94... That was a bitch, I had to buy a complete P-61 kit just for the stem and I had jad make the forks for me...